ideoplastic

New MD11 for P3Dv4.3

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, signmanbob said:

The engine start does not seem realistic on this at all.

With the real (PMDG) MD11, much is automatic.  It pretty much sets itself up to start. This version doesn't seem to do that and I ended up having to Ctrl+E to get the engines started and then they just whip-up to a running state, one after the other.

Oof -.- Exactly what I hate. I'll probably pass on this MD-11, as much as I miss having that aircraft. Thanks for letting me know Bob!

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

5 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

 

OK. This plane is a no-go then. Too sad. If I buy a simulation, I expect that the systems - at least for normal operations - are as close to the REAL aircraft as possible. Even the FMS appears to be nowhere compared to the Pegasus Honeywell FMS in the real bird. Then also a high price tag is justified. I will stick with PMDG MD11 in the meantime (which works well in P3DV3) and wait for the MD11 from Rotate in Xplane instead.

Yes, the FMS is bare-bones.  You put ORIG/DEST and use the simulator to load the flight plan.  

The INIT and FLTPLN page is all that there is.  No other pages. So there is no VNAV, PERF, PROG or TAKEOFF pages. Also the FLTPLN page does not show altitudes.

Makes it very quick and simple to set up a flight, but not realistic.

Share this post


Link to post

See, this plane seems almost just right for me... good looks, good FPS and light on the systems.  If only it was in the $35-40 price range.  There is a market out there for guys like us.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

See, this plane seems almost just right for me... good looks, good FPS and light on the systems.  If only it was in the $35-40 price range.  There is a market out there for guys like us.

Yup, as I said, I think they've well and truly shot themselves up the @ss with the price; they'd make far more money from volume sales if they offered it at a price where lots of people would be prepared to give it a go.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Yes, the FMS is bare-bones.  You put ORIG/DEST and use the simulator to load the flight plan.  

The INIT and FLTPLN page is all that there is.  No other pages. So there is no VNAV, PERF, PROG or TAKEOFF pages. Also the FLTPLN page does not show altitudes.

Makes it very quick and simple to set up a flight, but not realistic.

Bob, was it able to track an ILS approach?  Also, how's the A/T? 

For those of you interested in the FMC, you can find detail information about it's capabilities here:  emarciano.free.fr/En/EasyFMC_Doc/Intro.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, as I said, I think they've well and truly shot themselves up the @ss with the price; they'd make far more money from volume sales if they offered it at a price where lots of people would be prepared to give it a go.

Alan,

I have to disagree; I think we're all stuck in the past, as it relates to Flt Sim pricing norms.  It appears every developer has taken the opportunity to raise prices, using P3D development costs as rationale to do so.  You highlighted Virtualcol; well, their latest CRJ cost $26 USD, which represents a 44% price increase over their prior release (SAAB). I suspect we'll continue to see moderate price increases from them as they react to the new norms.  Again, developers are simply charging more for P3D for some nebulous reasons.  It stinks, but $44 USD is probably the new standard for a lite/moderate P3D heavy airliner. I don't know if this represents the correct equilibrium price or not; however, when looking at the market, I don't believe it's absurd either.  Some companies are charging $140 for their complex BASE models; pushing the ceiling allows less complex models to raise their prices too...simple economics.  After all, this MD-11 is 230% cheaper than the upper price ceiling.  In fact, if you extrapolate the numbers further, the MD-11 represents a good/fair deal.  Rewind the clock 6 years ago; back then, the price ceiling for a complex airliner was about $80; conversely, lite models (F-lite, CLS and QW) cost around $30, which was about 167% cheaper. As you can see, in todays market, the Sky SIm MD-11 represents a better value than CLS aircraft of 'their day.'  In short, Sky Sims is only following market trends; we're crazy if we don't think other companies will continue said trend.  In fact, they already are, including Virtualcol.  We only have ourselves to blame for these unwarranted price inflations, which I hope don't prevent young and/or retired people for joining our hobby.  In short, our outrage shouldn't be directed at Sky Sim; they're simply reacting to the market that WE allowed.  Instead, perhaps we should look at our so-called industry leaders, which are often heralded without regard to how they're impacting the fragile Flt Sim ecosystem...

Edited by kingm56
accuracy
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

we're crazy if we don't think other companies will continue said trend.

Nope, we're crazy if we choose to pay for it, so I won't, and I hope others won't either. I am not averse to paying for anything I think is worth the money, but this MD-11 is basically an update of an older product. They've done some reprogramming of the systems, the 3D modeling has been updated, the textures have been upped in resolution and had some lighting effects added, and they've added wing flex.

You think that's worth 40 quid? Because I don't and I'll tell you why too. The iFly Boeing 747-400 for P3D V4 is only 45 quid (i.e. just £5 more) and it was even less than that if people had bought it for FSX previously because Flight 1 offered a discount coupon. This is an add-on airliner which is going to have a free update shortly which will include an additional 747-8 variant, so that's two variants of the Boeing 747, with all the systems realistically simulated, for a fiver more than Sky Simulations are charging for a 'lite' update of an old FSX add-on.

It's worth 30 quid, tops, probably more like 25, and the only reason they're charging more for it is because they're hoping to cash in on people missing their PMDG MD-11 in P3D V4, and it ain't no PMDG add-on, or iFly for that matter. I mean come on, the Majestic Dash eight pilot edition is the same price as this MD-11. Are you really gonna tell me it's as good as that and worthy of the same price tag?

