Sign in to follow this  

Twitch

15 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Thinking about splitting the twitch tv comments to a new topic.  We have seemed to have gotten away from the OP.

Hear Hear!

Well done Jim.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Woozie said:

Here's a breakdown of one of the most successful twitch streamers with more than 10 million followers, he's earning about 5 mio $ per year with twitch streaming. I'm not sure if those numbers are guesstimates or actually officially published figures. 

• Metrics
    • Twitch subscribers - 94,369
    • Average Viewers Per Week - 81,654
    • Average Bit Cheers - 2,636,291
  • Revenue
    • Subscription - $3,955,571
    • Ad - $509,521
    • Bit Donations - $316,354.92
    • Average Sponsorship - $600,000
    • Average Estimated YouTube Compensation - $36,000

As you can see, you can make quite a bit of money with a rather small number of viewers compared to how many views you tube content needs to provide a substancial income. But as i already mentioned, on twitch, you only really earn money while you are live. 

What on earth is he broadcasting to earn 5 Millions USD? 

S.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

On a side note what is Twitch?

A dog and pony show... I'm not meaning to offend dogs and ponies.

Greg

5 hours ago, simbol said:

What on earth is he broadcasting to earn 5 Millions USD? 

It can get really crazy really quickly on popular mainstream games. I have no trouble believing those numbers

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

10 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

It can get really crazy really quickly on popular mainstream games. I have no trouble believing those numbers

Still what on earth can this channel be showing worth 5 Million USD? :wacko:

Joke a side, I showed this to my dad and told him.. you remember when you told me to stop playing stupid videos games and do my homework instead as playing with my video console would never give me any income? he laughed and told me so why you listened to me :dry:..

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 3

As a dad to an 11 year-old son, the concept of watching other people play video games as opposed to playing them yourself was hard to grasp at first. My son's demographic, though, has made it possible for Tyler Blevins (aka Ninja) to make a projected 10+ million USD this year. For better or worse, Twitch along with YouTube seems to be the media of choice for the next generation. All three of my kids will choose YouTube or Twitch over traditional movies and TV every. single. time. I myself have enjoyed watching several smaller flight sim streamers over the past couple of years, but mostly because they are very knowledgeable or genuinely interesting. 

Chris

When I fly, I stream it on Twitch because I was already going to fly the flight anyway. Streaming it just gives me the added benefit of having people to talk to when I do fly. I certainly haven't made money off of any of my streams, and I only stream when I'm at home.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I'd be so nervous about "Twitching" that I'd be embarrassed by my truly abysmal flying! :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'd be so nervous about "Twitching" that I'd be embarrassed by my truly abysmal flying! :laugh:

Ha, no need to worry about that. Abysmal flying is a staple of flight simming on Twitch 😉

• Like 1

Chris

It's pretty amazing. Some streamers will just stream for hours and hours on end flying across the Atlantic or driving around in a virtual truck. There is only so much you can talk about whilst looking at a virtual ocean, so I respect these personalities being able to keep an audience entertained for that long and also getting them to pay money for it. 

However, it's somewhat not too surprising. There is so much rubbish and adverts on the television these days that even a guy talking about his pet dogs or new carpet whilst flying a PMDG 777 to Australia would be more tolerable 🙂. Good on them I say 

Twitch is the place you can find horrors or similar minds. Like ALL live media from radio/tv/YouTube to even online newspapers these days there are invariably TWO major different types of broadcaster. 

1) "I'm good at something or learning to be good at something and would like you to watch and learn/help me."

2) "I'm desperate for validation on social media and will do ANYTHING I'm legally allowed to in order to become as popular as possible, quality be damned."

It is very easy to find the #2 type (ha see what I did there!) as it is thrown in your face as a new member (you can watch Twitch without an account but you cannot comment on streams which is half the fun). Very quickly you learn the ropes of searching for content that you want to watch. Finding a channel you 'love' is almost like meeting a new friend with the same interests, you can't wait to say 'me too!"

There are lots of streamers that reckon the bigger/more expensive the plane then the more viewers they will get. People are still impressed by size alone it seems. Prepare(3d) to see a LOT of PMDG aircraft being abused in ways that should be illegal in the right world....

Then suddenly you will find someone with only 2 or 3 viewers working through his checklists and trying to get it right. He cannot seem to close the cabin doors. You excitedly type "you need to have only one APU or GPU circuit for the systems leave 1 off for the doors!!"

He tries your suggestion..it works and your life/existence has been justified for a few hours as you stay in the stream and become the instructor to your new student! Don't OVERDO it though. A much hated practice is "backseat gaming". This is when someone is watching who is one of those people who tells you what happens next in the movie you are watching insists on telling the streamer exactly what to do and what to expect every minute until you wish you could mute them. Many channels will block you for this. It is pretty annoying.

My personal fave stream was one i found late night/early morning when could not sleep. Found a real life pilot who was progressing through his airline career in Australia/NZ and streamed long haul flights pretty well all his down time. Using ONLY pop up 2D panels for speed and systems detail there were no outside views used at all except take off and landing obviously. It was like walking into a real life cockpit and sitting down quietly to watch and learn. Every procedure was by the book precisely including live ATC. During cruise I'd ask questions and he was friendly and helpful. There were literally just the 2 of us. Him streaming and me watching. Brilliant stuff no cash model could ever justify putting on live. I'd fall asleep as he turned the PACKS down and wake up to see the landing.

Quite a few old fogies like me flying their favorite addons around at night time. Can be quite cosy and interactive.

Just DON"T say a word to the guy with the 747-800 at the gate cold and dark wondering why he cannot turn the A/P on yet..."it's not moving...it's not ******MOOOVING!! This plane is *****!!".

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Like 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Try searching YouTube for best of twitch flight sim.  These are short summary videos of twitch highlights.  Some good stuff but mostly sim pilots that are not very good at flying. Kind of fun to watch in small doses. 

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I have never really bothered with Twitch. My geek level only goes as far as YouTube.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, sloppysmusic said:

Then suddenly you will find someone with only 2 or 3 viewers working through his checklists and trying to get it right. He cannot seem to close the cabin doors. You excitedly type "you need to have only one APU or GPU circuit for the systems leave 1 off for the doors!!"

He tries your suggestion..it works and your life/existence has been justified for a few hours as you stay in the stream and become the instructor to your new student!

People actually do this? Oh, dear. Only one time I did a flight on stream when I didn't really know what I was doing, and that was when I was flying the PMDG Boeing 747-8I for the very first time. Even then, most of it I was able to figure out, just some of the functions that I wasn't quite familiar with that I had to figure out on my own.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

By the way with the World Flight charity event on this week (VATSIM) you can watch some good twitch streams of the event. The guys at twitch.tv/simfestuk are in their full fixed base 747 sim which is awesome to see. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000