Sign in to follow this  
Guest Northy

Helicopter route charts

Guest Northy

Hi Simmers,Over the past few weeks I've been flying Helicopters for a change.Just wondered if anyone new of any sites where I can download route charts for choppers or can you basically fly where you like? Also do helicopters have specific approaches in to heliports as aircraft have into airports?Thanks for any help.RegardsMartin.

Guest jacob001

There is a PDF that I've never looked at on ais.org.uk called something along the lines of 'Helicopter Standard Routes.' There are also charts for heliports there. If you're intending to do it on VATSIM I'd advise you to ask your vACC. (I've never dared fly a helo on VATSIM. My hands are full with the various controls thanks to no autopilot so I'd need a third hand to communicate with ATC as I use text!)

No point in looking as that section hasn't yety been developed!In the UK there is a catch-all requirement in the Rules of the Air that a helicopter shall not fly below such a height as would enable it to land without danger to persons or property on the surface in the event of a failure of a power unit and that it may not fly over a congested area below 1500ft above the highest fixed object within 600m of the helicopter. In addition, helicopters may not fly over a specified area of central London below such a height as would enable it land clear of the area in the event of a failure of a power unit. Flights by single-engined helicopters are normally prohibited from entering this area and must use a helicopter route along the river Thames which is excluded from the area. All helicopters must be prepared to make emergency landings in the river! There are also a further 6 defined helicopter routes within the London CTR but this may be exceptional because this CTR is Class A airspace. Also IFR and non-IFR flights are treated differently

In the US there are no specific routes, but there are some approaches that are specifically made for helicopters. I've seen several and they're always marked "COPTER".----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Wayne Smith

There are definitely real world helicopter routes in many of the major US cities including New York, Boston, Washington, DC and Chicago, and also in the London, UK area. Real world helicopter route charts are available from various sources, such as your local FBO or pilot supply stores, or web based pilot shops that focus on the needs of the rotary wing community, such as helicoptersonly.com. For Flight Simulator and VATSIM flying in the NYARTCC, you can download actual (but not current) helicopter route charts in PDF or GIF format from the VATSIM NYARTCC web site, in the Pilot Resources section. See this URL for the download page:http://www.nyartcc.org/route_central/helicopter/index.htmMetro Helicopters VA has also developed customized helicopter route charts for the NY area, which are based on Flight Sim secenery, and which show key VFR reporting points and landmarks associated with the New York and New Jersey routes. See our Crew Center, on the Metro Web site: www.metrohelo.orgThere are also "Copter ILS" approach plates available on sites like www.airnav.comThe AIRNAV site also has detailed information about many heliports. For example, see this URL for the East 34th Street heliport in New York City (6N5): http://www.airnav.com/airport/6N5For examples of the heliopter routes and info on helicopter operations at heliports and airport helipads, see my presentation "Flying Helicopters on VATSIM", which can be downloaded from www.hovercontrol.com.Feel free to PM me if any questions.Best regards,Wayne SmithMetro One / NMH01Senior Command PilotExecutive DirectorMetro Helicopters VAwww.metrohelo.org