Sign in to follow this  
Sekkha

No Chime sound on Data Link activation - 744

4 minutes ago, Sekkha said:

I am neither talking about ECL nor about the EFB as you can clearly see.

I know you aren't, but you asserted that a note be added about things that the aircraft does not have.

Note that the update supplement includes references to the ECL and EFB, but you were somehow able to parse that out, despite the lack of a note stating otherwise.

Kyle Rodgers

48 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I know you aren't, but you asserted that a note be added about things that the aircraft does not have.

Note that the update supplement includes references to the ECL and EFB, but you were somehow able to parse that out, despite the lack of a note stating otherwise.

Pleae note that only the "PMDG 747-8  SUPPLEMENT" talks about those items. 

The UPDATE SUPPLEMENT does not because it adresses obviously common new features for 744 and 748. And here is where the DATA LINK item is discussed.

Edited by Sekkha

Boys, Boys, Boys....

It **is already** documented for you!

744 FCOM Chapter 5  and 748 FCOM Chapter 5 each describe the display of the advisory messages associated with the datalink.  You will then deduce from your system knowledge that you should not expect to hear a chime in the 744 because it is being shown as an advisory message, while on the 748 it is a COMM message and carries an accompanying advisory message.

If this wasn't clear to you:  Since you are a good pilot and like to read huge manuals, (:ph34r:) jump to chapter 15 "Warning Systems" and you will find further elucidation for your aviation pleasure!

• Like 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

2 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

elucidation

Impressive. I haven't seen that word since I was in G-school. ROFL

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

You will then deduce from your system knowledge that you should not expect to hear a chime in the 744 because it is being shown as an advisory message, while on the 748 it is a COMM message and carries an accompanying advisory message.

If this wasn't clear to you:  Since you are a good pilot and like to read huge manuals, (:ph34r:) jump to chapter 15 "Warning Systems" and you will find further elucidation for your aviation pleasure!

Oh, thanks for your kind words!
But I am afraid I dont really deserve them, because I think I could
hardly be called a pilot, and less a good one.    :)

Actually I have to confess that I never went through the DATA LINK chapter in the FCOM as there was no
simulation of ACARS or other datalink functionality before the update. So after the update I just read the chapter of the introduction manual which explains the new features for both , 744 and 748. And Ok, I just learned that it was maybe naive (and thus not appropriate for a good pilot) to just take as a fact what is stated there and thus expect a chime without digging deeper into the FCOM.

But as I dont want to get called a bad student I had a quick look into these chapters now, and I have honestly to admit that I would not have been able to make this deduction myself! I am even more confused now because I learned on page 5.33.1 that uplinked ATC messages are indeed announced by a low level aural chime in the 744.....So I obviously dont understand what this chime thing is 

You see that also my system knowledge still leaves a lot to desire ..LOL
I will retire thus!