Sign in to follow this  
Stavros

A much needed upgrade finally complete

So after years of simming on a macbook (oof, I know), I have *finally* been able to invest in a proper setup for flight simming, and I've gone all out and built the death laser of death laser computers.

And here she is!

IMG-3384.jpg

I never knew P3D could run so well, and after years of flying at <20fps with the settings turned basically as low as they can go, we're now getting consistently 40, 50, even 60FPS with what I can only describe as "cranked" settings and it's a joy. For those curious, the final specs are below:

• i7-8086k OC'd @ 5.2ghz
  • NZXT Kraken X62 280mm Liquid AIO
  • MSI Z370M - mATX mobo
  • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
  • 16GB 3200mhz RAM
  • 256gb Samsung 970 Evo boot drive
  • 1TB Samsung 860 Evo FS drive
  • EVGA 850 G3 PSU

Overall I can *highly* recommend these specs for anyone looking to get as much as possible out of P3D. I'm running this on a 4K monitor, and with the addons piled on I'm running smooth as butter to the point that I don't even have to worry about tweaking for performance, it's all about visuals.

Edited by Steven Agre
  • Like 6

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

Very good Steven looks great Indeed, Thanks for posting and the very best of luck to you ! 

I'm sure your neighbors appreciate the power outages every time you turn that thing on!

JK, congrats, nice setup!

That's a great system.  Have fun!

2 hours ago, Steven Agre said:

So after years of simming on a macbook (oof, I know), I have *finally* been able to invest in a proper setup for flight simming, and I've gone all out and built the death laser of death laser computers.

And here she is!

IMG-3384.jpg

I never knew P3D could run so well, and after years of flying at <20fps with the settings turned basically as low as they can go, we're now getting consistently 40, 50, even 60FPS with what I can only describe as "cranked" settings and it's a joy. For those curious, the final specs are below:

• i7-8086k OC'd @ 5.2ghz
  • MSI Z370M - mATX mobo
  • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
  • 16GB 3200mhz RAM
  • EVGA 850 G3 PSU

Overall I can *highly* recommend these specs for anyone looking to get as much as possible out of P3D. I'm running this on a 4K monitor, and with the addons piled on I'm running smooth as butter to the point that I don't even have to worry about tweaking for performance, it's all about visuals.

I am really interested in that case. But I am currently living in Qatar, and shipping could be more expensive than the case itself.

Would you please share the box dimensions with me? I need to send this info to the shipping courier.

Thanks! and sorry for disturbing your pleasant flight sim experience

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

3 hours ago, Steven Agre said:

And here she is!

IMG-3384.jpg

• i7-8086k OC'd @ 5.2ghz
  • MSI Z370M - mATX mobo
  • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
  • 16GB 3200mhz RAM
  • EVGA 850 G3 PSU

Although my system bought last year is slower, I found the same when I moved from my old system with FSX to my new one with Xplane11 and P3DV4.  My controller is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  My monitor I've had for almost a decade now.  P3DV4 runs so well, so does Xplane11, in my case I only tone down AA slightly, but no tweaks needed to be applied in either sim.  P3DV4 is my photoreal platform and also has most of my add-on aircraft, almost entirely Carenado.  Xplane11 also used to be a photoreal platform for me with homespun Ortho4XP scenery but then I fell in love with its default scenery, landclass, autogen and overall sky blending so that is how I fly it.  I almost exclusively fly it with my Aerobask Eclipse add on but I also love its 172 and Aerolight 103 Ultralight.  Can't go wrong with either sim.  I bought my system at Fry's Electronics last year and almost got something with a beefier Nvidia card, but the salesperson assured me that my MSI Vortex would run P3DV4 and Xplane11 fine, and he was right.  I did not like Xplane10 on my old system, almost did not get Xplane11 but decided to take the plunge anyway.  I thought "who needs two sims" but two sims fill the niches I enjoy in flight training and just sightseeing sometimes too.  Cannot recommend either sim enough, but who needs my opinion, dozens of Avsim hobbyists and mods can't go wrong.

