Sign in to follow this  
Ameno

How to make prepar3d run 100% of full cores?

I have an i7 8700k and a gtx1080ti, 16gb 3733mhz 1T, tried every way to make the game run 100% of colors but nothing works, any solution? Another problem, it seems that inside the 737-800 airplane the performance is terrible even in low quality, would be some performance problem of that airplane?

I tried very numbers for affinitymask but it not work.

With the correct settings you should see one core just below 100% and the rest below that. Of course you can max everything and see 100% on the main task but the other tasks might never reach 100% unless loading scenery. If you have the main task just under 100% then there is what is knows as 'overhead' available. Since it is a simulation and the next frame may take longer to make than the last, especially in turns, if that frame can't be made in time it is no longer a simulation. With high frame rates everything averages out to near enough perfect, but badly set systems show inconsistencies in the simulator behaviour.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Since Steve answered the part about core usage quite well -- I won't address that, other than to say, he is correct, ha ha.

In my experience with the 8700K -- your best bet is to overclock your 8700K and not use any AffinityMask tweak with that cpu.  It's possible that someone has found a good AM setting for the 8700K, but I haven't. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

It's possible that someone has found a good AM setting for the 8700K, but I haven't. 

Remember that if you have HT enabled with those (6 cores/12 threads) you need an AM with '10' or '01' on the right hand end of the binary sequence which naturally provides 15-20% more consistent throughput on the primary thread. It's been mentioned a lot before because with HT enabled it is generally missed that the core with the main task quite simply is shared on the second logical processor with the second task - and so the '01' mentioned moves that second task up one LP to the next real core.

Edited by SteveW

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Com as configurações corretas, você deve ver um núcleo abaixo de 100% e o restante abaixo disso. É claro que você pode maximizar tudo e ver 100% na tarefa principal, mas as outras tarefas podem nunca chegar a 100%, a menos que o cenário seja carregado. Se você tem a tarefa principal abaixo de 100%, então existe o que é conhecido como 'sobrecarga' disponível. Uma vez que é uma simulação e o próximo quadro pode demorar mais para fazer do que o último, especialmente em turnos, se esse quadro não puder ser feito a tempo, não será mais uma simulação. Com altas taxas de quadros, a média é quase perfeita, mas sistemas mal definidos mostram inconsistências no comportamento do simulador.

What do you mean, with correct settings? What would be an ill-defined system? Can you explain please, and how do I put the binary numbers in the game cfg? I was just putting this in cfg but it does not work, can it be clearer please?

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask = 1364

2 hours ago, Ameno said:

What do you mean, with correct settings? What would be an ill-defined system? Can you explain please, and how do I put the binary numbers in the game cfg? I was just putting this in cfg but it does not work, can it be clearer please?

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask = 1364

Why 1364??

Bert

5 hours ago, Ameno said:

I have an i7 8700k and a gtx1080ti, 16gb 3733mhz 1T, tried every way to make the game run 100% of colors but nothing works, any solution? Another problem, it seems that inside the 737-800 airplane the performance is terrible even in low quality, would be some performance problem of that airplane?

I tried very numbers for affinitymask but it not work.

With my specs I have never had to make adjustments, and your system is comparable to mine, a tad faster and twice as much RAM.  I get great performance, I applied one tweak that makes my photoreal textures sharper in the distance, but that was to my P3DV4 cfg file.  P3DV4 is arguably the smoothest flight sim I have ever used although I do not run with much AI or autogen since photoreal VFE flight is my preferred scenario with GA props, tprops and light jets.  Everything other than Autogen and AI is maxed except for AA, which I have slightly toned down and I don't mind that.  Although I have Nvidia Inspector I have made no tweaks.  I can even record videos with my Nvidia recorder with nary a performance hit.  Now I do not go all out crazy and seek 100 fps--I run with 30 fps locked because I never liked ups and downs in fps, and 30 fps is where the sim stays, all the time.  My old rig used to have slight stutters with FSX, P3DV4 is exquisite as is under Windows 10.  Xplane11 also runs well full bore with all things maxed, with default scenery and some nice add ons.

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ameno said:

When you add planes with complex gauges and dlls, since these are run in the sim process time they take time away from the sim processes so these get progressively faster as the PC gets faster.

