Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

9900K/9700K Overclock performance review

15 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Having RMA’d an 8086K cpu a couple of months ago I would have egg on my face if I went back and reordered it.  It seems my retailer has sold the one I sent back but are expecting more stock soon.  

I will postpone wrist slashing until I see real world non ES testing of the 9900K/9700K preferably with P3D but not looking good.

Bruceb

No shame in reversing a decision when the circumstances change!

Seems I have a bit of egg...make that Newegg...on my face as well.  Scuttle is that preorders of the i9-9900K aren't going to start shipping now until Nov 21st, with the backlog still getting cleared out through December.  Not one bit impressed with Newegg's deceptive Facebook hype: "In stock NOW and ready for preorder!"  And also not too impressed with Intel running a big rollout campaign for a tiny handful of retail product available on release day.

So out of principle, I'm gonna cancel that preorder and if I do end up with one of those CPUs, it'll be 6-12 months from now when the prices have come down and we know a lot more about what the retail production chips can really do.

So, I'll be making the hour drive to Denver in a little while to pick up a new 8086K (which was on sale for $20 over the 8700K instead of the usual $60-75 premium).  Gonna get it professionally delidded, and see what it'll do.  I have two friends that both run the 8086K, and both rave about it.  Silicon Lottery reported that 100% of the 8086K chips they binned clocked to at least 5 GHz on all six cores.  My 7700K was pretty close to exactly what I need...it's just those stutters when the new terrain/textures load and the two cores doing that loading both spike to 100%.  The 8086K will double the number of cores available for terrain/texture loading, and also give me 50% more L3 cache.  And it'll be paired with much faster RAM as well.

Aya carramba...

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Wish there would be a P3D benchmark test so that it could be incorporated into all these reviewers tests.  Such a different animal that it would really test single core  performance. Then they can watch all their numbers in the 100s for fps suddenly nose dive. lol

Too bad the single core performance and the clock is quite low on the AMD Ryzen 2700x. Cause otherwise its numbers hold up very well to the 9900k. They dont match but they are in the ballpark and for a lot less money.  Some of the multi core rendering tests are quite impressive. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Not this again ... if only I could show you a video ...

There you go teasing again...a video of what exactly Mr A? ;)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

So out of principle, I'm gonna cancel that preorder and if I do end up with one of those CPUs, it'll be 6-12 months from now when the prices have come down and we know a lot more about what the retail production chips can really do.

I am with in a few hours of making the same decision on the 8086K. I salute you on standing on your principle. I had high hopes for this new hardware and it will most likely turn out ok but I just am not very happy with all of us getting caught up in this fight between intel and amd (non-caps intended). Competition is fine and good for us all but it has got to the point that intel is now lying through outside hired companies. We now don't even know which testors to believe for sure unless they are the regulars here on AVSIM. Some folks call it marketing but as I have said before.....where I come from if you are not telling the truth then it is a lie....plain and simple. The fix is easy for me since I don't run the big tube liners and heavy airports. GA is a wonderful thing!! LOL

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

22 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

There you go teasing again...a video of what exactly Mr A? 😉

Yep....you just know he is testing V4.4 LOL He is as slippery as a snake in a grease fight!🤣

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Not this again ... if only I could show you a video ...

Wow! Triggered! 🙂 Don't care about your videos. It's an old sim, an old engine, that's had new bits bolted on. 😉 A sim from the ground up would be far superior in many ways. I will allow you to live in flight sim fantasy land though if it makes you feel happy. 😀Just kidding. 

Specifically what "techniques"?  

I'm sorry that's classified. You don't have the security clearance. 

Maybe you should start a poll here and elsewhere to see if they are willing to toss aside ALL of their existing add-ons

Strange logic... Why on Earth would you scrap anything! No need to scrap any add-on's, you can keep them and your old sim for ever if you like.  It's not compulsory to scrap the old sim and all add-on's  if there's a new kid on the block.

"I just finished the new Tomb Raider and Call of Duty ... very pretty, very limited environment, scripted, almost zero replay value ... they are sitting on my uninstall queue as I resume the more sensible world of flight simulation 🙂"

Yuk! why would you buy them. Not surprised you are about to uninstall. Now BF4 multiplayer on the other hand is the business. Still extracting hours of pleasure from it after all this time. BF5... still undecided. World War 3 looks like it's going to be phenomenal. Big maps, great gun mechanics, a superior version of BF4. Star Citizen... enormous potential, will be a few years yet though till it's finished.  

Edited by martin-w

Gamers Nexus have just released an interesting video. Delidding, but replacing the solder with conventional paste rather than liquid metal. The solder was only slightly better than conventional paste between die and IHS.  

The other interesting point raised by Jayz2Cents concerns the fact that its possible to delid the soldered CPU so easily. Attempting that with previous soldered CPU's has often been disastrous, pretty much destroying the die. 

17 minutes ago, martin-w said:

A sim from the ground up would be far superior in many ways.

But you still haven't really told me exactly why and what specific "new techniques"?  And my video reference wasn't anything that's "public".

17 minutes ago, martin-w said:

It's not compulsory to scrap the old sim and all add-on's  if there's a new kid on the block.

So there's going to be a "free" transition from those "old" add-ons to the "new kid on the block"?  Like I said, many users don't like to pay twice for the same add-on for a different "kid".

I agree BF is better, but ultimately the same limitations as TB and CoD and the maps still load as "levels" ... it's not Global not really "open", still the same concept as BF1 and all others ... but take a closer look at BF visuals and see how they really manage textures and lighting and proximity/distances and weather and time of day and where you just "stop" and hit the invisible wall in the map boundaries.  Nothing against these shooters and I enjoy them for their visuals, but they are primitive in scope relative to flight simulators ... not saying this is bad, it's just they follow hardware limitations also.

Cheers, Rob.

27 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But you still haven't really told me exactly why and what specific "new techniques"?  And my video reference was anything that's "public".

Rob, I'm very sorry but as I told you that information is classified. I don't think your security clearance is high enough. I could tell you but that would be a breach of the official secrets act. 

So there's going to be a "free" transition from those "old" add-ons to the "new kid on the block"?  Like I said, many users don't like to pay twice for the same add-on for a different "kid".

Mr negative Nancy... the world of aviation is jam packed with all manner of flying vehicles. Wouldn't be that difficult to populate your new sim with different aircraft. Unless you happen to be a boring person with just a fetish for Boeing or Airbus. 🙂 Don't forget, many of us already have more than one sim. DCS World, FSX, P3D, some even still have FS9 on their hard drives, X Plane etc. the new sim would initially be just one more to join them but would climb the ladder of popularity over time. I know new things are scary for you but with my help and guidance and a little therapy, trust me you will be fine. I may prescribe a a few months of SSRI's though initially to ease the transition. 

Star Citizen you might like when it's finished. Take off, fly through the atmosphere, engage hyper drive, travel half way across the galaxy, enter the atmosphere of a distant world, explore a highly detailed new world. Trade, bounty hunting, etc etc. No cut scenes, no loading of levels, all seamless and ultra realistic. 

Edited by martin-w
Winding Rob up!

Delidded and lapped die... Gamers Nexus is getting scary. He must think he's the new de8auer 🙂

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

...Don't forget, many of us already have more than one sim. DCS World, FSX, P3D, some even still have FS9 on their hard drives, X Plane etc. ....

Yep, I’ve spent plenty supporting them all and often buying the same scenery/aircraft for 4 platforms ... maintaining them and updating them has been time consuming.  Each platform has something I wanted that the other didn’t have.

BUT, after a decade or so I’m happy to say I no longer need multiple FS platforms ... I’ve got the one that has everything I need and then some without giving up add-ons  ... time to go free up some M.2 space.

Is Star Citizen anything like CIV VI?  Does it have large enough user base to continue development?  Sounds like something I might like.

Back to 9900K, I’ve checked all my Silicon Valley sources, I can get a Tray 9900k from a friend at HP ... other distributors haven’t been able to get an ETA.  My HP contact said they’re getting some for their desktop line ... so this might be a case of Intel fulfilling the orders of system builders first, giving them an edge before individual CPUs make it to retail outlets like NewEgg and Amazon.  It’s an interesting idea, I know Intel have done this before.

Bummer if it’s really Nov 21st, but that’ll give me more time to plan my build.

Cheers

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Wow! Triggered! 🙂 Don't care about your videos. It's an old sim, an old engine, that's had new bits bolted on. 😉 A sim from the ground up would be far superior in many ways. I will allow you to live in flight sim fantasy land though if it makes you feel happy. 😀Just kidding. 

If only your sarcasm would stop similar serious comments. 

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

Martin, forgive me if I "stick my nose" where I probably shouldn't. But...

.... But, I seriously don't understand why you think it's ok to be offensive. Brother, there's no need for this, and if I were you i would extend apology to Rob. 

Gentlemen: 

Who has the Intel 8086K ? Have you managed to OC all cores to 5.0Ghz? How good is it for P3D? 

- How about the 8700k, is it better for P3D than the 8086K ?   I'm just looking into other  options besides my current 7700k, should the 9900k or  9700k happens to be a  "hype' rather than a significant upgrade. I am looking into OC all cores to 5.0Ghz ++