Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Do you intend to stay on P3Dv4.3 for a while?

20 hours ago, Simicro said:

How about you? If you have 4.3 are you happy with it and do you intend to stick with it for a while?

Yes I'm quite happy. 

Although I do have a PC that costed a fortune (not really) I'm still happy. 

I can understand that people with low end PCs will have better performance in XP11 because it's overall better.

However, I think I'll still stay with the P3D franchise.

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

11 hours ago, DJJose said:

I'm hoping that LM has decided to at least fix some issues with v4 before moving on to v5. Heck, some devs have not been able to put out updates to make their airports compatible with v4. There no rush, but LM is in business to make $$$ so we could see info on v5 by the end of the year. I hope NOT!

But is it not possible that V5 will be that version that fixes the issues and adds extra features? Could be totally worth the $$$. 🤑

13 hours ago, Simicro said:

Because I'm happy with the current version and don't want to go into the hassle of updating manually. Plus the risk of addons not being compatible, etc.

So it was absolutely no hassle getting from wherever you started to v 4.3? Surly 4.3 is not your first FSX/P3D based flight sim.

For decades we have dealt with new versions of MSFS; it is a totally "natural" process of growth, not risk, just change. My FS4 add-ons don't work in FS2000, that's a good thing!😀

11 hours ago, DJJose said:

I'm so disappointed with XP 11, it makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about the money and time that I wasted on that platform.

I'm happy for any simmer that has found value and enjoyment with XP. I have not been so fortunate.

Hi!  I'm keen to understand more about why you didn't like XP 11.  Simply because I'm keen on the different perspective.

I moved across to XP11 after giving it a good go and finding so much is free and built-in.  Take camera angles for instance - you need to buy ChasePlane on P3D but it's built in to XP11.  Take replay mode - you have to buy ChasePlane but it's built in to XP11 and is much better than ChasePlane.  There's now a PMDG quality free Boeing 737.  You can use Ortho4XP.  Orbx have now released UK South and it's incredible.  Oh yes, talking of that, I can fly over the very densely populated London scenery and land at EGLL without any issue.  I can't do that on P3D without significantly decreasing settings.  And let's not forget lighting - every light in XP11 is real, not a texture.  I know P3D has dynamic lighting but it always killed my performance.

Please understand that this is not me 'evangelising' per se, simply me pointing out what I think objectively makes XP11 a good platform.  As I say, I'm keen to hear your perspective.

Edited by adyfoot
  • Like 3

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

26 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

There's now a PMDG quality free Boeing 737.

The exaggeration of the century! 🤢🤮

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Over the past couple days, I have repeatedly swapped between X-Plane 11 and P3D V4.3, and really reflecting what sim to stick to.  I guess if I had more hard-drive space, I'd probably just run both.  But it's been difficult.  X-Plane as a platform is brilliant and you can accomplish so much at a low cost.  Adyfoot's points are all pretty spot on, and while the Zibo 737 still actually isn't as good as the PMDG, it's still pretty darn good.  

I am currently settled with P3D V4.3 because it's the only sim where I can run the PMDG 777, suffer a V1 cut, and fly according to the procedures without a sim-related anomaly occurring.  The A2A aircraft are also excellent.  But beyond that, the sim feels dated and I feel as though more people are leaving the platform behind for X-Plane.  To get P3D up to spec, I need to update the nav databases manually; I need to find updated afcads for airports that haven't be updated for the past decade; I need orbx global to keep my textures from looking like 2007; texture packs like EnvTex to at least make my runways look nicer; activesky just to get weather; tomato shade just so I can have some semblance of PBR; and chasecam just so I can have a smooth VC experience.  I don't even know why we don't have anything similar to the free AviTab VC tablet on x-plane after all these years, and it bugs me a little.

I intend to stay on P3D 4.3 and the franchise a little longer, because the addons here are still for the most part excellent.  But I think once i get the crates I want in X-Plane, and activesky, I will be retiring this ole esp platform for good.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pracines said:

So it was absolutely no hassle getting from wherever you started to v 4.3? Surly 4.3 is not your first FSX/P3D based flight sim.

For decades we have dealt with new versions of MSFS; it is a totally "natural" process of growth, not risk, just change. My FS4 add-ons don't work in FS2000, that's a good thing!😀

It was indeed. That is why, being on FSX I skipped P3Dv1,2,3 and landed directly on v4.

I do not mean to stay on P3Dv4.3 and freeze forever.

Please note that the title says "... for a while".

- TONY -

12 hours ago, adyfoot said:

Hi!  I'm keen to understand more about why you didn't like XP 11.  Simply because I'm keen on the different perspective.

So many reasons, let me count the ways.

From the top of my head,

1) I bought my copy of XP11 digitally when it was released to support the platform. I now need an internet connection to run it. What a joke!

2) On my computer, XP 11 takes a long time to load (even with default textures.) I tried FL ortho and it took forever to load. Even with ortho I still noticed blurry textures and many times the sim just CTD.

3) Still today, NO default seasonal variations.

4) In the latest version, I noticed that the textures did not extend to the horizon. What happened there?

5) The GA planes I sim with (payware) do not behave realistically at all. This has been a problem since XP10. Even though most say that XP 11 FDs are more realistic than P3D, I have not had that experience with my system.

6) Sounds are absolutely awful!

7) Aircraft ground traction is unrealistic on my system!

😎 The weather needs to be revamped! I experienced abrupt weather changes, ugly poor performing clouds, and unrealistic wind shifts. Just bad!

9) AI traffic needs improvement.

10) ATC needs improvement.

The other disconcerting thing about the XP 11 platform is that downloading free addons from the xp dot org forum was time consuming. The site is slow. Plus, the best addons are sold by a particular seller that I have no interest in buying from them again.

Those are primary reasons XP 11 is NOT the sim that I would recommend to my students or to anyone who asks me on social media.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Before this thread gets locked, I just want to add that I have been playing Red Dead Redemption II  (RDR2 for short) and both its gameplay and graphics make all flight sims look like the classic video game pong. RDR2 is a US wild west simulation set in the late 19th century so alas, no powered aircraft, like its Take Two games sibling GTA5.

• Like 1

Still on P3D version 3.4  Fly it every day, and it works every time, no issues, no problem's. Will wait and see what version 5 offers, and if I can afford a new PC to run it. Zero interest in X Plane which I have tried many times. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

With all former versions I've tried to stay with them for longer time which finally turned out to be just some days. I guess defering version 4.4 or 5.0 will not take much longer for me.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

10 hours ago, Rocket_Bird said:

I need to update the nav databases manually;

Not totally sure what you mean by manually (aero.sors?), but, (wasn't sure if you knew) FSAerodata does it automatically. You would have to have a Navigraph subscription as well, but, there is no great harm in that; both reasonably priced.

Please disregard if you knew this already.:smile:  

I use XP11 for

• narrowbody (737/A320)
  • regional/props
  • helos
  • GA
  • night lighting
  • ortho scenery
  • PBR

I use P3D4 for:

• PMDG widebodies
  • QW 787
  • ORBX landclass
  • Asian mega airport hubs
  • awesome shaders
  • Active sky
  • UT live

The biggest weakness of both these sims is not extracting maximum out of CPU and being hard on performance.. both the sims are very close in terms of overall appeal, but the one that solves the CPU bottleneck and offers better fluidity will come out the winner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I will definitely update right away on any 4.x update.  The big question is what to do about P3D v5 if and when it comes out.  It all depends on the features, hardware required and what happens with addons.  After re-purchasing all of the PMDG (and other) products from FSX to P3D, I am not sure I am willing to buy them again for v5.  Now of course nobody knows if addon developers will charge for v5, how much, etc.  It all goes into the mix of what to do.  My personal hope is that the updated addon software required for v5 is somewhat minor and that most developers will just charge a reasonable upgrade fee...which is totally fine with me, they should be compensated for their time.

• Like 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Since the 2000's I've never seen XP so "powerful", I mean attracting FSX/P3D users. I'll give it a try when I get a new SSD next year. I heard that default scenery XP is better than FSX/P3D. What about the default planes? Are they good, at least for GA AC (eg the Baron often seen in YouTube videos) or we must go payware to have quality planes?

- TONY -