Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Scenery_pacs.ini

Now that I'm running the Orbx "GB south", it's mandatory to have at least two items (Landmarks London and Global Airports) above the three GB entries.  Apparently my file missed the meeting where scenery arrangement was implemented.  Each time after I've run the sim, I take a look and the arrangement is never the same - several attempts to arrange things according to the gospel have not prevented it changing on a whim.  I tried the 'arranging' software but no joy.  Ideas?

By "arranging" software I take it you mean xOrganizer? If you haven't tried it then you should.

You also need to ensure that auto save is turned "ON" in the top banner. Then you won't have any problems.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

A few things: 

- when rearranging the ini file, x-plane must be stopped
- if adding scenery manually (so by not starting and quiting x-plane) you must make sure you don't make a typo. 
- there was a script (I don't recall the name as I never used it) that deletes you ini file every flight. If you happen to have such a script, remove it from your plugin folder, as it does more harm then good.
- Microsoft like to add the .txt suffix behind the name if you edit a file in notepad.

What I do: 
- drop the new scenery in the custom scenery folder
- start X-Plane, and quit it again (it is not necessary to start a flight)
- open scenery_packs.ini and arrange it as needed
- save the file (for completeness), and if you are using Windows (95% chance you are) make sure there is no .txt added to the name of your scenery_packs.ini file after rearranging (example: scenery_packs.ini.txt). Check the complete filename, to be sure.
- start flying.

What I don't like: automation software to arrange the scenery_packs.ini file.

Edited by soaring_penguin

Use the free notepad++ to edit these files. It has a number of advantages, and it saves the file as an .ini ( or whatever it’s current extension is) rather than changing the extension to .txt. My ini file never rearranges itself, so you may indeed have some script at work that deletes the file on each start. 

2 hours ago, Griphos said:

Use the free notepad++ to edit these files. It has a number of advantages, and it saves the file as an .ini ( or whatever it’s current extension is) rather than changing the extension to .txt. My ini file never rearranges itself, so you may indeed have some script at work that deletes the file on each start. 

I suspect you may be correct.  Where would I locate such a script?

Try the Plugins folder, there might be a LUA script there somewhere.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I prefer that software companies don't install scenery and change your scenery.ini file. It rarely goes well. First time for me was the orbx XP11 Miegs field which did not place in correct order. So easy a cavemen can do it by himself. The utility is okay also. I love XP where you can just drop an aircraft or scenery in the folder and boom its done with exception of orthoxp which is still just a quick move in the scenery.ini file.

:P Timothy Murphy

Redid mine exactly as recommended by 'Tony Wob' - see how it goes.

Edited by olderndirt