Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

How much RAM do you have for P3D v4

How much RAM do you have for P3D v4?  

285 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM do you have for P3D version 4.x?

I’m close to placing an order for a new PC to run P3D v4 and cannot decide if 16Gb of RAM is sufficient or whether I should go for 32Gb for future-proofing.

The best way to find out is to ask you to complete the poll and add any comments here you feel would help me (and potentially others). Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m close to placing an order for a new PC to run P3D v4 and cannot decide if 16Gb of RAM is sufficient or whether I should go for 32Gb for future-proofing.

The best way to find out is to ask you to complete the poll and add any comments here you feel would help me (and potentially others). Thanks for your help.

I thought you were never going to move to x64 bit.. what is making you change your mind?

16GB of RAM should be enough.

It is more important to choose a Video Card with a lot of Ram as it will allow you to receive more benefits from P3D.

Regards,

Simbol

• Upvote 1

I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb which made no noticeable difference to the PC or Fsim performance

+1 for the VRAM, running high res textures my Video RAM often gets to 9gb 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, simbol said:

I thought you were never going to move to x64 bit.. what is making you change your mind?

16GB of RAM should be enough.

It is more important to choose a Video Card with a lot of Ram as it will allow you to receive more benefits from P3D.

Regards,

Simbol

It was always down to whether FSL would produce a 64-bit version of Concorde. They are working on it now so I want to be ready when it comes out. Plus selling my existing PC for a reasonable sum helps towards the cost of the new one.

I’m going for the 2080Ti so 11Gb should be enough.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There are 4 slot on my Sabertooth Z87. When I built the system put in 8gb (2x4GB) GSkill 2400mhz CL9 so two slot used.

When I changed from 32bit P3D to 64bit P3D. I searched high and Low for the Identical kit and found one used on ebay for about $100 which is about half what I paid for the original one.

So now I had 16GB (4x4GB) GSkill 2400mhz CL9 with all four slots used. It all worked perfectly. About a month later one of the sticks failed. I have no idea if it was one of the original 2 I bought new or one of the used pair. I RMA'd it to G-Skill and they sent me back a brand new identical module. All has worked perfectly since. That's well over a year.

If I was building a new system today. I would buy the best 2x16GB kit i.e. 32GB I could get/afford. And a MB with four slots. Then In a coupe of years if I wanted to or needed to increase the amount of memory I would try to pick up the same kit used hopefully for about 1/2 the new price so I would have 4x16GBi.e. 64GB. In the other words do exactly what I did this time 😁

Edited by Guest

I haven't need more than 16GB RAM "yet" … BUT the more important aspect of P3D is to have MORE than 8GB VRAM if you want to bask in it's splendor … 11GB (is enough for now and future).  FSL Concorde will not tax your VRAM or RAM … as I understand it the Concorde will not be as complex as the FSL A3xx series so it'll probably have a small memory foot print.

Cheers, Rob.

Still happily flying with 8 GB RAM, wondering what I am missing :unsure:

• Like 2

Bert

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have just 8GB of RAM and P3D and Xplane have never complained, and sometimes I multitask and have a browser open so I can get Airport info from AirNav or another source, or I have media player running playing music.  I was more concerned with my VRAM, which is only 3GB, but even that turned out to be a non issue.  CPU speed has always been the biggest throttle on our modern sims but just about any contemporary system should work fine--mine does even though its cpu speed is on the low end for modern systems.

John

• Like 1

I have 16 GB, it's enough for the moment (I have +-6GB free).

My video card is a 1080ti with 11GB, that's enough for now too but with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, I sometimes reach 90-94% of the memory. So far it has not gone beyond that. Overall, I've never had a memory problem (Ram or Vram) with this configuration.

Richard

Edited by DrumsArt
  • Like 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

One other thing comes to mind. The more memory slots you populate on your MB the more work the CPU memory controller has to do which will eat into your thermal overhead for Over Clocking purposes so if you want 32GB then 2x16 is better than 4X8

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I haven't need more than 16GB RAM "yet" … BUT the more important aspect of P3D is to have MORE than 8GB VRAM if you want to bask in it's splendor … 11GB (is enough for now and future).  FSL Concorde will not tax your VRAM or RAM … as I understand it the Concorde will not be as complex as the FSL A3xx series so it'll probably have a small memory foot print.

Cheers, Rob.

As someone who hammers P3D this is encouraging news. I'm going for the 2080Ti so 11Gb should be a great help.

I agree that FSL Concorde will not be as heavy as the Airbus even after they improve the graphics side of things that were compromised for a 32-bit app. I also fly the Carenado PC-12 and Xtreme Solutions Learjet 25 but neither of those are memory munchers.

Looking at the votes cast so far I'm rethinking my plans.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Avidean said:

One other thing comes to mind. The more memory slots you populate on your MB the more cork the CPU memory controller has to do which will eat into your thermal overhead for Over Clocking purposes so if you want 32GB then 2x16 is better than 4X8

Yes, I agree. I'm planning on two modules. Easier to overclock too apparently.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It was always down to whether FSL would produce a 64-bit version of Concorde. They are working on it now so I want to be ready when it comes out. Plus selling my existing PC for a reasonable sum helps towards the cost of the new one.

I’m going for the 2080Ti so 11Gb should be enough.

Or opting for a good Gigabyte/MSI 1080Ti for 50% of the price... 

• Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Just now, Egbert Drenth said:

Or opting for a good Gigabyte/MSI 1080Ti for 50% of the price... 

But if L-M introduce ray tracing I'll be kicking myself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather