Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

9900K/9700K Overclock performance review

3 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Personally im a GSkill fan.

Scan UK seems to favour Corsair but I’ll do some research, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, westman said:

My second PC , siming and play with res 2560x1440.

No fancy cooling no big Chassi.

fractal R6 , 8700k (delidded) Ht off, AIO Fractal 360 (3x120 rad) , mobo Asus Z370 Apex, mem Gskill, GPU 2x1080TI cooling NZXT G12 with Kraken X42.

Cinebench R-15 single tread 240 (239-241) 

Stabitility test AIDA64

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1y1fn0m8xadwns/8700K-Aida64.png?dl=0

This is pretty impressive.. An 8700k with 1.21 Volts  running @ 5.50Ghz ? Really? 

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200.

I have test 4 kits of this ram, not want to be rude " the worst DDR4 kits i ever test" the G-Skill 3200 c15-c16 is much better.

17 minutes ago, joemiller said:

This is pretty impressive.. An 8700k with 1.21 Volts  running @ 5.50Ghz ? Really? 

Dont use the CPU-Z voltagemesure not accurate, cpuz is set to XOC, always use Fluke multimeter for the vcore. Real Vcore 1.44V its a low lekage cpu

Edited by westman

8 minutes ago, westman said:

I have test 4 kits of this ram, not want to be rude " the worst DDR4 kits i ever test" the G-Skill 3200 c15-c16 is much better.

Thanks, duly noted.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, westman said:

Dont use the CPU-Z voltagemesure not accurate, cpuz is set to XOC, always use Fluke multimeter for the vcore.

Whoa, that device is like $200.00 ++  So what is your Vcore on this chip. I am tempted to go with this 8700K. (Not desperate, yet. LoL.  But, this is pretty good.)

Edited by joemiller

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

I just saw this article... and did you notice Cinebech  R-15 Single Core results?

- 8700K= 193

- 9900K= 211        // 18pts  of difference.. What does this equates to in terms of performance?  2 or 3 fps?  See..this is what bugs me big time, when these companies promise you the world, and all they do is raise the performance only a tiny fraction on every new chip they come up with. Therefore in 3 generations, you will have paid around $1,000 for a gain of 9 fps. Isn't that crazy?  Why not make a good CPU once and for all?  (ohhhh, it's called legal robbery, aka as 'business.'  Sure).  Sorry,  this practice makes me really mad. 

Same problem running a 4790K, not overclocked but "Multicore Enhancement" (all cores up to 4.400). Cinebench R15 single core values of 170-180. Similar differences in other single core apps compared to 8700K. For 8700K, I find values of 190-200.

So comparing the Cinebench single core results, I will gain 25-30%.
Running a complex aircraft with a complex airport, limited by CPU, I would expect an increase in fps from 20 -> 26 , from 25 -> 32.

Concerning the additional costs (RAM, Mainboard, bigger PSU, GPU - as my GTX 1070 isn't actually limiting the 4790K, but has to be replaced by a 1080 or 2080 for the 9900K), the increased heat dissipation (CPU & GPU), I will have to think about an upgrade many times in many sleepless nights 😉

BTW: there's no "good CPU once and for all" - especially for flight simmers with the exotic need for super single core performance. The way CPUs go is more and more cores. The way simulators have to go is to use more and more cores. And use more and more GPU power.

59 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Scan UK seems to favour Corsair but I’ll do some research, thanks.

My last 4 GSkill kits were from Amazon UK Ray. I dont use Scan much anymore, had to return a monitor a while back and the returns system was pretty slow and an age to get my money back. Amazon was pretty much instant RMA.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

My last 4 GSkill kits were from Amazon UK Ray. I dont use Scan much anymore, had to return a monitor a while back and the returns system was pretty slow and an age to get my money back. Amazon was pretty much instant RMA.

They built my current PC and it's been fine. They're within an hour's drive so very convenient. I don't trust myself with overclocking and in any case if you build a PC yourself there's no warranty except on individual components.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They built my current PC and it's been fine. They're within an hour's drive so very convenient. I don't trust myself with overclocking and in any case if you build a PC yourself there's no warranty except on individual components.

Fair enough. Right for you then Ray. 

This was a monitor that arrived with a big boot mark on the box and upon powering up, the screen was smashed. Numerous emails and after jumping through several hoops I finally got my money back. Very slow process. They weren't particularly apologetic either. Amazon in the same circumstances has been an instant RMA number provided. Super quick, money back instantly. 

Edited by martin-w

Aida 64 stress test 9900K at stock... 103 degrees! Yikes! TJ Max is now 115 degrees.

8700K 68 degrees. 

Edited by martin-w

45 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Fair enough. Right for you then Ray. 

This was a monitor that arrived with a big boot mark on the box and upon powering up, the screen was smashed. Numerous emails and after jumping through several hoops I finally got my money back. Very slow process. They weren't particularly apologetic either. Amazon in the same circumstances has been an instant RMA number provided. Super quick, money back instantly. 

I think you were just unlucky Martin. I bought a BenQ 27" from them and it was fine as has everything else. Well except some bad memory but they swapped that out without a murmur.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I think you were just unlucky Martin. I bought a BenQ 27" from them and it was fine as has everything else. Well except some bad memory but they swapped that out without a murmur.

Oh yes, the damage to the monitor wasn't Scan's fault, it was trodden on by the courier no doubt. It was just the protracted RMA process and delay getting my dosh back compared to Amazon that made me go elsewhere. Scan may have changed their (jump through hoops) policy since then. Hope so. 

P.S. Just noticed 9900K 619 quid at OCUK, yikes! 8700K and delid it would be my choice at that price. 

Edited by martin-w

7 minutes ago, martin-w said:

P.S. Just noticed 9900K 619 quid at OCUK, yikes! 8700K and delid it would be my choice at that price. 

And mine. I'm looking forward to Rob's tests.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

How about the 9700K Turbo Boosted to 4.9?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-9700k-s-1151-coffee-lake-refresh-8-core-8-thread-36ghz-49ghz-turbo-12mb-1200mhz-gpu-95

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather