Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Getting a new simulator and computer...

In a manner of speaking.

For years I've had to lower my screen resolution and size because the instrument numbers and GPS displays were too tiny for these old eyes to see even with my computer glasses.

But next week I'm getting new eyes...cataract surgery.  Since I spend so much time on my computer and reading books I opted for the near vision lenses instead of the distant vision lenses (I will still need glasses for driving).  She will use lenses that will correct my astigmatism problem too.  My optometrist told me he has corrected it as far as it will go with glasses.  My doctor assured me I will be able to read fine print without glasses.  I get my left eye done next week and the right eye the following week.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Getting the near vision lenses is the best option IMO. It is the route I went, although I have a bit different focal length in each eye - about 2 feet in my left eye and 3-4 feet in my right. This allows me to read books and labels (when shopping) without glasses etc. The end result is clear vision from arms length to about 6 feet. I only wear my glasses for driving, outdoor activities and watching television now, but even my distance vision is far better than before the cataract surgery. I even meet the drivers license requirements without my glasses. I've talked to numerous individuals who have regretted getting the distance lenses and then can't even see themselves clearly in the mirror without putting glasses on.

Best of luck with your proceedure and improved eyesight. The difference can be huge.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Sorry if I bored you or posted something so inconsequential Ed.  I apologize.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

In a manner of speaking.

For years I've had to lower my screen resolution and size because the instrument numbers and GPS displays were too tiny for these old eyes to see even with my computer glasses.

But next week I'm getting new eyes...cataract surgery.  Since I spend so much time on my computer and reading books I opted for the near vision lenses instead of the distant vision lenses (I will still need glasses for driving).  She will use lenses that will correct my astigmatism problem too.  My optometrist told me he has corrected it as far as it will go with glasses.  My doctor assured me I will be able to read fine print without glasses.  I get my left eye done next week and the right eye the following week.

Noel

An old girlfriend of mine had that done. After that, the lenses in her eyes would catch the light sometimes, and I would joke that she had been replaced with a replicant in the hospital. 😋

wB50kX.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

46 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Sorry if I bored you or posted something so inconsequential Ed.  I apologize.

Noel

Sorry Noel, not my style. I thought you were missing some part of the information you wanted to present. My mistake and apologies.

Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hope your surgery turns out well and you can crank you your display up

Matthew Kane

Has it done 14 years ago and it's been a game changer. My eyes are finally starting to deteriorate again so I expect glasses are in my future.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It's Ok Ed.  I tend to be sarcastic sometimes.

If you're still in contact with her HiFlyer tell her to stop smoking.

Well, I'm two months away from being 85 Vic.  I think the procedure will last me a lifetime.

Noel

Had both done several years ago. If I knew how much better my vision would be, I'd have done it sooner! Just make sure you follow all the directions pre surgery. Use all the eye drops and so forth. It prevents problems later.

I didn't realize I was completely blind in my left eye from the congenital cataract until they put the patch on the right eye after the surgery. Suddenly everything went black. It was quite a shock. I guess the blindness came on gradually, and I adjusted without realizing. It was a congenital cataract after all...

Sue

Edited by Penzoil3

Gosh Noel, I didn't think there was any one on the forum older than me!! [83].

85 and 83 years and flight simmimg...

That’s awesome...good on both of you!!!

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Sure is fun getting old(er) isn't it!

It could be worse!

What if we did not have computers but had to knit or something like that?

:wacko: !

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 1

I just finished a good book titled '80 Days'.  It's the true story about Nellie Bly, a woman reporter (rare in those days) who was sent by her newspaper on an around the world trip to beat the record of the fictional character Phineas Fogg in Jules Verne's book 'Around the World in 80 days.  She beat the record by a few days and became an instant celebrity.

The epilogue follows he through the rest of her life and quotes her about growing old.  She said, "Growing old takes a lot of courage and a good sense of humor." 

BTW Sue, cataracts are not the only thing that can gradually bring on blindness in one eye without you noticing it.  So can glaucoma.  Older people should get checked once a year and not with the air puff.  Go to an optometrist that measures it mechanically after numbing the eye.  It can't be cured but the effects t can be slowed down with eye drops.

Noel

What else am I going to do Gerry?  I can't get into a real cockpit anymore.  Although a couple years ago a friend who owns an American Yankee flew into town to spend a weekend with us and took me up for a little stick time.  My landing wasn't the greatest.

Noel

9 minutes ago, birdguy said:

What else am I going to do Gerry?  I can't get into a real cockpit anymore.  Although a couple years ago a friend who owns an American Yankee flew into town to spend a weekend with us and took me up for a little stick time.  My landing wasn't the greatest.

Noel

What platform are you using? P3D,FSX or X-plane?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.