Sign in to follow this  
Polymerman

Turbo Commander 690 -P3D4- Lake Tahoe to San Francisco

Nothing more exciting than the approach into SFO which I flew on so many times when I was a business systems instructor.  It was always breathtaking to be so low over the water, seeing the runway underneath at the last possible second before touchdown, and the occasional go around due to traffic, repeating the same approach again....

John

• Like 1

Thanks for your view and comment John.  I could never do this flight with FSX because I would get to the approach and Oh the OOM's would hit me..

P3D4 in the 64 bit environment makes that a thing of the past.  I've learned so much in my retirement with flight sims and i think it helps keep me pretty sharp at 73 but, I do misplace the odd key every once in a while.😀

11 minutes ago, Polymerman said:

Thanks for your view and comment John.  I could never do this flight with FSX because I would get to the approach and Oh the OOM's would hit me..

P3D4 in the 64 bit environment makes that a thing of the past.  I've learned so much in my retirement with flight sims and i think it helps keep me pretty sharp at 73 but, I do misplace the odd key every once in a while.😀

I did not have issues with FSX and OOM's on my old system, even when I lost 4 Gigs of my 8 Gigs of RAM after lightning blew my power supply and damaged part of my old motherboard on my Gateway, and I flew with a lot of homemade photoreal scenery like my Colorado scenery here at Avsim (which also works in P3DV4 even though compiled with the FSX SDK).

I saved the system with a new power supply and pulling the 4 Gigs of Ram from the two banks that were fried.  But I could not run Xplane10 on that system, which I had purchased, I would get OOM's even with 8GB of Ram minutes into flights with minimal settings.  So with my new system I was on the fence about getting Xplane11 but it was recommended, I gave it a try, and have enjoyed it along with P3D immensely.  Both sims give me different experiences and flavors of flying, P3DV4 gives me my MSE photoreal and large suite of Carenado aircraft and Xplane11 is beautiful alone with its default scenery, atmospherics, mesh, its default S76 copter, 172 and Cirrus, and Areolight 103 Ultralight, and my add on Carenado PC 12 and Aerobask Eclipse.

I constantly shift back and forth between both sims depending on where I want to fly--in Europe I love Xplane11, in the West I love P3DV4.

John

• Like 1

Wow  John no OOM's with FSX.  You must have had the right tweaks working.

Always got them in heavy scenery areas like NYC or San francisco.

Even with my great rig (16 GB RAM, 4 processors) because of the 4 K virtual memory limit imposed by 32 bit system.

I took a look at x-plane when it was beta and didn't find it realiastic. 

I enjoy takeoffs, landings and most of all scenery.

I swore I'd never give up FSX but did and am extremely satisfied with P3D4.

1 hour ago, Polymerman said:

Wow  John no OOM's with FSX.  You must have had the right tweaks working.

Always got them in heavy scenery areas like NYC or San francisco.

Even with my great rig (16 GB RAM, 4 processors) because of the 4 K virtual memory limit imposed by 32 bit system.

I took a look at x-plane when it was beta and didn't find it realiastic. 

I enjoy takeoffs, landings and most of all scenery.

I swore I'd never give up FSX but did and am extremely satisfied with P3D4.

I am surprised you did not find Xplane11 realistic.  I felt Xplane10 was unrealistic but Xplane11 with my scenery add ons is quite nice, especially the way the sky is rendered.  I am not as happy with Xplane11's Cumulus clouds, one has to tweak them to get them to look right whereas P3DV4's clouds nail it, in my opinion.  The Xplane11 aircraft I fly feel quite comparable to P3DV4, it depends on the developer, back in the days of Xplane10 MSFS flight dynamics experts dug into Xplane knowing Microsoft was leaving the hobby, and found you could get flight dynamics any way you want in Xplane, and the copters are wonderful there, especially the S76.  When I want to practice flying in windy conditions, I fly Xplane and my landings with crosswinds are much more real life than P3D.  When I want to enjoy avionics and photo scenery and good GA aircraft, then I tend to fly P3DV4, and of course its clouds are beautiful.

Xplane11 has some annoying bugs, I call them the Langoliers, like one I hit in Jasper yesterday where this "force field" seemed to appear and kept my aircraft from speeding up until I fought clear of it.  I see them as bluish areas when I fly, they are few and far between but they are out there, and they are real LOL!

John

• Like 1