Sign in to follow this  
idude

FSX to P3D: How to?

Right now I'm contemplating to finally step up my sim, can't do it with my present computer and I'm planning on building one myself.  I know that the CPU and Video card are going to be the most important items.  I would like to stay around the $2500.00 budget but these two items can kill this target.  Can anyone give me some ideas in term of video cards, CPU and perhaps motherboard?

Hi...

Just finished ordering the parts for my new build in that price range - that I started last year at this time and stalled when the Bitcoin Miners drove up the prices of video cards... I just ordered a GTX1070 Ti

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076S4RH6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- as I can't get my finger to push the "add to cart" button on a video card over $500... As per my research - the 1070 Ti was rated nearly as good and closer to a 1080 than a 1070... It will have to do...

I don't use 4K or VR...

Since I bought the processor and mobo last year - still gathering dust in unopened boxes - it's 7700K based and Noctua cooled... The system it is replacing is a 2700K@4.7Ghz with a GTX970 that has served me well for many years - and still runs P3D with all the usual suspects - surprisingly well...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I see that there are a few brands using that chip, GTX 1070Ti, does it matter which brand you choose?  I see I can save a few bucks with a different brand!  Thinking also of getting two drives, a 256gig SDD for the OS, and one TB Hard Drive for the FS.

10 minutes ago, idude said:

I see that there are a few brands using that chip, GTX 1070Ti, does it matter which brand you choose?  I see I can save a few bucks with a different brand!  Thinking also of getting two drives, a 256gig SDD for the OS, and one TB Hard Drive for the FS.

Hi...

Honestly - the chipset is Nvidia's so as long as the manufacturer can put together a decent card - any brand should be fine... I've used EVGA stuff in the past and most of us are just a creatures of habit...

I'm also skeptical on how much gain can be provided by the factory - Super Clocked - Over Clocked - whatever - over the base model video card - that we pay extra for...

I'm sure someone with more expertise than I can explain it better...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

It would be useful to know what screen resolution you intend to use.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I sure would like to get the highest possible as long as I can stay close to $2500.00 (1950 British Pounds).  Going 4K is not a priority though!

Edited by idude