Sign in to follow this  
Delta111

Flying P-51 VR (Oculas Rift)..

I acquired an Oculas Rift yesterday and have been experimenting...I have to say, I'm not sure how I would want to go back to multiple screens after the experience...I am still dependent on my joystick and throttle controllers as I am not sure how anyone can use the Rift controllers to do anything with the multitude of buttons and switches. My only problem was when  aligning with the runway , moving side to side with some rudder, I got a little air sick !!!!!!!   Had to take em off to recover while on pause...! 

Vr sickness is no joke. If you turn out to be a serious sufferer, you might have to acclimate yourself slowly to the sensations before taking a jet for some aerobatics! 🤢 😁

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Are you using the 'normal' flight controllers? i.e. rudder, yoke/stick/throttles and a zillion buttons? If so you will become adept at 'Controller Braille' Invisible hand creeping round searching for battery switches etc. etc.

Hang in there.

Sickness? Not experienced it myself but every so often, especially when making a ham-fisted lurch downwards, I get that 'pit of the stomach feeling. Like going over the top on a roller coaster. It makes it all even more realistic. 🤢

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I have been cheating, by using the mouse...(I use Xplane)...I have tried the controllers that came with the VR but it takes too long for me to get them to push pull or turn !!  It truly makes flying around the airfield fun, by watching the airfield behind me etc.. I hope my inner ears accomadate to the fake movement..Even though thwey are not "high def", I cant imagine flying without em....We'll see, so to speak...

i just use the p3d native vr and use joystick/tq/peds with buttons mapped to common functions.  mouse right next to the chair to use the in-screen cursor, no fumbling for it as it's right there.

if need to press key functions ('b' to set altimeter, 'p' to unpause, etc.), just look down the gap by the nose.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

7 hours ago, Delta111 said:

moving side to side with some rudder, I got a little air sick !

Welcome to VR, it’s as real as it gets. Most folks get used to it quickly the more they fly. Just like in real life your first flight may make you feel queasy.

I remember my first flight in a light aircraft doing aerobics, I felt sick for two days afterwards.

IM

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Delta111 said:

moving side to side with some rudder, I got a little air sick !

Welcome to VR, it’s as real as it gets. Most folks get used to it quickly the more they fly. Just like in real life your first flight may make you feel queasy.

I remember my first flight in a light aircraft doing aerobics, I felt sick for two days afterwards.

IM

6 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

IM

Im hanging in there...!!!

VR can cause what is called by VR sickness in some users, there are some studies regarding that already, it's not directly related with car, plane or boat sickness is a condition where you are physically still but for your brain you are moving, the good news is that your brain is going to slowly adapt, and you will get what is know as VR legs.

I was one of those people that suffered from VR sickness, first time i tried a roaller coaster in VR i felt really bad, i had to lay down for 3 hours until i felt well again, my first run in P3D in VR was good until i did my first barrel roll and i felt some dizziness, was not a good sensation...

Go slowly, small periods, dont push it, if you start to feel sick just stop and try again later when you feel better, with time you will get your VR legs.

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

VR can cause what is called by VR sickness in some users, there are some studies regarding that already, it's not directly related with car, plane or boat sickness is a condition where you are physically still but for your brain you are moving, the good news is that your brain is going to slowly adapt, and you will get what is know as VR legs.

I was one of those people that suffered from VR sickness, first time i tried a roaller coaster in VR i felt really bad, i had to lay down for 3 hours until i felt well again, my first run in P3D in VR was good until i did my first barrel roll and i felt some dizziness, was not a good sensation...

Go slowly, small periods, dont push it, if you start to feel sick just stop and try again later when you feel better, with time you will get your VR legs.

If I cant get over it in 3 more days, its has go back....!!   I love flying with it, but cannot imagine flying my Zibo 737 for three hours with it...My P51 is awesome ..Its the yaw that causes me issues..Thanks for the feedback, I hate to return it (BestBuy) as I got it for 150.00 with my points...

2 minutes ago, Delta111 said:

If I cant get over it in 3 more days, its has go back....!!   I love flying with it, but cannot imagine flying my Zibo 737 for three hours with it...My P51 is awesome ..Its the yaw that causes me issues..Thanks for the feedback, I hate to return it (BestBuy) as I got it for 150.00 with my points...

You welcome mate, try to play some other things in VR, any game that as normal locomotion(walking) is good to adapt your brain. Another tip that works is never play with an empty stomach, ginger for example is very good for this kind of sickness.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

21 hours ago, Delta111 said:

I love flying with it, but cannot imagine flying my Zibo 737 for three hours with it

What I usually do to remedy that is put the aircraft on autopilot, put my Rift aside and have a chat with the passengers in the living room until TOD.

It will be different if you're flying with online traffic i guess,

Wearing a headset does take getting used to but indeed, 3 hrs is a long time.
I remember that during the first days of flying VR it was a funny feeling to step in my car IRL and drive. It was not dangerous or anything but I could tell my mind was somehow taking up the real life enviroment in a different way.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

If you’re serious about VR, it’s madness to return it after 3 days. You need to give yourself a month or two to fully adapt. Your brain will also adapt somewhat to the resolution, and things will become easier to read.

if you’re trying to avoid motion sickness, the modern Zibo is not your friend either. You need rock-solid 45 frames per second. If you’re flying X-plane, stick to the 172, at least until you’re fully acclimatised. Use oculus tray tool to lock to 45 fps, and make sure your settings allow you to comfortably get more than this.

These days, i would have no problem with a 3-hour flight. 3 days in, that’s not something that i could have imagined.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I appreciate the replay and advice, but it was returned....I loved the immersion, but small things other an the motion sickness were bothering me as well... I just want to fly....!