Sign in to follow this  
Tregarth

X Plane 11 shakes

I am new to X Plane 11, previously an FSX/P3D user.  I am starting to use the default Cessna and even sitting on the runway the panel and scenery shake really badly much worse than in FSX.  If I move the eye point to the back of the cock[pit the shaking reduces to 0.  But when I am at a sensible viewpoint the instruments shake (vibrate?) badly.

Is this normal for XP or is there a setting I need to turn on or off? 

Thank you,

Tregarth

Might be your controller.  Xplane11 did not like my Saitek Controller nor another controller I bought.  I finally had to settle on the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which solved the shakes that I saw.  I have not had a problem since.  You can try adjusting some of your controller settings to see if that helps.

John

Thank you both. Zooming in and out showed max shake at the mid point of the slider.  As soon as I disconnected the X-52 Joystick the shaking stopped. Tried switching Cinema Verite on and off - no difference.  What does it do?

Looks like I ned a new joystick.

Regards,

Tregarth

7 hours ago, Tregarth said:

Thank you both. Zooming in and out showed max shake at the mid point of the slider.  As soon as I disconnected the X-52 Joystick the shaking stopped. Tried switching Cinema Verite on and off - no difference.  What does it do?

Regards,

Tregarth

Joystick support was my only quibble with Xplane11, it did not recognize the joysticks I had until I bought the Logitech.  My joysticks worked fine in P3D which polls the joysticks differently than Xplane11.  Once I got the Logitech Extreme 3D the sim became something much better, and I almost did not buy it--I was on my way to Best Buy to buy a newer Saitek when I decided to stop at Fry's Electronics and go with the Logitech.  Xplane11 recommends some pretty heavy controller hardware for the sim, yoke and rudder pedals, but those were not in my budget or would fit well in my small apartment where I use my breakfast bar as my computer table, not even enough room for multi monitors.  Sometimes you have to improvise around space, LOL. 

One other thing I like with the Logitech is although it is not Force Feedback, it has the feel of every aircraft I have ever flown in real life with a stick, having only flown an Ercoupe with a yoke and no rudder pedals once in Texas (take that back, I have flown a Cessna 170 and 172 once for a few moments with friends back in Napa) .  It centers nicely yet moves with slight pressure of the hand.  I had to adjust Xplane11 to compensate for this to have a bit of a neutral zone so I would not overcontrol my aircraft with my heavy handedness, which was my curse when I flew for real with my CFI's saying "USE YOUR FINGERTIPS MORON!"  OK, they did not say Moron but I heard it echo in my head, LOL. 

Favorite aircraft stick I ever held was a Luscombe 8A I almost purchased, even though it was a taildragger I was in love with the harmony of its controls, rudder, elevator and ailerons, and the CFI checking me out in it complimented me on how well coordinated my turns were and how I handled it in gusty winds aloft, he only handled the landing since I had never landed on grass before.  But it was all Luscombe, not me, that made me fly it so well.  I had advice from a Luscombe expert in Arizona, Doug Combs.  I did not purchase it because it had to be hand started.  I hand started the Luscombe when I flew it with the CFI and owner in the right seat, but I did not like it at all, even though I started it on first pull like he said it would. 

Later on with the popularity of the 8A in Light Sport a small electric starter became available for it, but I had lost the opportunity to buy the one I flew, which also had a lovingly restored interior and fine price, about 20K as I recall.  I flew from Arizona to PA in 2007 to check it out and the owner put me up overnight in his house and picked me up and drove me back to Philly.  He lived in the woods, in a beautiful custom built home.  Such nice people, those folks in PA, my ex boss and owner of a company I worked for went to Penn State, but my daughter at Northern Arizona University would quibble about the best school, LOL....

Sadly we had to cut my test flight of the Luscombe short when we saw a flash to the northwest, unforecast embedded thunderstorms were approaching and as we made it back to the grass strip, just as we touched down, it started to rain and made the strip soggy and unflyable, and unlandable.  He drove me back south to Philly after he bought me breakfast at his fav restaurant and the storm passed, we enjoyed a sunny drive back to Philly.  Of all the pilots I have ever met aside from the famous and sadly passed Bill Garnett and Dennis Carley in Florida, he was my favorite, although my first flight instructor in Light Sport, Jason Bullard out of Falcon Field in Mesa Arizona, was a favorite as well, half my age but with the wisdom, patience and unflappability of a seasoned commercial pilot.

John

Edited by Cactus521

10 hours ago, Tregarth said:

Tried switching Cinema Verite on and off - no difference.  What does it do?

Regards,

Tregarth

Cinema Verite introduces a small amount of movement  rather than having a rock steady view of panel and scenery.

My joystick, rudder, throttle quadrant  are CH Products . No problem being recognised , calibrated , functioning in game.

If you can get access to the potentiometer of the slider a small amount of WD40 spray in the general direction of the contact surfaces might get you out of trouble.

My favorite joystick ever was one I had for my first PC, it was a small joystick made by a company called Wico, more of a game controller than a regular joystick, that I used with Flight Assignment ATP.  It gave me fine control during the years I had it, but finally it went squirrley on me and I moved to another joystick I did not like as much.  I like the Logitech I have the most of any joystick since, it is such a solid piece of hardware as Logitech products are--I had a ball mouse that lasted forever from them, still works today, for a PC I built in 99, which also still works today 20 years later and sits in my closet with Flight Assignment ATP still on it as well as FS2002.  I have not booted it in years, but I keep it because I built it after hearing I was going to become a Daddy, I made it a music computer with a MIDI interface so I could play my keyboard/synth for my infant daughter, I used to compose New Age instrumentals using MIDI software like Winjammer.  On a tangent I play with this site now (www.audiosauna.com), you can program old synths and play them on your computer keyboard and even score songs which I save with Audacity, a wav and mp3 recording program. 

Begs the question how many of us simmers play instruments, I used to be a mighty good singer and was in a concert choir in my school years and early to mid teens, even cut a record album with them in 1970.  On my last tour with them, we chartered a bus we did every summer between 1970-75, singing our way from California to Chicago and had a flight booked home since the bus was based back east, we could not take it back to California.  Since I had family in Chicago and had graduated that school that year, my choir director, former school principal, now 80 years old and still good friend, gave me the monetary value of my air ticket and I flew home alone on my first widebody flight ever, at age 14, in a United DC10 out of Chicago staying on two weeks after our tour ended.  I digress from flight sim controllers, lol, just love talking about travel and flying, one thing leads to another. 

John

Edited by Cactus521

Thanks for the info, will try Cinema Verite on my next Carrier landing in the Cessna.

Didn't need another stick - I simply reassigned the jerking slider to Off and later to Speed Brakes - all is now good.

Thank you,

Tregarth

On 10/19/2018 at 5:19 PM, Tregarth said:

Zooming in and out showed max shake at the mid point of the slider. 

Yes, it is my finding too, and I disabled this slider also for zooming. I couldn't reply earlier to this post. I hope it will be possible to change this in 11.30, with the new axis settings.