Sign in to follow this  
HabuPilot

How calculate fuel for Feelthere Phenom 100?

Yes, if you need 50 gals and your tank takes 70 we're not saying take 50. We're saying how to find out how long we can fly on that full tank you mention. Anyone knows that, don't they?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"How calculate fuel for Feelthere Phenom 100?"

Look it up on Google or fill the tank and forget it?

lol.

Didn’t want a scientific analytical approach right? So It’s easy…
I land and check the fuel – crumbs, used 10 gals, and hey, look at the time, been in the air for exactly one hour, amazing!
So I’m using 10gals/hr with that aircraft and that type of flying - right.
Since it’s got a capacity of 20gals I can fly for two hours then fall from the sky.
So now I know I need to find an airport within 2 hours. Hopefully there’s one on Google.

🤣

34 minutes ago, PIC007 said:

Since sim fuel is free I take all I can get 🙂 

Three useless things to a pilot, the air above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel you did not put in the tank 🙂

That's pretty funny - the old ones are the best.

Not so long ago someone sent me a report on the fuel calculated by pretty much all the regular fuel planners available and none predicted closer than the simple gals/hr approach. To think that on another forum they'll likely be going into minute details about the fuel use with overly complex planners, and in general they can't come up with better predictions than what is basically the real thing - measure your own use. In the real world of course they keep track of minute details, any unexpected fuel use could be portent to a disaster without servicing.

Edited by SteveW

2 hours ago, PIC007 said:

Since sim fuel is free I take all I can get 🙂 

Three useless things to a pilot, the air above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel you did not put in the tank 🙂

A strange, rather gaming oriented than simming oriented approach concerning fuel.

Less fuel means, higher speed, higher cruising altitude, less runway length required for takeoff and landing.

Furthermore on many airplanes, including the Phenom 100, you will exceed the maximum landing weight on very short flights.

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

In the real world of course they keep track of minute details, any unexpected fuel use could be portent to a disaster without servicing.

Keeping track of minute details isn't necessary and/or even possible. That's why you have to e.g. carry (at least) contingency fuel with you. 

Edited by J35OE

15 hours ago, HabuPilot said:

Anyway, I'm going to check the carenados forum.

I thought it's about the Feelthere Phenom 100?

OK maybe 'minute' is too small a word. lol

25 minutes ago, J35OE said:

Keeping track of minute details isn't necessary and/or even possible. That's why you have to e.g. carry (at least) contingency fuel with you. 

You appear to proffer the idea that they don't know how much fuel is burnt usually - which would be absurd.

Cracks me up. I mentioned keeping, shall we say, daily (minute) flight records, containing fuel burn, in the real world, so as to differentiate from what we might do in the sim, whereby recording the fuel use 'just once' with our newly downloaded plane flown properly can ascertain the general flight range and puts us in the ball park nicely so to speak. And that's with the intention of taking that further if we wish. For example: we can taxi for four minutes and after that pause and check the fuel difference then, determining that we use 15 times that an hour during taxi. Takes less than five minutes. lol

Edited by SteveW

Don't know why this cracks you up. Do you know anything about RW fuel planning? About the necessary reserves? 

The point I was trying to make is that there are so many variables during any flight that that you have to carry a lot of additional fuel with you to cover most unforeseen circumstances, or as you wrote, unexpected fuel use. 

What do you mean with a 'properly flown' Phenom 100?  A single 'test' flight isn't very helpful. Even at the same weight and temperature the cruise fuel flow on the Phenom 100 varies between  560lb/hr and 1160lb/hr.

Edited by J35OE

58 minutes ago, J35OE said:

Don't know why this cracks you up. Do you know anything about RW fuel planning? About the necessary reserves? 

The point I was trying to make is that there are so many variables during any flight that that you have to carry a lot of additional fuel with you to cover most unforeseen circumstances, or as you wrote, unexpected fuel use. 

What do you mean with a 'properly flown' Phenom 100?  A single 'test' flight isn't very helpful. Even at the same weight and temperature the cruise fuel flow on the Phenom 100 varies between  560lb/hr and 1160lb/hr.

What cracks me up is that you are trying to find fault in a very valid piece of information - of course you can do it more than once - however often you like - it's a valid test of fuel use, in fact the only way you will know for sure how much it uses is by measuring it by flying it. LMAO..

1 hour ago, J35OE said:

..by 'properly flown' I mean flying in accordance with the way you expect to use it and in so doing ascertain fuel use flying it that way as apposed to flashing around the sky for five minutes and crashing into a mountain of course.

..and claiming folk don't know about things like reserve fuel is pretty arrogant and shows lack of reason.

Also I notice often the line is blurred between real world flying and sim flying. The sim is not real world and as I mentioned earlier the way the sim might be set, the weather engines and other systems, can affect the outcome of fuel and other calculations

43 minutes ago, SteveW said:

..and claiming folk don't know about things like reserve fuel is pretty arrogant...

Did you notice that this was a question?  Furthermore I would be really surprised if more than a few sim pilots know e.g. the +200 pages of the ICAO Doc 9976.