Sign in to follow this  
swallsgaming

Massive Lag Spikes

Hi All,

I have been experiencing spikes of low framerate when at about 100kts when taking off.

My regular framerate sits between 25 and 35 on the ground and 25 and 45 in the air, but as I take off, my frames drop to 17 making it look extremely stuttery.

I have tried a few things, such as turning the autogen completely off which resolved the issue but when even on sparse, the same problem is there and doesn't get worse when I increase it to extremely dense and turning it completely off is not a resolution for me as without autogen, the scenery looks awful. And I have also tried reducing the LOD Radius which hasn't changed it atall either. I have also looked in the task manager during the takeoff and nothing changes, CPU remains at 98% and RAM remains at 80% so it's nothing to do with malware.

I wouldn't be complaining if I knew there wasn't some sort of resolution because once I am off the ground at 500ft the framerate jumps to between 25 and 35 again and remains that way for the entire flight. So if the PC can do it for the entire flight and the entire time on the ground, surely it can also do it during the last part of the takeoff?

My PC:

i5 4690k OC 4.5GHz (I've already tried lowering the clock speed back and the problem remained and the overall framerate got worse)

8GB DDR3 1866MHz

MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

FSX is on a 1TB HDD (I have defragged as well so that's not the problem)

My FSX:

ORBX FTX Global, England, OpenLC Europe, Vector

UK2000 Gatwick <--- the airport I was taking off from

Chaseplane v1.0.9

Airosoft Airbus X A320 <----the plane  I was using

Ultimate Traffic Live

Scenery Sliders are all on ORBX Recommended

Using DX10 with SteveFX DX10 Fixer (I wont go back to DX9 as my GPU doesn't agree with it and gives me 19fps on the lowest settings)

Cheers in advanced,

Matthew.

Seems like it may be normal since you are taking off from a non-default airport and the rate goes up shortly afterwards.  Have you tried lowering your airline AI which, if set at a high setting, would cause the stuttering until away from the airport.  Have you tried taking off from a default regional airport where there may not be so much traffic?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@charliearon Thank's for your speedy reply.

I will try taking off from a regional airport. The thing I cannot understand is why i'm getting 25-35fps all the time on the ground and during the first part of the takeoff, then at about 100kts it drops to a constant 17fps and then goes back to 25-35 when i'm at about 300 feet and stays that way. It also doesn't drop when i'm landing either

Takeoffs just seem to be the "happening" thing!  Lots going on during that time, more so than during the landing.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@charliearon I tried taking off from doncaster-sheffield airport which had no addon scenery except from what REX Texture direct had added to the runways and taxiways, the problem stopped which is good news! I'm about to try taking off from gatwick but with ai aircraft turned off and i'll see how it goes

Okay so I took off from gatwick with AI off completely and amazingly it not only fixed the problem but also gave me 60fps at most times which I thought was impossible with fsx! I guess it's just a case of slowly raising the density in Ultimate Traffic Live until I meet in the middle with a decent realistic amount of AI and a good enough framerate that doesn't plummit when i'm taking off!

Thanks for all your help!

Matthew.

Outstanding!  It usually takes a few adjustments to get it where it needs to be. :happy:

Charlie Aron

@charliearon I tried 50%, but there was no performance increase. Then I tried 10%, and it was better again, so I tried 25% and there was no performance change from 10%, so I tried 40% and still no change in performance. At 50% the problem starts even thought there are not many aircraft and in my eyes there was no point in me getting UTL if i'm going to have gatwick with 5 planes in the entire airport. Also it's weird that as I travel further away from the planes, the lag starts?

On my old system I ran FS9 loaded with AI, dozens upon dozens of aircraft were in the skies most times.  In FSX I could not run AI without experiencing what you did especially around major, gated airports.  Even on my new system, with P3DV4, I run with only 33 pct AI, when AI aircraft load there was always a stutter.  Xplane11 is a different beast altogether, I can have dozens of static aircraft in view or two dozen AI aircraft in the vicinity with no issues.  Different engine, different results.  One trick might be going to your FSX.cfg and reducing the max texture size to 2048x2048 if it is not there already.  It is the AI textures loading that cause the issue.  Or, install low textured AI like WOAI and replace the default AI with it, which is what I did in FS9.  In P3DV4 I can fly around any major airport or scenery and never see fps drop below 30.  However I do not use autogen since I primarily fly over photoreal scenery, like the FSX/P3D Colorado scenery I added to Avsim's file library some years ago.

John

Even weirder that now when I start a flight from the 8R side of gatwick (away from all of the AI and airport scenery), the framerate sits at 17 as I start the takeoff and as soon as I get to nearly taking off, the framerate improves as I go past all of the AI aircraft and UK2000 textures?? So it looks to be something not right with the other side of the UK2000 Scenery?? @Cactus521 @charliearon

Edited by swallsgaming

@Cactus521 @charliearon I have now also tried taking off at UK2000 Stansted Xtreme with 100% traffic and didn't experience the same thing at all? My fps stayed good throughout which leads me to believe it's some object or something on the other side of the gatwick xtreme that's inhibiting my fps on one side of the airport?

2 minutes ago, swallsgaming said:

@Cactus521 @charliearon I have now also tried taking off at UK2000 Stansted Xtreme with 100% traffic and didn't experience the same thing at all? My fps stayed good throughout which leads me to believe it's some object or something on the other side of the gatwick xtreme that's inhibiting my fps on one side of the airport?

Try a different region altogether--Paris, the US, a detailed airport however.  Does the spike happen or not there, will nail down UK2000 as the culprit or not.   Add ons can be challenging.  At least you will know one way or another.

John