Sign in to follow this  
bphallett

windows 10 unable to associate .cfg to notepad

since windows update on 20 oct 18 KB4100347: Intel microcode updates I have lost the association of.cfg to notepad. I've tried the usual thing like always open with notepad. I got windows to search online, and it came up with notepadx and I was able to associate .cfg with this app.

Weird, I've got that KB update as well and have no problems opening cfg files with Notepad.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

No problem here.  Make sure that you have "all files" selected in notepad.  I find Notepad++ a much better editor.  It's freeware available thru a google search.  I've been using Notepad++ for years without a problem.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I don't remember what it's called, but there is a utility for Windows 10 that will reset all file associations.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

And there are a few ways to reset associations from within Settings. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

On 10/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, bobbyjack said:

And there are a few ways to reset associations from within Settings. 

would you be so kind and let us know how to do it please?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I've been using the FREE EditPad Lite as a text editor for many years, from https://www.editpadlite.com/convenience.html

Download from https://www.editpadlite.com/download.html

So, to set default apps:

1. Go to SETTINGS

2. Click APPS

3. Click DEFAULT APPS

4. Scroll down & click Choose default apps by file type: (or just above if you want to reset ALL back to Microsoft's defaults)

5. Scroll down & find the file type/extension you want: for example … .cfg

6. Click the + Block or whatever block is there & you will get a list of options. 

In my case I select EditPad Lite

7. Do the same for .txt or whatever you want to assign

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I have the same issue with assigning .cfg to notepad. And there is no .cfg file on the list of file extensions. weird. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Hello,

having cleanly reinstalled Windows 10 1803 17134.376 I find that Windows will not allow file association with any "app"

that is not from the Microsoft store, including those bundled with Windows itself.

Like the OP, I cannot even associate Notepad to .txt files, though strangely it did to .cfg and .log files.

As evidence of the problem, I downloaded NotepadX from the Microsoft store and it readily associates with

every file that it can open.

I had this version through upgrade and file associations could be made as before, with any "app" of choice.

I therefore suspect that those affected will only those with with a recent clean Windows 10 installation.

I have read but not from an authority, that this is a bug and will be corrected when 1809 is finally repaired

and released.

Edited by nolonger

I have a fully updated Windows 10 install, including 1809, & I have no problems at all when I assign file extentions  with any program not from the Store. 

I have assigned Foxit PDF reader for my .pdf, my video extentions are all associated with VLC, audio runs with Aimp, & all my text stuff (.cfg, ,txt etc) all open with EditPad Lite.

My pictures open with Irfanview. I'm not using anything from the Store.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I have read but not from an authority, that this is a bug and will be corrected when 1809 is finally repaired and released.

Apparently then this is correct.

I've had the 1809 update eversince it first came out, a couple of weeks ago, with no issues whatsoever. 

Note that a major update such as this, will take your assignments back to Windows default, so you will have to re-assign your extentions back to what you want to open them with, once the update is completed.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thank you.

I had it too and the associations were working as they always have.

It is the clean installation of 1803 that seems to be limited to Microsoft store product file associations.

While it is good for you that it is all working, your proposed solution is not available to me or the OP.

Microsoft have withdrawn 1809 for the time being so it is not available to those who have reinstalled recently.

Edited by nolonger

Thanks for the replies. I had done a clean install  of 1803. I'll just have to wait for 1809.

Bye the way I can open cfg in not pad but not as a default just have to click a few more times.