John

44 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Cannot recommend either sim enough, but who needs my opinion, dozens of Avsim hobbyists and mods can't go wrong.

You beat me to it! I was just about to recommend giving X-Plane 11 a run for its money on a rig like that. You won't be disappointed, especially now with the likes of TrueEarth GB released from Orbx! Nevermind all the top quality scenery and aircraft add-ons/mods. And besides, the X-Plane 11 demo is free so you can't go wrong in giving it a go! And by the way, awesome PC!!!

What would your previous sims have run at with that kind of system?  It does look good though. 

Looks good..

did you build it yourself?

Im starting to contemplate jumping into a proper system to get me where I want to be with my flight sim experience. I’m not Savy enough to build a system though, I think I would have to buy a pre built system off newegg or something.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

25 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Looks good..

Im starting to contemplate jumping into a proper system to get me where I want to be with my flight sim experience. I’m not Savy enough to build a system though, I think I would have to buy a pre built system off newegg or something.

Building a system from scratch is not as hard as you might think.  Although my current system was factory made, I built a system in 1999 that still works today, although I have not booted it in some years.  I used an Antec case, an Iwill motherboard, Intel CPU, and a couple of graphics cards.  Only problem that developed was a short in the power supply, which I never replaced, having bought a Gateway to upgrade it ten years into its life.  But I do understand the challenge of building which is why I chose not to build again--assembling the parts, getting the motherboard attached to the case and grounded properly, getting the cpu and fans installed, and so on.  But it was fun and a distraction that year--I had just learned I was going to be a father that year and also I was a systems implementation consultant so knowing how systems were put together was a big help when my clients would ask me to install a card into their systems, which was not a job requirement but certainly made the clients happy.  Regardless whether a system is homebuilt or store bought there is nothing more satisfying than having one that runs your fav sim and add ons as you wish them to run, as mine does for me and many others have the same with their systems.  Sims today no longer outpace hardware as much as they used to as well, I noticed that with Xplane and P3D since my cpu speed is lower compared to some newer or overclocked systems.

John

7 hours ago, ttbq1 said:

I am really interested in that case. But I am currently living in Qatar, and shipping could be more expensive than the case itself.

Would you please share the box dimensions with me? I need to send this info to the shipping courier.

Thanks! and sorry for disturbing your pleasant flight sim experience

Just look up the Corsair Crystal 280x, if you look it up on amazon it should have the shipping dimensions listed

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Looks good..

Yep, build it myself and honestly it was really easy. You just follow the manual, it tells you what goes where and it’s pretty hard to screw up.

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I’m not Savy enough to build a system though, I think I would have to buy a pre built system off newegg or something.

Not sure what's possible in other countries but where I live I pick all the parts myself and then let the vendor assemble everything.

My first computers were 'factory' PC's (like Dell) and they were bad for gaming. They also were impossible to upgrade yourself.

I then build a few computers myself but it was pretty stressful, partially because I used to buy all parts at various shops in order to save money (and when something went wrong you'd never know which shop to go to for help), partially because putting the cooler (which became bigger and bigger) properly on the CPU was often problematic... I always was afraid to crack the CPU or apply too little thermal paste. (I do things have become easier to do nowadays though.)

So for my last computers (I used to buy/build/assemble one every 3 years or so, but not anymore) I selected all parts myself, then looked for a shop that had them all (or most of them) and then let the shop assemble everything. Installing the OS and OC'ing I always did myself.

My next computer will probably be a 'guaranteed OC'd out of the box' one, if I can find a vendor who does that.

Building yourself can be fun but also pretty stressful...!

BTW Never buy a factory made PC (like from Dell or HP, if those companies still exist...): selecting parts yourself and having it build with your wishes in mind ALWAYS is cheaper and you'll ALWAYS get a much faster PC too.

EDIT
PS Great PC, Steven! 😉

Edited by Guest