Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

New P3D v4 PC - advice and comments welcome

I'm putting together the components for a new PC that will be built professionally as I'm not familiar with overclocking and want a warranty for what is an expensive bit of kit. The supplier is an hour away from my home near Bolton, Lancs, England.

It's for P3D v4 and the video signal will feed a UHD monitor.

• Fractal Design Define S ATX case
  • Gigabyte Intel Z370M mobo
  • Intel Core i7 8086K
  • Corsair Hydro H100x cooler
  • 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
  • 11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
  • 850W Corsair RMx, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold PSU
  • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD
  • 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
  • 1TB Seagate ST1000DM010 BarraCuda HDD
  • Windows 10 Pro

Any advantage to the Z390 mobo over the Z370?

My supplier only has Corsair RAM so others are not an option. Are there noticeable benefits to even faster RAM or 4*8Gb rather than 2*16Gb?

I've more or less decided on the 8086K processor as that can be successfully overclocked to 5Ghz. Last PC had an Asus mobo and I had problems with it keeping the correct time so it was swapped for a Gigabyte and I'm happy with them.

I like to have the OS on a separate drive but I'll also use part of that for P3D when required. Plan is to have OS on C and P3D on D. HDD is just for docs etc.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm putting together the components for a new PC that will be build professionally as I'm not familiar with overclocking and want a warranty for what is an expensive bit of kit. The supplier is an hour away from my home near Bolton, Lancs, England.

Hard to argue with this Kit. I too have parts on order to build an 8086K setup. My suggestion would be to talk with your builder about the MB. I decided to go with the more expensive Z390 (ASUS Hero in my case)because I want to give the 8086 every chance to perform to its max. Don't care about Brand. That is mostly personal choice. It's worth asking the question about a stronger MB even if you go with a 370.

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Thanks Sam. Comparing the 370 and 390 it wasn’t obvious what the benefits were. But I agree a chat will help.

I just know if I opt for a 1080Ti over the 2080Ti LM will then configure P3D in such a way that will greatly improve performance and I would then kick myself for not biting the bullet. So, somewhat riskely I’m biting the bullet.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

According to this article the benefits of the Z390 are wireless networking and up to 6 USB 3.1 ports. Neither are essential for my system.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268063/components-processors/intel-motherboard-z370-vs-h370-vs-b360-vs-h310-8th-gen-cpu.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Sam. Comparing the 370 and 390 it wasn’t obvious what the benefits were. But I agree a chat will help.

I just know if I opt for a 1080Ti over the 2080Ti LM will then configure P3D in such a way that will greatly improve performance and I would then kick myself for not biting the bullet. So, somewhat riskely I’m biting the bullet.

Yep....I am leaning towards getting just the 1080TI at this point to replace my 980TI which is over taxed running 4K monitor. It seems like the best choice for me  because I fly only GA and don't get into a lot of FPS costly airport add ons. I do just fine with the ORBX free airport add ons. In the end I think we are going to take a hit in the wallet either now with the 2080TI or in a year or two. LOL just a matter of choosing when you want to deal with the pain.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

According to this article the benefits of the Z390 are wireless networking and up to 6 USB 3.1 ports. Neither are essential for my system.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268063/components-processors/intel-motherboard-z370-vs-h370-vs-b360-vs-h310-8th-gen-cpu.html

Sorry I may have confused the issue with the 390Z. My real point is make sure the Z370 you mentioned is strong enough. It most likely won't make much difference in how the new computer performs just may be more durable and stable. At any rate your builder can best answer that for you.

Sam

Gigabyte Intel Z370M mobo

Which version of the Z370M? Some of the Z370M's are Micro ATX, not full size ATX... just so you know

Corsair Hydro H100x cooler

I would go for a 280 rad AIO, if you favour AIO's. Just my preference. Not sure if your chosen case supports a 280 rad. Better cooling and quieter

11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA

A tricky decision. Pretty certain that the new Nvidia architecture will be out next year, and 20 series may be the most short lived Nvidia have released to date. And a huge price premium while Nvidia encourage us to buy the 10 series because they have over one million cards in storage they need to get rid of. But I must admit... when I've settled for "not the latest" iv'e regretted it, so not an easy decision. 

