Sign in to follow this  
JPFLIGHT

TFDi 717 or Leonardo Maddog?

Hi All,

Long time simmer and lurker, first time poster here!

I upgraded to P3D V4 a couple of months ago and have been updating my scenery and hanger with each paycheck and have now got to a point where i'm looking for my next aircraft that i haven't got and i'm looking for something not Airbus or Boeing. I am a study level flyer (finally got proper fsuipc recently to get down to the knitty gritty of multi-engine control!) and fly both Aerosoft A3XX professional and PMDG 737 and 747.

I have seen the MD-82 and the 717 and was wondering which one to go for? I mostly fly in Europe so both would now be quite niche but i quite like that idea eg DAT flying MD-82 or the Volotea 717 plus using house liveries for private flights.

My rig is a 6700k and 1070 so i would expect performance not to be an issue - the PMDG 747 flies like a beauty with Tomatoshade and rain effects.

Thanks for any guidance

James

Very good question , i have both and they serve me well when i can find the time for them.

If i absolutely should have one i would pick up the Maddog . More retro 🙂

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Go get both. It is very interesting how the cockpit has developed from traditional style to all glas. Also interesting how complicated APU handling and engine start is in the MD-82 and how it has been simplified in the B-717. The MD-82 is a wonderful piece of aviation history and definitely has more workload. The B-717 - especially its FMC - reminds me of the Fokker 70/100 by former developer Digital Aviation, which was one of my favorite planes in FSX.

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I have both. Get the Maddog.

The 717 is a beauty but unfortunately the CTDs weren’t resolved yet for some.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Maddog - in my view one of the best FS airliners ever.

I don't have the 717 but I did cave in last month when SP1 (beta) was released by Leonardo for the Maddog X. Didn't have much chance to dive deep into it yet, but for what I've seen until now, I am deeply impressed by it. Attention to detail is stunning on the Maddog and imho surpaces PMDG.

So in short; I'd recommend the Maddog 😎

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I don't have the 717 but do have the MD80. 
It is easily on par with any PMDG aircraft, so one of the best in my hangar.
Besides that, MD80 cockpit is in between steam-gauges and full glass cockpit which I like the best.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Ideally, get both. They're great products in their own classes. 

If you had to choose one, the TFDi 717 still suffers from some CTDs which might be resolved with the next P3D update but it isn't as polished as the MD so I would go with the MD80. It is up there with FSL and Majestic, way above PMDG.

No wrong answer. They're both wonderful addition to the DC9 series fans hanger.. The Maddog has a steeper learning curve but does have an FS2 Crew FO available if you prefer to fly with an assistant.

• Like 1

Vic green

I have both...and also the DC9 Coolsky (but that's another story ;-))

In terms of systems, they are more deeply modelled in the Maddog. We are at the level of Majestic, Pmdg and so....
Be advised that the Maddog will be installed on disk 😄 (4GB). The installer does not give you the choice of location. Many users protested (including me). So far Leonardo has remained deaf to complaints!

The B717's systems are less sophisticated than the Maddog's, but it is a very pleasant aircraft to use and fly. The textures and lighting are superb and really a success.
If you have MCE, a complete set of flows is almost finished and will be available very soon.
I have never had a CTD with the TFDI but it's true, some have had this problem.

If you can take both. Otherwise, watch the many videos on Youtube to help you make a choice.

Richard

• Upvote 2

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I have both.  If getting both is not an option, it comes down to what era of aircraft you would prefer.

They are both excellent addons, FYI I have no CTD issues with the 717.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I own both and prefer the Maddog due to the fact it is a plane that challenges you and you have to know how to operate it in all phases of flight. As far as the 717 goes, I have owned it since release and have built two different systems with different hardware and I am still getting CTD since P3Dv3.4 - P3Dv4.3 when cycling views from outside to inside. I can run the Maddog all day long without system restarts and it flies all day long.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, Shomron said:

I have both. Get the Maddog.

The 717 is a beauty but unfortunately the CTDs weren’t resolved yet for some.

I never have CDTs with the 717.  It's a very stable aircraft.

If some people are having problems it is probably something in their computer setup, like antivirus or bad memory.

I could never pick from either the Maddog or the 717.  I have them both and couldn't do without either.

4 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

I am still getting CTD since P3Dv3.4 - P3Dv4.3 when cycling views from outside to inside

I don't have the B717, but from some friends I heard the same about those CTDs. They've been crazy trying to solve it.

I have the Maddog, and I can only confirm what others are saying here, it's really a wonderfull simulation of the MD82.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, DrumsArt said:

The installer does not give you the choice of location. Many users protested (including me). So far Leonardo has remained deaf to complaints!

The installer directs to your Documents folder.  This was brought up in Beta testing and LM suggests to developers to install there not the Sim Objects folder.  The work around for this and I would recommend this to anyone.  Is to move your documents folder to another hard drive.  This ensures backups of all your work also.  Plus now your are splitting the load to three hard drives 🙂

On a side note, A2A installs into this directory as well with no other option if I recall.

• Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries