Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

A2A Bonanza and OrbX Darrington Muni 1S2 (short takeoff)

Hi all,

So I have the two addons mentioned in the title. I tried to take off with the Bonanza at Darrington Muni 1S2 and found it to be a bit dangerous (too close to the trees top).
I took every bit of runway avaible, full flaps, hold the brake until the RPM in the green. However I did not trim for takeoff. Any advice is welcome.

In real life (and to some extent in the sim), is it OK to takeoff with a Bonanza from 1S12?
From Skyvector I found that the 1S2 runway is 2491 x 40 feet.

I was thinking of getting a couple of airstrips in OrbX Pacific NorthWest zone to fly with the Bonanza but I believe that it is a NOGO?
The map of available airports is here.

• BROWN - grass strips
  • ORANGE - small paved GA airfields,
  • LIGHT GREEN - bigger GA / small regional airports suitable for Dash 8 or a bizjet?
  • DARK GREEN - airports suitable for 737?
  • BLUE - regional and international airports, with enough runway and parking place for at least 757
Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

Thanks Henry for the infos, I will check.

- TONY -

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

I took every bit of runway avaible, full flaps, hold the brake until the RPM in the green. However I did not trim for takeoff. Any advice is welcome.

The full flaps killed the wing's lift.  Try the takeoff with just the first stage of flaps (or even half that).  Also, make sure the airplane isn't loaded any more than you need for the flight you're making.  And of course, check your density altitude.  I find the Bonanza rotates better with 1-2 degrees of positive pitch trim on takeoff.

HTH,

Greg

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Without looking it up - I would think a Bonanza at Sea Level on a Standard Day with no wind at MTOW - should be off the runway in around 1000 feet or so... That isn’t clearing the proverbial 50 foot obstacle - just airborne... Now the A2A model seems to need 80 knots to lift off when book stats I found had it listed as 71 IIRC ?

I haven’t tested the aircraft on length of takeoff roll yet...

Anyone found a RW POH yet ?

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Error

Edited by Simicro
Error

- TONY -

Hi Folks,

I found a takeoff chart for a B35 Bonanza - yeah - I’m sure these numbers are similar for the V35 Bonanza - by 1500 feet you should be in the air... The example illustrated on the chart has a 9 knot headwind...

This charts conditions has flaps UP as well - Beechcraft has always been vary vague in defining its use of flaps - usually they just state “as required” - then leave it to the operator to determine - word has it this stemmed from a law suit at some point...

2zggswk.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

I've been wondering about flaps myself, since the POH is so non-committal.  Looking at some of the RW Beech sites (American Bonanza Society, Beechtalk...) consensus seems to be no flaps for normal surface/reasonable runway length, and 15 or so for short/soft.  Actually I've read several notes which indicate you should set the flaps to line up with maximum aileron deflection.

Scott

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Simicro said:

I took every bit of runway avaible, full flaps, hold the brake until the RPM in the green. However I did not trim for takeoff.

Many thanks all for your kind help. Much appreciated.

Solved.

Additionally, I removed the copilot to lower the weigh. I did not use flaps (for your information the A2A Bonanza there are only 2 positions: up or down). And I "clicked" 8 times on the trim.

Result: I lifted off nearly at the end of the runway but it worked and using best angle speed I could clear the trees obstacles rather safely I believe.

Happy I could achieve that with your help and advices guys!

And also happy to have the GO to get a couple of OrbX airstrips in the Pacific NorthWest zone!

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

21 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Many thanks all for your kind help. Much appreciated.

Solved.

Additionally, I removed the copilot to lower the weigh. I did not use flaps (for your information the A2A Bonanza there are only 2 positions: up or down). And I "clicked" 8 times on the trim.

Result: I lifted off nearly at the end of the runway but it worked and using best angle speed I could clear the trees obstacles rather safely I believe.

Happy I could achieve that with your help and advices guys!

And also happy to have the GO to get a couple of OrbX airstrips in the Pacific NorthWest zone!

Hi Tony,

You should return the flap switch to the middle position when moved to where you want - it’s not meant to be left in the up or down position... There’s a gauge to show the flap position - 10, 20, 30 - but I usually just count “Mississippi’s” in my head - as I do in the real world with similiar flap levers... That way you don’t have to look down during critical phases of flight... The A2A bird seems to take 5 at my count rate to change 10 degrees...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 2

This community is really amazing and I learn something every week!

Actually I could feel that something was wrong with my understanding of how the flaps lever operates. Now I understand why.

Many thanks Scott for your time and explanations (and tip!). Crystal clear.

Happy to give you a "heart" mate!

• Like 1

- TONY -