Sign in to follow this  
cannow

Rift

What settings are you guys using to get a smooth experience with the rift. I allways get microstutters and my frame rate is halfed when using the rift . GTX 1070 smooth outside of vr . I can turn all setting on rift down and same in sim still cant get it smooth . Assuming it may be because my monitor and rift work at two different refresh rates. Any help appreciated.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Smooth experience in what sim?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sorry forgot to say p3d 4.3

Colin hodds

Well, you have a 1070, which I have no experience with.....

I would say start with default settings, then slowly turn things up till you begin to get stutters, keeping in mind that the real killer is autogen.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Also are you using VR vanilla from P3D?

I always tried it when a new version was released but I never was happy with it. 

I am using flyinside which works much better then p3d vanilla vr. 

Don’t set frame rate to unlimited. In fly inside set to 15 frames and in sim set to 30 frames that fixed it for me. Also ssds for the sim is a must.

Edited by AccusedChip
Grammer

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

do you have the same issue without overclocked CPU ?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

yes overclock turned off using vanilla p3d not . To be honest its not bad but I find it strange that my framerate halfs when using VR and when I bank I see stutter tried turning PD right down and ag antialiasing off see little difference don't mind low frame rates but stutter is annoying. May give fly inside another go did not work well last time I tried it but more experienced in vr now.Seems to take over sim and make 2d flying difficult.

Colin hodds

Use oculus tray tool?  

Set supersample >1.5 for image quality and asw=off to prevent stutter/jitter. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I think it's a matter of having the settings too high for most part. You didn't list your settings so I don't know what you mean with "turning the settings down"

In the sim get rid of all settings that will tax the GPU as it's already working extra hard with the VR - get rid of all settings that won't make a difference in VR. The resolution is low so added clarity of textures won't give you much anyway.

I turned off shadows - especially the ones you will barely even see from the cockpit in VR, like external airframe shadows. I only have internal cockpit shadows enabled. Shadow quality to low and and draw distance to low.

I turned off tesselation - can't tell the difference in VR anyway.

I turned down texture resolution to 1m - can't tell the difference in VR anyway.

Don't use high def textures  - stick to 1024 max - can't tell the difference in VR anyway

No dynamic reflections

I turned down AA to 4msaa - higher AA doesn't seem to make much difference anyway. FXAA to off.

Don't go above normal for autogen - Autogen draw distance to medium at the most.

keep Airline traffic reasoanble.

Set level of detail radius to medium at the most - detail in the distance will not be very clear in VR anyway

If you're using Active sky - reduce cloud draw distance and set max cloud layers to 2. Reduce visibility to approx 75 or 85 and match cloud draw distance to this. There's no point in drawing clouds futher out the the limit on visibility.

My sim is smooth with the 1070 in most situations with these settings and still look good enough using PMDG birds. I use 1.8 supersampling.

Edited by andreh
  • Upvote 1

First off, you must understand that P3D just doesn't have enough performance even on a single HD monitor to provide a super smooth experience for VR. VR has to generate a slightly different 3D image for each eye (left / right) to get stereo to work and on top of that it is generating the image with a much wider field of view (100 degrees) than usual for a monitor (maybe 60 degrees) - more 3D objects to process. You should definitely use Single Pass Stereo mode for best P3D performance  and you will need to make a lot of compromises to get fairly smooth operation. You need to start with a simple aircraft that has steam gauges and a fairly simple scenery area - not a high-end complex airport. You will be lucky to get enough performance to even run with Oculus ASW (half-frame repeat with simple pixel offsets at 45fps). A good rule of thumb is to see that you are getting at least 60 to 70 FPS when using a 2D monitor in the same scenery area, the virtual cockpit, and same settings.

VR is the way to really enjoy a flight simulator in my humble opinion! I have P3D (which until recently wasn't much good for VR) and Aerofly FS2 (the best VR performance but missing any third-party aircraft) and even though I have three monitors for wide viewing, I much prefer VR since everything is to real world scale - even with less resolution currently.
   I was excited to see that the VRS F-18+TacPack bundle released recently would work with P3Dv4.2 and was hoping that it would run smoothly in VR with ASW (45 fps image interpolation). It turned out that I had to craft(tune) some very specific settings in order to fly without stutter - most of the time. My system is a medium performance PC running WIndows 10 - 4.2 GHz 6-core i7, Nvidia 1060 6gb, SSDs - so anything more than that should be able to add back some desirable features like the canopy model and cockpit shadows but I recommend that you start with these settings before you add back. I knew from previous experience that I had to be careful to use a scenery area that should have great performance due to its simplicity and lack of major airports, so I chose to focus on Kaneohe Bay on the northeast side of Oahu - the Marine airbase PHNG. I have the older Megascenery Oahu photoreal but there is a freeware project (that has a FPS reduction) for Oahu from the following:

https://hawaii-photoreal.com/downloads-fsx-p3d/

Settings for Oculus Tray Tool: (use Steam VR settings for the Vive and WMR)
Prepar3D    SS=1.4    ASW Mode = 45fps    Normal    WMI

