Sign in to follow this  
baj25

Add on scenery question

I have finally got around to using FS9 on windows7. I used to use Just Flight terrain and VFR photoscenery, but I can't get it to install at all with FS9 in non-default folder. I came across positive comments re FSGenesis add on scenery here, does this enhance elevation of terrain as well as give more ground detail? I want something to do VFR flights around UK, that's all. TIA, Brian

I think FSGenesis is just terrain mesh, so will change elevation. But I believe texture display is also linked to mesh detail (hills, mountains) so any significant mesh improvement will also improve ground detail. If you are going for VFR, you should also consider Ultimate Terrain Europe. http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=uteurope  However, the vector data is likely to be outdated for roads, cities and the like, as the programme is a decade old, and I do not know if it was updated.

Hi Brian, and welcome to Avsim.

I have FS9 with UK photoscenery installed on an XP machine and again on a Win 10 machine. In both cases the installation is in a non-default location and I've not had any problems with it. Can you tell us more about the failure to install?

In the meantime, here are some thoughts about VFR scenery for the UK in FS9:

Yes, FS Genesis is only mesh --  elevation enhancement. I use FS Global 2008, which you can find on ebay. As landclass depends partly on the gradient of the terrain, a higher resolution of mesh will improve its appearance by adding detail to the mosaic. If you do opt for UT Europe, be aware that the textures are only landclass, which is to say not photoscenery. That means you won't necessarily have hedges, or even fields, and you definitely won't find your home. You may prefer its appearance if you replace the stock landclass textures with the FScene set: https://www.justflight.com/product/fscene-x-download

I have UT Europe and FScene X installed and they make a big difference. I also have almost all of Italy and some of the Alps in photoscenery (search the library here for author Fulvio Mazzokan in the FS2004 Scenery section) and that makes a bigger difference...

Why not search the same section for 'photoscenery' or 'photoreal'? Choose an Extended Search, type the keyword into the 'Name and/or Description' box, set the category and click Search.

I originally used Just Flight's VFR photoscenery but in the distant past I changed to Horizon aka Playsims. I don't recall what prompted the change but I was pleasantly surprised to find the Playsims photoscenery discs also had a high res mesh, a bunch of (basic) airfields and the necessary coastline adjustments as well as the photoscenery itself. Playsims folded before finishing the series so the Central Scotland disc was never released but all the rest of the UK should be available. Probably ebay again...

I did receive privately an unfinished Central Scotland set, for a donation to a charity of my choice, but I'm ashamed to admit I can't recall who offered it. It was a big bonus for me as I fly specific areas in FS9 when planning walking or climbing trips. It's more fun than Google's 3D maps.

Gary Summons (UK2000) has recently made his legacy VFR airfields into freeware. They're just as good as Just Flight's British Airports series, though as they were made between 2001 & 2005 recent changes to airfields aren't incorporated. They look best with photoscenery but go well enough with landclass. You can get them here: http://www.uk2000scenery.com/newsite/My_Homepage_Files/Page22.html

D

Thanks for replies gents.

I've just started downloading the UK2000 files and will try them this evening.

Sounds like it is worth me persevering with the JF VFR scenery. When I go through the install, it does all the usual language choice etc, and then gives error 0x80040702, Description:failed to load dll:FSTYPE. At no point did it ask me where to install, and I couldn't see any file that I could edit to change where it installs, that's why I assumed it is looking for FS9 in default folder. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Brian

10 hours ago, baj25 said:

When I go through the install, it does all the usual language choice etc, and then gives error 0x80040702, Description:failed to load dll:FSTYPE. At no point did it ask me where to install, and I couldn't see any file that I could edit to change where it installs, that's why I assumed it is looking for FS9 in default folder.

I just tried one of my JF discs and had a similar message. I think in my case Win 10 is refusing to run anything on a DVD: 'Rempte Procedure Call failed' and event viewer lists a couple of system files blocked from running...

I've sent you a PM.

D