Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

Prepar3d stuck on splash screen

Hello,

Last night I purchased and installed Imaginesim WSSS. It all went fine, and when I launched P3D v4.3, it asked to enable the airport, which I did. 

Since then P3D refuses to load past the splash screen on launch. No HDD activity or anything from what I can see. I've tried deleting that particular addon.xml, repairing the P3D client, and even reinstalling the client, but it is still stuck at the splash screen. I've tried to wait for atleast 30 mins to see if there is any change.

Is there anything else I can try before reinstalling it ?

Cheers 

9W

Edited by ninerwhiskey9W

Hello,

try removing the new product from the scenery library.

Edited by nolonger

Ive had a similar problem. I determined it was due to non-contiguous or duplicated scenery layer numbers in scenery.cfg

The issue is made worse if you have addon.xml entries that you want to keep in a particular order for some reason.  You are currently unable to achieve this in P3D and the app gets its knickers in a twist and locks up.

Quite why LM have been singularly unable to implement a robust and effective scenery/addon interface throughout v3.x/4.x is incomprehensible.

Use LorbySI's addon manager to organise your scenery addons and you'll find P3D gets much less grumpy about starting up!

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

17 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Ive had a similar problem. I determined it was due to non-contiguous or duplicated scenery layer numbers in scenery.cfg

The issue is made worse if you have addon.xml entries that you want to keep in a particular order for some reason.  You are currently unable to achieve this in P3D and the app gets its knickers in a twist and locks up.

Quite why LM have been singularly unable to implement a robust and effective scenery/addon interface throughout v3.x/4.x is incomprehensible.

Use LorbySI's addon manager to organise your scenery addons and you'll find P3D gets much less grumpy about starting up!

I do use Lorby's AM to organise my addon.xml entries. I removed all the addon.xml entries, sceneryindex files, and ran the deletegenerated files command. Still looking at the splash screen for the last 20 mins.

I'm considering reinstalling it at this point. Question is, if I leave the Pmdg planes as is, will they be okay to go when I reinstall, or do I have to reinstall them again ?

Should be, Ive re installed and had no problem with the NGX but thats all I own.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi,

this is usually a sign of a broken scenery path somewhere. P3D 4.x has developed the habit of getting stuck when creating the scenery index if there are scenery paths either pointing nowhere or referencing an empty folder. The latest P4AO versions will show those in violet color, make sure to disable every entry of this kind (disabling is enough, you don't have to remove them).

OTOH, maybe the new scenery put something into the default simulator folder that the sim just can't digest. Running the uninstall-reinstall cycle will not change that, because the P3D uninstaller only removes the files that belong to default P3D. If there is something else in any P3D folder, it will just stay there. This makes sure that your addon aircraft will remain untouched - but it keeps a potentially broken file alive too. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hi,

this is usually a sign of a broken scenery path somewhere. P3D 4.x has developed the habit of getting stuck when creating the scenery index if there are scenery paths either pointing nowhere or referencing an empty folder. The latest P4AO versions will show those in violet color, make sure to disable every entry of this kind (disabling is enough, you don't have to remove them).

OTOH, maybe the new scenery put something into the default simulator folder that the sim just can't digest. Running the uninstall-reinstall cycle will not change that, because the P3D uninstaller only removes the files that belong to default P3D. If there is something else in any P3D folder, it will just stay there. This makes sure that your addon aircraft will remain untouched - but it keeps a potentially broken file alive too. 

Best regards

So I just finished installing the sim, and it loads and flies correctly with the default stuff. Can I add the addon.xml files back to the P3D Addon Folder as they were last working ? Or one by one from the start ?

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Should be, Ive re installed and had no problem with the NGX but thats all I own.

Same here. Loaded it up and looked to be okay.

1 hour ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

So I just finished installing the sim, and it loads and flies correctly with the default stuff. Can I add the addon.xml files back to the P3D Addon Folder as they were last working ? Or one by one from the start ?

Sure, that is the general idea of the XML files. Providing of course that the developer knew how to use them properly. Eventually you will find the one that was blocking the sim. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI

44 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Sure, that is the general idea of the XML files. Providing of course that the developer knew how to use them properly. Eventually you will find the one that was blocking the sim. 

Best regards

Heh, might was well give it a go. So I see P4AO now asks whether or not to clear the scenery indexes everytime I close it. Would you recommend doing this whenever a new scenery is added ?

2 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Heh, might was well give it a go. So I see P4AO now asks whether or not to clear the scenery indexes everytime I close it. Would you recommend doing this whenever a new scenery is added ?

You can change that behavior on the "Tools" tab, then it won't ask. 

Not sure if it is even necessary to do that every time, I just thought that it would be a good idea (the sim does the same when you add or remove scenery in the dialog)

Best regards

LORBY-SI