Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

9900K/9700K Overclock performance review

https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

In this review only 5.2 with a $400.00 Plus water cooling solution. Not very encouraged at this point.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

More:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/19/intel_core_i99900k_9th_generation_cpu_review/6

"the best (9900K) CPUs are not doing more than 5.1~5.2 all-core on great water. Most in our labs are around the 4.9~5 with a triple radiator and high flow fan setup. A H115i might get you 4.8 all core. The higher end boards are going to help you maintain the OC longer, but with the way these CPUs are, it is going to be a shock to a lot of people expecting more. Intel has these on the ragged edge for that ... 5GHz turbo boost."

Yep I know Rob was hoping to get in the 5.6 or 5.8 range but it looks like the new reality is just run it out of the box and pray you can keep it cool. I try to avoid that "get the last 10% no matter the cost mentality" and I need to upgrade my system but had hoped for a bit more. It is still a killer CPU but like many others.....consider me shocked. LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

53 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Let's See

+1  Keep in mind too, that the Techspot reviewer was not a simmer but more focused on productivity results (where the AMD offerings generally do well).  I'll wait for more of the consumer overclockers to chime in.  Evenso, I've two builds already planned using the 9900K... seems it could be very popular. 😋

Greg

For reference : my cinebench single thread score is 225. 5.0 / 4133 memory

Edited by FunknNasty

56 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

More:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/19/intel_core_i99900k_9th_generation_cpu_review/6

"the best (9900K) CPUs are not doing more than 5.1~5.2 all-core on great water. Most in our labs are around the 4.9~5 with a triple radiator and high flow fan setup. A H115i might get you 4.8 all core. The higher end boards are going to help you maintain the OC longer, but with the way these CPUs are, it is going to be a shock to a lot of people expecting more. Intel has these on the ragged edge for that ... 5GHz turbo boost."

Pretty sure he was using HT. The power draw and temps should be managable with HT off;  with that said, it should be a worthy upgrade for anyone coming from a 4 core processor and maybe even a 6 core.

31 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I've two builds already planned using the 9900K... seems it could be very popular. 😋

Agree....I am not going to jump off the roof just yet. LOL I am considering maybe the 9700 as I only use my computer for P3D and am not convinced that HT has much benefit. I also still have a problem mixing water with all those queertrons running around in those metal boxes. My dad did a good job teaching me that sort of thing!

Sam

I’m still amazed these bench publishers don’t test with the fastest verified memory associated with the tested mobs, especially with coffee lake, so we can get an idea of how the imc performs. this bologny of using the same memory for the amd comparative is so wrong.

Edited by FunknNasty

3 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Pretty sure he was using HT. The power draw and temps should be managable with HT off;  with that said, it should be a worthy upgrade for anyone coming from a 4 core processor and maybe even a 6 core.

Good point. Do you agree that 9700 is just as good for Flight sim use only?

Sam

10 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I’m still amazed these bench publishers don’t test with the fastest verified memory associated with the tested mobs, especially with coffee lake, so we can get an idea of how the imc performs. this bologny of using the same memory for the amd comparative is so wrong.

played with one 6weeks ago,

IPC no difference, imc like a good 8600k-8700k fhats all

the soldering is not as good as we think , delidd with condonaut give you 10c lower temps.

1 minute ago, westman said:

played with one 6weeks ago,

IPC no difference, imc like a good 8600k-8700k fhats all

the soldering is not as good as we think , delidd with condonaut give you 10c lower temps.

Thanks man!

at Sam regarding 9700: I do

12 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Thanks man!

at Sam regarding 9700: I do

Your apex is better then all 4slots Z390 mobos with a 9700k-9900k(mem OC)  and the FRQ OC the same no need for a new MoBo, you run easy 4600mhz with right mems

Here is Romans video, 

Edited by westman

3 minutes ago, westman said:

Your apex is better then all 4slots Z390 mobos with a 9700k-9900k(mem OC)  and the FRQ OC the same no need for a new MoBo, you run easy 4600mhz with right mems

Wow. Thanks again.

36 minutes ago, westman said:

Thanks.....that is very interesting.The Video Starting to make me think we are getting diddled a bit by intel with some smoke (pun intended) and mirrors.

Edited by shivers9

Sam