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

I'd go for 3200 MHz or 3400 MHz. I'm no expert on the Corsair RAM, as I said before, GSkill Ripjaw V or Trident Z I'm a fan of.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Yep....I am leaning towards getting just the 1080TI at this point to replace my 980TI which is over taxed running 4K monitor. It seems like the best choice for me  because I fly only GA and don't get into a lot of FPS costly airport add ons. I do just fine with the ORBX free airport add ons. In the end I think we are going to take a hit in the wallet either now with the 2080TI or in a year or two. LOL just a matter of choosing when you want to deal with the pain.

Nvidia tend not to reduce prices so I don’t see their cards becoming cheaper in a year or two. As far as pain goes get it over with ASAP. 😄

I fly jets primary and have quite a few 3rd party airports so the demands are high. If fps are still low with that kit then I know the sliders need to go left. 😁

You’ll be fine with the 1080Ti at 4K.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@martin-w, thanks for the advice. It is an ATX case so options are limited but I will check on the cooler option. The Gigabyte mobo was the Micro-ATX variant. Don’t think I’ll bother with the Z390 as I don’t need the extras.

I agree it’s a risk with the 2080Ti especially given the price. I wonder if the 2080 would be a sensible compromise as it’s only £150 more than a 1080Ti but does have Ray Tracing capability and in bench tests was as fast as the 1080Ti.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Sorry I may have confused the issue with the 390Z. My real point is make sure the Z370 you mentioned is strong enough. It most likely won't make much difference in how the new computer performs just may be more durable and stable. At any rate your builder can best answer that for you.

Sam, can you explain what you mean by “strong enough” please? Do you mean physically strong enough to hold the components?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am speaking more of good components and good heat sinks. I have been guilty in the past of thinking the $130 MB will be "good enough" and saving a couple hundred dollars on the MB. I am now of the opinion, based on having sit through hours of reviews on memory and MB ratings and reviews, that these thing are more important now. My thinking is that because we are now pushing these chips and memory nearer to the limits the quality of the parts that goes into the MB is more important. 

• Like 1

Sam

Sam, thanks for clarifying. Given it’s a high-end board I would expect its components to be of high quality. It’s £117 but as it’s a Micro-ATX format seems about right..

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I went with a Z390 motherboard.  Everybody says there is no difference in the power components of the Z370's and Z390s' but... how come the 9000 series CPU's draw more power than the 8000's?  Higher power draw, more heat, better cooling.  Given that there's so much FUD about the new releases I decided to error on the side of caution.  Cost a bit more but is cheap insurance.  Additionally, if I do want to upgrade from the 8086K to a 9000 in the future all I'll need is the CPU... relatively cheap upgrade then.

Greg

7 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I went with a Z390 motherboard.  Everybody says there is no difference in the power components of the Z370's and Z390s' but... how come the 9000 series CPU's draw more power than the 8000's?  Higher power draw, more heat, better cooling.  Given that there's so much FUD about the new releases I decided to error on the side of caution.  Cost a bit more but is cheap insurance.  Additionally, if I do want to upgrade from the 8086K to a 9000 in the future all I'll need is the CPU... relatively cheap upgrade then.

Greg

That was my thinking also. It's always a gamble. These days the only thing we can be sure of is how pretty the little blinking lights will look inside the case that no one else will ever see!!🙈

Sam

47 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@martin-w, thanks for the advice. It is an ATX case so options are limited but I will check on the cooler option. The Gigabyte mobo was the Micro-ATX variant. Don’t think I’ll bother with the Z390 as I don’t need the extras.

if it were me, I wouldn't spend all that money on a top-notch system, and then compromise it to a degree with a Micro ATX motherboard. There are some really great Mini ITX and Micro ATX boards around, but they are trying to pack all that's required for a high performing motherboard into a small package, that always comes with compromises. 

• Like 1