Sign in to follow this  
Sungyoon

PMDG Aircraft's External Shadow Problem in DX9

Hello, 

I'm a Simmer from the South Korea!

This is my first time to write the article in Avsim Forum. 🙂

Usually, I enjoying FSX with DX9 mode, because when I run my sim with DX10 Preview mode, I just got A LOT of problems with my FSX.(I think it's because of the absence of DX10 Fixer..)

Even though I cannot activate my DX10 Preview mode, I really want to get the 'Vivid Shadows on the Fuselage' which was enabled in DX10 Preview mode. 

So, To see the shadows on the Fuselage, I tweaked my 'General.fx' and 'General10.fx' in my ShadersHLSL folder which is in the FSX root folder. 

The Link below was very helpful so I refer to it a lot.(Link is about the intensity of shadows but actucally, when I apply it, I CAN SEE the shadows on the fuselage!)

It was so happy that I eventually got the shadows on the fuselage in the FSX!

However, I found a small problem with it Today. 😞 

The Problem was just like the Photos below. (Links to my private blog!)

http://blog.daum.net/naidetector/268

As you can see, the shadow of all of my PMDG Aircrafts is cut-off!

In spite of it, the Default Aircraft's Shadow seems OK.

Anybody knows the Solution for this problem?

I'll wait for your help! 

Thank you so much for reading the Long article. 😉 and thanks in advance.

Also Sorry for my bad English. ^^

-Lee

Edited by Sungyoon

8 hours ago, Sungyoon said:

I just got A LOT of problems with my FSX.(I think it's because of the absence of DX10 Fixer..)

You are correct.  Steve's DX10 Fixer fixes most of the issues with DX10 that Microsoft could not fix because the team of developers were released by Microsoft.  So, no further development.

So, To see the shadows on the Fuselage, I tweaked my 'General.fx' and 'General10.fx' in my ShadersHLSL folder which is in the FSX root folder. 

This is what Steve's DX10 Fixer does too.

Anybody knows the Solution for this problem?

I'll wait for your help! 

Buy Steve's DX10 Fixer.  AVSIM hosts the official support forum for this product.  Hope you enjoy your visits at AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes, I recommend it too. Does a lot more than fixes aircraft, - also fixes some scenery issues too. Make sure to read the very good manual. I've not used it in a long time now since I moved to P3D. I did get a lot of value from it, and Steve is very helpful on the forums.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I could not IMAGINE running FSX without FSUIPC and Steve's DX10 Fixer these days. Both very cheap for the huge benefits they provide. I use DX10Fixer before every flight to set the LOD for instance depending on the complexity of the add on aircraft I am using. For example 4.5 PMDG 8.5 FlySimWare. I know you can do that in fsx.cfg but the fixer provides am easy interface to make fast changes WITHOUT human typos crashing your sim.

Then alter on LINDA for add-on aircraft and hardware integration.

Those get configured before adding scenery and weather apps.

Note there is at least one typo in the above post. Easy to miss...in a cfg file a CTD excuse!

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

You are correct.  Steve's DX10 Fixer fixes most of the issues with DX10 that Microsoft could not fix because the team of developers were released by Microsoft.  So, no further development.

This is what Steve's DX10 Fixer does too.

Buy Steve's DX10 Fixer.  AVSIM hosts the official support forum for this product.  Hope you enjoy your visits at AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for your reply!

Oh, I knew that the DX10 Fixer which steve made probably fix this problem. So, I already added the fixer in my shopping list! haha

However, before I bought it, I just want to know that if I can get the shadow on the fuselage through fixing the general.fx and general10.fx files.

If I can't fix this problem in myself, then I will buy the DX10 Fixer.

Thank you again for your answer & greetings!

-Lee

8 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Yes, I recommend it too. Does a lot more than fixes aircraft, - also fixes some scenery issues too. Make sure to read the very good manual. I've not used it in a long time now since I moved to P3D. I did get a lot of value from it, and Steve is very helpful on the forums.

Hi Jude!

Really appreciate with your reply! I didn't know that it's important THAT MUCH!! I'll consider the DX10 fixer for my solution then.

However, Before I apply the DX10, I just wonder that If I can get the shadow through just editing the general.fx file!

Thanks again for your answer! 

-Lee

Edited by Sungyoon

5 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I could not IMAGINE running FSX without FSUIPC and Steve's DX10 Fixer these days. Both very cheap for the huge benefits they provide. I use DX10Fixer before every flight to set the LOD for instance depending on the complexity of the add on aircraft I am using. For example 4.5 PMDG 8.5 FlySimWare. I know you can do that in fsx.cfg but the fixer provides am easy interface to make fast changes WITHOUT human typos crashing your sim.

Then alter on LINDA for add-on aircraft and hardware integration.

Those get configured before adding scenery and weather apps.

Note there is at least one typo in the above post. Easy to miss...in a cfg file a CTD excuse!

Hi sloppysmusic!

Thank you for your answer! After I read your reply, I more convinced that the DX10 fixer is MUST-HAVE item! :)

I'll will consider the DX10 Fixer then.

Thank you for your answer!

-Lee

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sungyoon said:

Hi sloppysmusic!

Thank you for your answer! After I read your reply, I more convinced that the DX10 fixer is MUST-HAVE item! 🙂

I'll will consider the DX10 Fixer then.

Thank you for your answer!

-Lee

You're welcome Lee! When you get it, follow the excellent pdf instructions to set it up correctly and have fun experimenting! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK