Sign in to follow this  
HabuPilot

How calculate fuel for Feelthere Phenom 100?

Hi

Am I the only one who think this little addon is very fun to fly? In my humble opinion it's a great example of mid-core addon. It's not a deep real systems, but at the same time the autopilot simulates several modes which they are not very usual to see in other addons of the same price range. Perfect for a casual flight or as introduction to this type of airplane.

Lately I've been flying with it a lot because the lack of time for more complex planes. For this reason I want to start planning the flights on it with a little more care. But I don't know how to deal with the fuel calculations. I did not see anything about this subject in the manual. But googling I've found this reference:

When calculating the Embraer Phenom 100 operating costs, the first cost to look at is the Embraer Phenom 100 fuel burn or fuel consumption. According to Embraer's 1,000 nm block fuel usage number, the Embraer Phenom 100 uses 0.28 gallons of fuel per nautical mile (nm) or travels 3.58 nautical miles per gallon. This is with 4-5 occupants onboard the Embraer Phenom 100 with luggage.

...but I don't know if this figures are suitable to use with this addon. I will appreciate if someone can enlighten me about this topic.

Thank you.

Edited by HabuPilot

As with PMDG and some other payware aircraft products, there is a Feelthere support forum on the AVSIM site.  Possible faster response and more accurate advice will be available.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

36 minutes ago, charliearon said:

As with PMDG and some other payware aircraft products, there is a Feelthere support forum on the AVSIM site.  Possible faster response and more accurate advice will be available.

44 minutes ago, HabuPilot said:

But I don't know how to deal with the fuel calculations. I did not see anything about this subject in the manual. But googling I've found this reference:

We don't have a Feelthere support forum yet so I will try to answer.  Whenever I have questions like how to calculate fuel consumption, etc., I do like you did and Google the question and look for responses from sites that have the real aircraft.  You did well by conducting a Google search.  There are a lot more fuel consumption requirements to consider that just the amount of fuel, cargo weights, passenger weights, etc.  You also have to consider the weather, the direction of the winds, temperatures, etc., as that can eat up fuel too.  Generally, for short distance flights (1000 nm or less), I always make sure the tanks are at 50%.  If going long distance and, especially going over large bodies of water, I will fill the tanks to the max.  Never know what you are going to run into when you are in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific.  

As a suggestion, AVSIM hosts the Phenom 100 forums for the Carenado version and you might get some valuable information there too. I'm sure there are similar questions. A Phenom 100 is a Phenom 100 no matter the FS developer.  AVSIM has an excellent review of the aircraft by RayMar too that should give you more valuable information - https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/aircraft/phenom-100-r1377/.  Enjoy!

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The idea that simulated planes use the same fuel as the real ones is cool but I don't rely on it. The fuel used by a sim plane is best recorded each flight to get a feel for the plane performance - that is the real sim plane in the real sim. Only from there can the comparison to the real world aircraft be made.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

12 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

We don't have a Feelthere support forum yet so I will try to answer. 

OK, then who be this guy??  I thought I was seeing things:wacko:  My apologies.

Feelthere.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

58 minutes ago, charliearon said:

OK, then who be this guy??  I thought I was seeing things:wacko:  My apologies.

Missed that.  I thought I had closed the forum as members would be better off posting in the applicable simulator forum.  It is not used as much as it use to be back in the "olden" days.  Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The forum has now been locked and moved to Other Forums.  Members can still read the topics and posts but cannot respond or add new posts/topics.

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

The idea that simulated planes use the same fuel as the real ones is cool but I don't rely on it.

I agree Steve but, in flight simulation, nothing is real and everything is simulated.  So, whether using simulated figures or real ones really makes little difference IMHO. 

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I agree Steve but, in flight simulation, nothing is real and everything is simulated.  So, whether using simulated figures or real ones really makes little difference IMHO. 

No difference - Really Jim? This is about a simulation. So just like filling your tank before and after you can see the fuel used and know the time travelled and so on, so it stands to reason you would expect to use the same amount in the same route and conditions. The sim works the same way with fuel and shows consistency where there is consistent flying. So in short - if we keep a note of the fuel used the performance of the aircraft is more readily realised and enjoyed - in my honourable opinion.

...Quite obviously sim planes have to have their parameters set so they are using the same fuel as the real aircraft, or thereabouts - they must be profiled correctly or they simply consume any amount of fuel completely inconsistently with the real aircraft. So the aircraft devs have to (or should have) painstakingly check the fuel use and tune it so it works properly.

Edited by SteveW

Thanks for all your hints. My intention is not simulate its behaviour 100% real, it would be out of scope of a $15 addon. I was searching these figures only as reference. I find quite correct the Jim's idea of 100% or 50% fuel based in the distance. At least, in addons like this one.

Anyway, I'm going to check the carenados forum.

Regards

No need. As I said earlier all one needs to do with a new plane in the sim is fly it once properly and simply see what fuel is used and make the simple calculation for fuel per hour would be my approach.

...Naturally I was assuming you are going to fly it. So thirty seconds after touchdown you can determine your hours flight per full tank. It's better to keep a record of the ascent burn, the cruise burn, and the descent burn for a little better ready-reckoning. Longer routes need only change the time during cruise for a pretty good estimate. I wouldn't worry too much what another simmer might get as the de-facto values, since weather engines are different and the way we fly is different.

Forgot one thing; there's usually some fuel in the tanks you can't get to (set up in the aircraft.cfg by the dev). So it's unusable fuel - should be mentioned in the manual, if not that might be worth knowing.

Since sim fuel is free I take all I can get 🙂 

Three useless things to a pilot, the air above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel you did not put in the tank 🙂

• Like 1

Jay