P3Dv4.3 Settings
Virtual Reality Tab
    On screen display mode = Double View
    Headset Display Mode = Single-Pass Stereo View
Graphic Options
  DISPLAY 
    FXAA=off, AA = 2XSSAA, Ani=8X, Texture=2Kx2K
    Frame Rate Target = Unlimited, Vsync=off, Triple=Off
    MimapVCmode = checked
  WORLD
    LOD=Ultra, Tess=High, Mesh=10m, TexRes=7cm
    Scene Complex = Dense, Autogen Dist = High, Autogen Veg = Normal, Autogen Bldg=Normal
    Water Detail = Low, No Bathymetry, No reflections
    SpecEffects = Medium
   LIGHTING
     HDR off
     No dynamic
     Landing-Lights = checked
     No lens flare
     Shadow qual = low, Shadow Dist = low
     Cast and Receive ONLY for External Vehicle and Receive for Internal (i.e. no cockpit shadows)
  WEATHER
     Cloud dist = 80
     Cloud Cov = Medium
     Detailed clouds
     No more checks
  TRAFFIC
    None!! - this is a real performance downer
  APPLICATION
    Pause on task switch = unchecked

Hope this helps!

Dave W

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Thanks all this is all great advice and what I am looking for . Spent weekend balancing and got fairly good results . Turning off HDR and lowering the resolution of the screen . The monitor that is not the rift freed up a lot of resources. Still not quite happy seen the last 2 posts tonight excellent advice will play with these settings next weekend and see if I can improve.

Thanks great support.

Colin hodds

On 10/24/2018 at 3:41 AM, whitav8 said:

First off, you must understand that P3D just doesn't have enough performance even on a single HD monitor to provide a super smooth experience for VR. VR has to generate a slightly different 3D image for each eye (left / right) to get stereo to work and on top of that it is generating the image with a much wider field of view (100 degrees) than usual for a monitor (maybe 60 degrees) - more 3D objects to process. You should definitely use Single Pass Stereo mode for best P3D performance  and you will need to make a lot of compromises to get fairly smooth operation. You need to start with a simple aircraft that has steam gauges and a fairly simple scenery area - not a high-end complex airport. You will be lucky to get enough performance to even run with Oculus ASW (half-frame repeat with simple pixel offsets at 45fps). A good rule of thumb is to see that you are getting at least 60 to 70 FPS when using a 2D monitor in the same scenery area, the virtual cockpit, and same settings.

VR is the way to really enjoy a flight simulator in my humble opinion! I have P3D (which until recently wasn't much good for VR) and Aerofly FS2 (the best VR performance but missing any third-party aircraft) and even though I have three monitors for wide viewing, I much prefer VR since everything is to real world scale - even with less resolution currently.
   I was excited to see that the VRS F-18+TacPack bundle released recently would work with P3Dv4.2 and was hoping that it would run smoothly in VR with ASW (45 fps image interpolation). It turned out that I had to craft(tune) some very specific settings in order to fly without stutter - most of the time. My system is a medium performance PC running WIndows 10 - 4.2 GHz 6-core i7, Nvidia 1060 6gb, SSDs - so anything more than that should be able to add back some desirable features like the canopy model and cockpit shadows but I recommend that you start with these settings before you add back. I knew from previous experience that I had to be careful to use a scenery area that should have great performance due to its simplicity and lack of major airports, so I chose to focus on Kaneohe Bay on the northeast side of Oahu - the Marine airbase PHNG. I have the older Megascenery Oahu photoreal but there is a freeware project (that has a FPS reduction) for Oahu from the following:

https://hawaii-photoreal.com/downloads-fsx-p3d/

Settings for Oculus Tray Tool: (use Steam VR settings for the Vive and WMR)
Prepar3D    SS=1.4    ASW Mode = 45fps    Normal    WMI

P3Dv4.3 Settings
Virtual Reality Tab
    On screen display mode = Double View
    Headset Display Mode = Single-Pass Stereo View
Graphic Options
  DISPLAY 
    FXAA=off, AA = 2XSSAA, Ani=8X, Texture=2Kx2K
    Frame Rate Target = Unlimited, Vsync=off, Triple=Off
    MimapVCmode = checked
  WORLD
    LOD=Ultra, Tess=High, Mesh=10m, TexRes=7cm
    Scene Complex = Dense, Autogen Dist = High, Autogen Veg = Normal, Autogen Bldg=Normal
    Water Detail = Low, No Bathymetry, No reflections
    SpecEffects = Medium
   LIGHTING
     HDR off
     No dynamic
     Landing-Lights = checked
     No lens flare
     Shadow qual = low, Shadow Dist = low
     Cast and Receive ONLY for External Vehicle and Receive for Internal (i.e. no cockpit shadows)
  WEATHER
     Cloud dist = 80
     Cloud Cov = Medium
     Detailed clouds
     No more checks
  TRAFFIC
    None!! - this is a real performance downer
  APPLICATION
    Pause on task switch = unchecked

Hope this helps!

Dave W

I think you should try vsync on and turn off ASW. I think you will get smoother experience. This is because in P3D 4.3 with vsync on it locks to multiples of the headset framerate so for rift on 90 that is 45, 30, 22-23. You don't need ASW because of this. The final FPS is lower but smoother.

I think you should not use 2x SSAA which would very likely overdrive your GPU. MSAA is better.