Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

Matt Davies' projects face a very uncertain future

Thanks for the additional info and clarification Jeroen.

- TONY -

Whilst it's a shame, I have to say that I was quite disappointed when I met Matt at Cosford this year.  I went up and introduced myself, only to be met with a highly stand-off and almost arrogant response with a hint of 'why are you bothering me?'.  I'm sure that wasn't his intention, at least I hope it wasn't, but it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth.  I know he's got some tough stuff going on in his private life, but I don't know why that would lead to treating people in the way he did.

Meeting Chewie, on the other hand, was a thoroughly pleasant experience.

Edit:  After just reading Matt's post, perhaps this explains it to some degree.

Edited by adyfoot

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Topics merged together 

9 hours ago, Woozie said:

but please try to keep this discussion civil. An internet person is still a human being...

Yes Indeed

38 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Thanks Ed, I was not aware for Matt being the author of PTA.

He took over PTA for v3 from its original author (bought it), and re-engineered it for P3Dv4, that's why I said is the author of "PTA for P3Dv4". He also introduced new parameters and improved it to take advantage of the P3D 64bit platform.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

He was never involved with the development behind POSCON, nor does have the skills to do so, so POSCON remains and develops as per schedule. The extent of his role there was management only & the future of POSCON isn't under any kind of threat from this development. 

37 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Whilst it's a shame, I have to say that I was quite disappointed when I met Matt at Cosford this year.  I went up and introduced myself, only to be met with a highly stand-off and almost arrogant response with a hint of 'why are you bothering me?'.  I'm sure that wasn't his intention, at least I hope it wasn't, but it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth.  I know he's got some tough stuff going on in his private life, but I don't know why that would lead to treating people in the way he did.

Meeting Chewie, on the other hand, was a thoroughly pleasant experience.

Edit:  After just reading Matt's post, perhaps this explains it to some degree.

Clearly explained on his post. Needless to say he's a very talented guy.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I know nothing about any of the various projects involved, but having read Matt's mea maxima culpa I'm still somewhat confused, especially about the apparent "investor" who evidently failed to actually "invest" at all, despite a "gentleman's agreement."

It does speak quite well of Matt's character that he defends Nico (the non-investor) and accepts full blame for the whole sad circumstances!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I find it highly unlikely that Matt will disappear completely.

I’m not completely surprised that this has happened but  I do feel for him on a personal level. It is particularly awful because he is  a ‘comeback kid’  from a rather tragic history. On that basis alone,  I have always wanted him to succeed.  One of his admirable qualities was his determined attitude, in what is actually, quite a fickle industry. But unfortunately, his history means he has a lot of deeply routed emotional issues (predominantly anger) which very often comes out in his streams. Not a good thing for someone in a senior level of responsibility.  How that played out in his dealings with colleagues, only they will know.   

Regardless, this is his passion as much as it is ours and I hope the emotional reaction he has had will  moderate over the next few days.  But he should address PTA development and support as a priority if he wishes to retain support of the community. That was completely his project - controversially payware - so damage control will start there. Otherwise he will lose the business and the support of the entire community. 

Im concerned that the severe impact of what has happened might ultimately end even more tragically if the community turn on him as well.

What about the bucks from twitch and YouTube?? 

He could do a utLive and release a pay to beta, or he could do a chris bell and charge for support and to download your products you already bought. Plenty of gangsters in this business.

Surely he could do a crowd fund scam like star citizen.. Plenty of kids he could drown of thier pocket money, his streams full of them 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

So he got an investor that didn't invest, and now he can't pay his team (which of course are bailing out)...This is confusing.
He (Matt) seems to be a nice guy though. His "investor" is an odd bloke with a full motion sim pit, and with a funny personality. I follow both on Twitch.

Edited by MauB

Mauricio Brentano

3 minutes ago, MauB said:

On the other hand his "investor" is an odd bloke, with strange manners...

NY investmentbanker, it all checks out 😉

Caught a few snippets from Matts recent Twitch stream. It seems that their investment agreement was mainly based on Nico paying the bills, not an upfront payment that would actually allow to "work with the money", a bit naive to sign such an agreement IMHO. Nico got into some personal issues that put him into a situation where he couldnt pay the bills anymore (thats Matt's version, dont know if its true). So Matt started to pay his devs out of his own pocket, which seem to be quite empty now as well. Those at Mettar that were hired on a full time basis are now looking for day jobs again, including Matt. 

Also part of the contract is an exclusive investor clause, which means Matt cant bring any other investor onboard as long as Nico doesnt let him out of the agreement. But if Nico really ceased payments, the agreement is more or less voided. 

Matts plan is to work an ordinary job for a couple of months to get back on his feet. Once he's through that, he will try to get other investors into the boat (he claims to have some standing by already). 

I've edited my post, because what I actually wanted to say is the guy is a singular person.
I don't know him, but find him real funny when watching his streams. Just to clarify.

Mauricio Brentano

1 hour ago, Woozie said:

NY investmentbanker, it all checks out 😉

Caught a few snippets from Matts recent Twitch stream. It seems that their investment agreement was mainly based on Nico paying the bills, not an upfront payment that would actually allow to "work with the money", a bit naive to sign such an agreement IMHO. Nico got into some personal issues that put him into a situation where he couldnt pay the bills anymore (thats Matt's version, dont know if its true). So Matt started to pay his devs out of his own pocket, which seem to be quite empty now as well. Those at Mettar that were hired on a full time basis are now looking for day jobs again, including Matt. 

Also part of the contract is an exclusive investor clause, which means Matt cant bring any other investor onboard as long as Nico doesnt let him out of the agreement. But if Nico really ceased payments, the agreement is more or less voided. 

Matts plan is to work an ordinary job for a couple of months to get back on his feet. Once he's through that, he will try to get other investors into the boat (he claims to have some standing by already). 

Just curious, But how do you know all this? Was it mentioned somewhere?

(not being sarcastic, Genuinely curious that’s all, Seems Matt had things going really well with his streams I. The amount of Viewers and quite intrigued as to how things can fall apart so quickly)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

He would frequently get inebriated on his Twitch stream and talk about his financial success. He did this same yo-yo with his Youtube and all the while took donations and collected money without investing in his semi-legitimate business. His fans ate it up. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

10 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Just curious, But how do you know all this? Was it mentioned somewhere?

(not being sarcastic, Genuinely curious that’s all, Seems Matt had things going really well with his streams I. The amount of Viewers and quite intrigued as to how things can fall apart so quickly)

FSElite.net posted a link to his twitch stream from Saturday. He went a bit more into detail there