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Alan,

I concur with you; however, you and I cannot impact the market alone.  The simple fact is, we, as a community, have allowed these price escalations.  Also, your iFLY example reinforces my notion regarding the impetus of said price inflations. Specifically, it was released in 2011/12, before the 'new ceiling' was set.  At the time of its release, it represented the current market value for a solid rendition of a modern airliner.  If it was released today, you bet it would be more than $54 USD; in fact,  I'll bet you a cold one their 737 MAX will be closer to $100 than $50.

If anyone is interested, they can do some research and discover when the escalations began; it's not that difficult to decipher...

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Alan,

I concur with you; however, you and I cannot impact the market alone.  The simple fact is, we, as a community, have allowed these price escalations.  Also, your iFLY example reinforces my notion regarding the impetus of said price inflations. Specifically, it was released in 2011/12, before the 'new ceiling' was set.  At the time of its release, it represented the current market value for a solid rendition of a modern airliner.  If it was released today, you bet it would be more than $54 USD; in fact,  I'll bet you a cold one their 737 MAX will be closer to $100 than $50.

If anyone is interested, they can do some research and discover when the escalations began; it's not that difficult to decipher...

Well, the IFly 747 for P3Dv4 was released in July 2017, I think, so... I do agree with you that there is a ridiculous inflation going on and I'm pretty sure to what companies it is linked, and this is probably driving other companies to increase their prices as well, as you two already said. I'll just add that, for me, it comes down to decency. That said, I don't know what's goingon behind the scenes. I've understood there's some politics and legal sides to some of these things as well that may drive the costs up for some companies - but then again, as I said, I have absolutely no idea how these things work.

As it is, I personally wouldn't go for this plane even if it were 10$. I don't think I'd fly it. Just seems too basic for me overall.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/18/2018 at 8:18 PM, kingm56 said:

It’s the latter; however, if you own FSBuild or EFB2, you can simply include the SID/STAR into the flight plan.   In fact, EFB2 is dynamic; so, if the STAR changes, you simply have to update EFB2 with new data and it will dynamically update your flight plan.  This allows you to fly SID/STARS with Eric M FMSLite. It does not, however, allow for vertical navigation. You’ll need ISG1 for that...,

Have anyone checked out if ISG1 avionics works well in P3Dv4? In particular with this plane?.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Have anyone checked out if ISG1 avionics works well in P3Dv4? In particular with this plane?.

 Cheers, Ed

The do, Ed; Ernie updated them for the 64-bit platform.  You can download the updated package on his page....

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

The do, Ed; Ernie updated them for the 64-bit platform.  You can download the updated package on his page....

Thanks Matt. Got them! (v1.86, as I read).

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Thanks Matt. Got them! (v1.86, as I read).

Cheers, Ed

No problem, Ed; thats the correct version too.  If you get the MD-11, let me know what you think; it's my favorite aircraft....

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kingm56 said:

No problem, Ed; thats the correct version too.  If you get the MD-11, let me know what you think; it's my favorite aircraft....

Of course I will, but still thinking on it.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'll probably stick with my original plan for a freighter... Get the CS75F whenever it's available. Much, much more expensive, but at least I believe I'll get something more up my alley than this MD-11. Or alternatively, if QW ever get their 757 into P3Dv4 (which I know they were working on), then that would be a solution as well.

Just saved me from reading 5 pages. That was where I was at when I heard about the Md-11 and it sounds like were I will stay.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'll probably stick with my original plan for a freighter... Get the CS75F whenever it's available. Much, much more expensive, but at least I believe I'll get something more up my alley than this MD-11. Or alternatively, if QW ever get their 757 into P3Dv4 (which I know they were working on), then that would be a solution as well.

Or, if you had your heart set on a big old jet freighter, you could go with this baby, which is on short finals for its release (in a couple of weeks or so)...

5nwbQQV.png

Edited by Chock

Share this post


Link to post

In reference to the liveries included in the package, are we talking about these ones, or I'm missing some?:

- Delta

- KLM

- FedEx

- UPS

- Martinair

- Swissair

- House Colors

Does anyone knows if the repaints released/posted for the previous version (FSX) at AVSIM or other forums would work with this new version?.

Cheers, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Chock said:

Or, if you had your heart set on a big old jet freighter, you could go with this baby, which is on short finals for its release (in a couple of weeks or so)...

5nwbQQV.png

Just Flight?

I wish some one would make an smaller freighter (a jet or turbo prop or piston, anything...) of this kind!

Share this post


Link to post

There are 737-200 fraighters available for P3D v4 as well as Shorts.

Share this post


Link to post

There's also Carenado's C208 Caravan for which there is a freighter expansion. FedEx uses those extensively.

Share this post


Link to post

Still gonna do a video on this plane was in the air 6 hours yesterday with student pilots (I’m a CFI for a living) and I was a bit to tired to make a video yesterday lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kiki said:

I wish some one would make an smaller freighter (a jet or turbo prop or piston, anything...) of this kind!

Check out the Milviz Boeing 737-200 Combi if you want a jet freighter, it is approximately the same price as this MD-11 but a bit more 'study sim'. Features the WX Advantage Radar, True Glass and Real Light.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kiki said:

Just Flight?

I wish some one would make an smaller freighter (a jet or turbo prop or piston, anything...) of this kind!

 

Also, Aerosoft / Michael Cependa has a DC-8-50 Jet Trader (freighter) version of his DC-8 in the works.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, edpatino said:

Thanks Matt. Got them! (v1.86, as I read).

Cheers, Ed

Ed, the first review is up on YouTube; it's in Japanese but you can still get a good look at the aircraft and it's capabilities.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, z06z33 said:

Still gonna do a video on this plane was in the air 6 hours yesterday with student pilots (I’m a CFI for a living) and I was a bit to tired to make a video yesterday lol

Thanks again, David...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now