The AM is important not because it improves performance 'we don't need now with new PC's' (yawn) but it saves power and heat and increases performance with HT enabled. Ignoring important system requirements because 'stuff works OK' is like not bothering to have the engines tuned and adjusted.

Edited by SteveW

Back when I was driving 60k miles a year on route to computers problems, I used to check my tire pressures. Not just because they needed checking but they increased cornering and braking performance. Perhaps that's just the kind of guy I am.

• Like 1

hehe... and on another thread there's some chap asking for tips about fuel used by a plane in the sim - answers - 'look it up on google' and 'fuel performance doesn't matter'. What's AVISIM coming to? Guys like to come to AVSIM for superior knowledge and insight into a great hobby. Let's not let it get slack.

But anyway - the main thing is coming to realise that AMs don't make the fps go faster - that can only be slowed down by complex gauges and dlls added into the sim as is the case with the OP. There's a small amount of fps lost if HT is enabled with no AM applied - reason stated already. 

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Back when I was driving 60k miles a year on route to computers problems, I used to check my tire pressures. Not just because they needed checking but they increased cornering and braking performance. Perhaps that's just the kind of guy I am.

I was always the same way, always had an air compressor in my car as well and I kept my wife's tires filled.  As the weather cooled, tire pressure would lower and had to be increased which many drivers do not realize.  Conversely in hot weather one has to be careful when putting air in the tires, if one does it in the cool of the morning they can get overinflated and blow out.  One also had to be careful not to overfill on gas in the morning in hot weather, as it would slightly expand and spill from the filler if one topped off.  In Napa where I lived in the summer we had cool temps in the morning and hot temps in the afternoon.  In Phoenix our temps stay more regular thru the day without as much variation, except in the winter when we lose a lot of heat at night, as deserts do.

Same also held true for aircraft tires, we had to be careful with them here in Phoenix in the hot weather with air pressure, not to overfill them and risk a blown tire on landing.  When the temp soars to 120 degrees here some aircraft have to leave Phoenix with less fuel or pax to get off the ground, because at 1100 feet our density altitude soars.  We had one day of 122 degree weather once where Sky Harbor had delays because of this.

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I was always the same way, always had an air compressor in my car as well and I kept my wife's tires filled.  As the weather cooled, tire pressure would lower and had to be increased which many drivers do not realize.  Conversely in hot weather one has to be careful when putting air in the tires, if one does it in the cool of the morning they can get overinflated and blow out.  One also had to be careful not to overfill on gas in the morning in hot weather, as it would slightly expand and spill from the filler if one topped off.  In Napa where I lived in the summer we had cool temps in the morning and hot temps in the afternoon.  In Phoenix our temps stay more regular thru the day without as much variation, except in the winter when we lose a lot of heat at night, as deserts do.

Same also held true for aircraft tires, we had to be careful with them here in Phoenix in the hot weather with air pressure, not to overfill them and risk a blown tire on landing.  When the temp soars to 120 degrees here some aircraft have to leave Phoenix with less fuel or pax to get off the ground, because at 1100 feet our density altitude soars.  We had one day of 122 degree weather once where Sky Harbor had delays because of this.

John

Great post John.

• Like 2

The mention of ALL cores needs addressing:

The processes running across the CPU cores are not all granular and equal. So we don't expect to see all cores running at 100%, although we should see most do that during loading the scenery, even then not all. Another thing when HT is enabled, when we see one LP showing 100% and the other showing 0%, that is actually 100% of the core in use, only on one LP. The thing about HT is that the time to swap thread information during time slicing is halved. The more time slicing done, the faster your CPU is.

• Like 2

@Cactus521

John,  I am curious about this...." I applied one tweak that makes my photoreal textures sharper in the distance, but that was to my P3DV4 cfg file."  Please provide the details.

BTW - Shout out to SteveW -- with big thanks for his terrific care and guidance in helping me along.     SteveW was recently helping me with my aged, i7-6700k / 16GB / 980Ti system.  Performance is now quite fine.   We were also sorting out why my stock P3D had noticeably poor scenery.   I now consider the scenery (no addons) to be acceptable but barely.   Maybe your tweak won't apply, but I am curious. 

thanks

RMM

• Like 1