Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

Matt Davies' projects face a very uncertain future

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

Most people on Twitch streams have no clue what they are doing.  That's for word not allowed sure.  But, in his defense, Matt actually did at least know how to fly an aircraft (within the context of a sim)

I have no idea why most people think their flying is watchable on stream.  Most seem to want to be comedians with overly contrived stupidity - which has all just become annoying.

Since they all moved from making youtube videos to live streaming i cant watch them anymore. 

Every twitch stream:

So today we are flying from...oh hi XXX, thanks for joining!...so we are flying from Frankfurt to....Hey YYY good evening!....to Madrid. Lets start with the pre-flig....Wow ZZZ, thanks for subscribing!!!...pre-flight prepar....OH MY GOD, another subscription, you guys are mad!!!....

Unbearable...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Woozie said:

Every twitch stream:

So today we are flying from...oh hi XXX, thanks for joining!...so we are flying from Frankfurt to....Hey YYY good evening!....to Madrid. Lets start with the pre-flig....Wow ZZZ, thanks for subscribing!!!...pre-flight prepar....OH MY GOD, another subscription, you guys are mad!!!.

Yes, then there's that.  

I enjoy watching Matt's videos. I think that he has a nice, easy listening style, and he certainly seems to know his way around the cockpit of a (simulated) airliner.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 hours ago, n4gix said:

It does speak quite well of Matt's character that he defends Nico (the non-investor) and accepts full blame for the whole sad circumstances!

Unfortunately, it doesn't speak well of his judgement that he got into this mess in the first place.  I'm not a fan of all these twitch streamers and self publicists, I had no dog in his VATSIM game or really much interest in any of his potential products.  I do feel sorry for the guy, and those that are now searching for work, I'd always wish success rather than failure on people even if I'm not really interested in what they're working on.

My take on this is that Nico thought he had an opportunity to take over VATSIM, make it super A+++, so that people would pay a subscription and he would get a fine return through that.  Matt was merely his biddable minion making the middle stuff happen.  When VATSIM refused to be drawn by a thousand $$$, Nico saw his plan fall apart and cancelled the funding stream.  He probably sold Matt a pup as to why, either that or Matt wasn't bright enough to figure Nico's real strategy out.  Either way we end up here.

In Nico's profit oriented money man's mind this will just be capitalism gloriously in action.   For the rest of us we see Matt's life upended, other people's job security trashed, AirDailyX a pile of burning wreckage short of the threshold and the faint smell of a very distasteful personality hailing a taxi from the arrivals lounge...   

Also, more fool the people who gave up secure jobs to work with Matt on this without doing their own due diligence first...lesson learned I guess.  I know someone who a couple of years ago thought very hard about going to work for Dovetail, and thought better of it, despite it being something he'd very much have enjoyed working on.  That kind of foresight might have benefitted some people in this case....

• Upvote 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Having just read Matt's statement there I must admit to not being overly surprised. Matt has 'form' on over-burdening himself, having a meltdown, going away for a bit and then returning with the big; "I'm back!" post somewhere; Youtube, Twitch, forums, etc.

That was fine and acceptable when all he was really doing was 'how to fly the 747' vids and larking about with his Twitch chums online.

It's not acceptable when running businesses in to which simmers have paid money for the various addons and projects he's marketed either as his own or with others.

To then write a "Poor me, it's not really my fault, I'm the victim here" monologue is a very long way from acceptable business standards and those who have bought products from him should take note of that.

Of course, those that do know him, or know of him, know he's a guy who has issues, has had a tough life with some big rocks in the road - and that's fine and I'm sure we all wish him well but he needs to take an extra long look at what he does, going forward and decide if business is the right way to go. 'KISS' Matt.

p.s; Personally, I think his Dangerous Approaches were him at his best; funny, informative, great sense of humour and I learned a lot about complex aircraft.

I wish him all the best.

Ref self proclaimed internet experts

I think the important thing is to treat each other with respect and act in a dignified manner. I for example , am a self declared expert in flying real world heavy jets, I even have a certificate from the relevant authorities to back up that claim. Occasionally I’ll see a posting on these forums where I may be able to offer some guidance or advice and I’ll try and do so while maintaining a certain level of humility and with out being patronising, well that is my intent anyway, I hope I succeed.

Because as much as I may be familiar with real world operations I have lots to learn about computer hardware and software settings.And so it’s nice to think that when it’s my turn to ask questions someone with knowledge in tweaking settings or setting something up will be there for me.And I have always found that to be the case. 

‘I’ve only become slightly ‘agitated ‘ on one occasion many years ago when I was a technical advisor/ beta tester for a well known heavy jet add on. It was suggested by a user in the forums that the flap deployment time was completely unrealistic and took far too long. I posted a reply that the timings were in fact correct and I’d timed the flap extension on the real aircraft to confirm this. It was then implied that I shouldn’t have been timing the flaps and should be concentrating on flying. I did try and make the point as I remember that as a senior captain I did have the spare mental capacity to deploy the flaps and start a stopwatch at the same time ! There’ll always be one!

Back to Matt Davies, I don’t know him but I did watch his talk at Cosford and thought he handled himself well in front of a large crowd. I thought his idea for sim stall I think it’s called, was excellent and I hope this idea carries on to fruition.What little I’ve seen of him he seems a nice guy and I wish him well for his future. I’ve not watched a lot of his reviews but seen a couple.He did make me really laugh on one of his YouTube clips I watched  once where he used the phrase “ the proof of the pudding is in the eating” he then muttered to himself “ and i’ve had a lot of puddings”

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

One of Matt Davies connections is a business making computers, they call him a "You Tube legend", I reckon matt believes this sort of hype and styles himself as a flight sim guru.

The one thing thats sure to follow this "disappearance" will be yet another return with more promises and  more ideas, its the same old , same old Matt.

The sad thing with this whole saga is that the flight simming world in my opinion looks upon Matt Davies as an oddball character that provides amusement on the the ups and downs of  Matt and a welcome distraction from getting bored with flight sim.

Matt however reckons the flight sim world revolves around him....its really quite sad.

• Upvote 2

I really liked his videos on youtube, especially dangerous approaches and full length tutorial flights. He was my go to guy when i was learning the PMDG 777 and i got lots of valuable information out of his videos. But that all changed when he became self proclaimed flight sim "entrepreneur"...

28 minutes ago, Woozie said:

I really liked his videos on youtube, especially dangerous approaches and full length tutorial flights. He was my go to guy when i was learning the PMDG 777 and i got lots of valuable information out of his videos. But that all changed when he became self proclaimed flight sim "entrepreneur"...

I think you've nailed it on the head there Woozie.

I liked Matt too, when he knew his limitations.

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

In Nico's profit oriented money man's mind this will just be capitalism gloriously in action.   For the rest of us we see Matt's life upended, other people's job security trashed, AirDailyX a pile of burning wreckage short of the threshold and the faint smell of a very distasteful personality hailing a taxi from the arrivals lounge...   

Spot on, Mr. Firth.

Edited by Greggy_D

9 minutes ago, ganter said:

liked Matt too, when he knew his limitations.

Matt made a bad business decision and that will have consequences.  But in principle, there is nothing he was trying to do which i didn't support - even if he turned entrepreneurial with some of his ventures.  His projects gave much needed lifeblood to the hobby.  It's his badmouthing of others that will come back to bite him

Has anyone seen or heard from matt, is he OK ?

i come back after a long break just reading up hope he is ok 

Edited by Pixels