Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Nice Landing

At the start of the video you can see powerlines across the motorway, he missed them, very lucky

Matthew Kane

Student pilot, but when the rubber band broke, the CFI took over and landed between a Honda and a Toyota :o)!  Nice work!

Jim Driskell

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

It''s great when it works out and nobody is hurt. But man... there's a lot of ways that could have gone wrong with that much traffic on the road, and not much choice about exactly where you're going to touch down.

I always heard that when making a forced landing, you just assume the plane now belongs to the insurance company, and you make the best of the situation to make sure the occupants survive, and don't endanger anyone on the ground. Maybe this actually was the best option. Hard to tell from that short video clip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I remember back in ground school our airport was Buttonville which is located on Highway 404 and highway 407 in Toronto, therefore those highways were options in a forced landing if you had to and no other choice. The instructors said to approach from the right for best visibility and look for an opening in traffic, kind of like merging onto the motorway.

Since this instructor took over he was in the right seat so from the video it looks like he did that but merged in from the left hand side and landed on the left side of the motorway, this gives him the best visibility. You don't really have much option as all you can do is adjust your speed with pitch and work your way in, and hope they see you too, and that you miss power lines and light posts etc. Pretty awesome to watch. 😎

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

13 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I remember back in ground school our airport was Buttonville which is located on Highway 404 and highway 407 in Toronto, therefore those highways were options in a forced landing if you had to and no other choice. The instructors said to approach from the right for best visibility and look for an opening in traffic, kind of like merging onto the motorway.

Since this instructor took over he was in the right seat so from the video it looks like he did that but merged in from the left hand side and landed on the left side of the motorway, this gives him the best visibility. You don't really have much option as all you can do is adjust your speed with pitch and work your way in, and hope they see you too, and that you miss power lines and light posts etc. Pretty awesome to watch. 😎

A friend and would be CFI, who once invited me for a free lesson on his Challenger 2 experimental microlight, had to make an engine out landing on Lake Pleasant highway in the north of the Phoenix metro area.  How I found out was disheartening--I saw a newsfeed of the downed aircraft and thought--OMG, I know that aircraft!  It was his.  He and his passenger were unhurt but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair when a wing clipped a road marker.  Like a dope and fabric aircraft should, the crumple of the wing absorbed the impact--one advantage of dope and fabric.  I called him that night, his name was Jim Blumer, and he told me of the accident but that he and his pax were OK.  I turned down his free offer of a ride months earlier because I never liked the way his two cycle, Rotax 503 sounded.  I have flown in two cycle trikes and Microlights before, like the Xair, and I did not like them in general unless they fed in oil (since two cycles require oil to be directly mixed in the fuel).  Some two cycles can hum along but they are finicky.  I was interested in a two cycle trike once but when the owner trying to demo it could not get it to stay running (he wanted me to put a deposit on it site unseen) I politely drove away with the friend I had brought with me to help evaluate it.  When I took my flying lessons we were always looking for engine out landing spots even in four cycle aircraft.  It can happen luckily around Phoenix there are many dirt tracks in the open desert or dry lakebeds, even former emergency airforce airfields used by Luke and Williams Gateway.  I once saw an aircraft inbound to Deer Valley airport in Phoenix right before it went down, it buzzed my office building, Best Western's world headquarters and IT and reservation center at the Loop 101 and I17.  I knew something was wrong with it, sadly it was a fatal air crash.

John

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

A friend and would be CFI, who once invited me for a free lesson on his Challenger 2 experimental microlight, had to make an engine out landing on Lake Pleasant highway in the north of the Phoenix metro area.  How I found out was disheartening--I saw a newsfeed of the downed aircraft and thought--OMG, I know that aircraft!  It was his.  He and his passenger were unhurt but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair when a wing clipped a road marker.  Like a dope and fabric aircraft should, the crumple of the wing absorbed the impact--one advantage of dope and fabric.  I called him that night, his name was Jim Blumer, and he told me of the accident but that he and his pax were OK.  I turned down his free offer of a ride months earlier because I never liked the way his two cycle, Rotax 503 sounded.  I have flown in two cycle trikes and Microlights before, like the Xair, and I did not like them in general unless they fed in oil (since two cycles require oil to be directly mixed in the fuel).  Some two cycles can hum along but they are finicky.  I was interested in a two cycle trike once but when the owner trying to demo it could not get it to stay running (he wanted me to put a deposit on it site unseen) I politely drove away with the friend I had brought with me to help evaluate it.  When I took my flying lessons we were always looking for engine out landing spots even in four cycle aircraft.  It can happen luckily around Phoenix there are many dirt tracks in the open desert or dry lakebeds, even former emergency airforce airfields used by Luke and Williams Gateway.  I once saw an aircraft inbound to Deer Valley airport in Phoenix right before it went down, it buzzed my office building, Best Western's world headquarters and IT and reservation center at the Loop 101 and I17.  I knew something was wrong with it, sadly it was a fatal air crash.

John

I recall a pub story, a friend was flying Cessna's in the Northern Territory in Australia for work. It was common to land on the roads out there and sometimes land near a gas station to refuel. So one time he landed near a gas station and pulled up to the pumps, only there was a police cruiser at the gas station on this occasion and the officer was a bit perplexed. He got his fuel and paid and was ready to go when the officer wrote him a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle on an Australian Highway. But he let him takeoff and go again. 

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

I recall a pub story, a friend was flying Cessna's in the Northern Territory in Australia for work. It was common to land on the roads out there and sometimes land near a gas station to refuel. So one time he landed near a gas station and pulled up to the pumps, only there was a police cruiser at the gas station on this occasion and the officer was a bit perplexed. He got his fuel and paid and was ready to go when the officer wrote him a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle on an Australian Highway. But he let him takeoff and go again. 

I used to fantasize about owning a trike, which I have flown in real life, or a fixed wing ultralight, and flying it across country and when no airports were available, doing this very thing.  You cannot go far on a five gallon tank that part 103 aircraft are restricted to, 100 miles at best.  So a gas station qualifies for "any port in a storm".  Stupidest ticket I ever received was for running a stop sign--on a bicycle, with no cars around.  My friend and I heard a motor revving behind us from about a qtr mile away and it was a stupid cop going for his quota.  I told other cops who were friends of mine about it, they were outraged.  They told me to fight the ticket but at $20 I did not feel it was worth the time or the effort to go to a court and wait for a judge.  Plus I knew it would not show on my record, since I had no license.  It did give me a disrespect for some officers along with serving jury duty once when a cop testified before us that "we don't make mistakes", arrogant SOB that he was, representing a niche in the police forces that give them a bad name.

John

Another plane crash on an California freeway today, Pilot is fine but the plane not so much, It was a T-6 in WW2 German markings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OARWfyPAh3A

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/108074942/vintage-plane-crashes-in-the-middle-of-us-freeway

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane