Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

Correct Go Around Procedure

Hi Everyone

Can someone advise what the correct procedure is to perform a go around in the B737?  If you can advise that would be awesome?

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Nose up, thrust up, gear up, flaps up - follow missed approach procedure on chart. Simplified, obviously. I'm sure someone more qualified will give you a more detailed explanation.

Edited by andreh

Ok.

1. Call " Go around, Flap 15".

2. Press TOGA button, physically push the thrust levers forward.

3. TOGA should give 15' pitch up, wings level. Fly to this and after 400ft, the aircraft will transition to heading hold and maintain a speed in pitch, or if LNAV was armed follow the missed approach procedure. Once stable, you can select autopilot.

4. At Acceleration altitude, just select Flap 5 and watch the target speed re-schedule. Let flaps drive the target speed till clean.

5. Once clean you can select VNAV and it will climb to MA.

Note at low platforms the aircraft may go to ALT AQQ before you are clean. The Speed window will open and you MUST manually wind speed up to the UP mark.

That should do it.

Things to plan for are that the Missed Approach is in the FMC ready. This will cause LNAV to show in white on the FMA as an armed mode.

Once stead, you can select and execute a second approach. Make sure speeds are checked and nothing changed on briefing. 

If it's weather related. Look for your alternate and plan accordingly. The trick is not to be at minimum fuel at this point. Time is a luxury to allow you to plan properly. Diversion checklists, notify ground agents, etc. Even planning for a Low Vis autoland if conditions have deteriorated causing the go around.

Hope that helps. Remember, in 737 land we never say go-around. it's always "Go Around Flap 15" unless you are OEI. Then it's GO Around Flap 1"..... 

• Like 7

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

17 hours ago, barramundilure said:

Hi Everyone

Can someone advise what the correct procedure is to perform a go around in the B737?  If you can advise that would be awesome?

I would definitely recommend you add this guy to your YouTube sub. 

• Upvote 1

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Getting the hang of it with some practice.

Cheers

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I thought I read on here a discussion about a discrepancy or oddity or something with the NGX as it relates to the TOGA.

The result of this discussion resulted in my procedure including the following:

instead of clicking the A/T ARM switch off when switching to "manual" approach, select the SPEED to off (while the A/T switch still on).

This way when you press TO/GA the SPEED kicks back on and the throttles automatically go to the proper setting. Everything else is still manual (pitch up and all that), but at least the throttles are taken care of.

I find it very challenging to fly the plane manually along the published missed approach with all the settings and flight dynamics continuously changing what with the gear coming up, the flaps coming up and all that. If you're gonna abort its much easier if you do it before you disconnect over to manual... lol. 

40 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I find it very challenging to fly the plane manually along the published missed approach with all the settings and flight dynamics continuously changing what with the gear coming up, the flaps coming up and all that. If you're gonna abort its much easier if you do it before you disconnect over to manual... lol. 

Can you not re-engage the autopilot in the 737 on a go around? On the 744 as soon as you are above 250ft AGL there's no problem.

I've heard it said that an all engines operating go around is the most commonly screwed-up manoeuvre in real life - hardly ever practiced (most sim time is spent going around with an engine out!) and in most commercial jets with a GA at typical landing weights you're putting a lot of thrust on a very light aeroplane which means things can happen very quickly.

Pre-briefing and rehearsing the manoeuvre is key as always.

Interestingly, I am aware of a few airlines in the UK whose SOP is now to go all the way up to the missed approach altitude in TOGA, so all you do is raise the gear once you have a positive rate and select a roll mode above 400ft AGL. You then sit on your hands and wait for the the missed approach altitude to be captured before selecting VNAV (or FLCH then SPD), speed intervening to a convenient speed, then cleaning up.

The reason is that someone realised you might not make the minimum required climb gradients (particularly with an engine out or other performance limited scenario) if you stop to accelerate halfway through!

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

Can you not re-engage the autopilot in the 737 on a go around? On the 744 as soon as you are above 250ft AGL there's no problem.

You can but typically it's best to wait until the flaps are up before engaging the autopilot on a go-around.  During a two engine go-around the FMC will automatically move the speed bug up according to your flap setting.  Engaging either autopilot cancels the auto bug up function requiring you to manually set the speed bug.  It's not really a big deal but it goes smoother if you wait until you are at flaps up to engage the autopilot thus letting the FMC do it's thing with the speed bug.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:09 PM, MarkJHarris said:

unless you are OEI

= One engine inop?

On 10/28/2018 at 2:09 PM, MarkJHarris said:

Things to plan for are that the Missed Approach is in the FMC ready. This will cause LNAV to show in white on the FMA as an armed mode.

In the NGX I can never arm LNAV on final for a potential GA. Am I doing something wrong or is this an airline-specific option that some airlines don't pick?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

8 hours ago, threegreen said:

In the NGX I can never arm LNAV on final for a potential GA. Am I doing something wrong or is this an airline-specific option that some airlines don't pick?

I think it's an option in real life, probably related to firmware version.  Our fleet had it when I started but I think it was relatively new (Spin would know)... Maybe there's an option for it in the PMDG options menus in the FMC? I don't know. 

I will say this is an area that the NGX doesn't perform well for me.  I consistently see it dropping a selected lateral mode during a go around.  Whether I start out in LNAV at TOGA (off a non precision approach) or select LNAV at 500ft, the lateral mode usually degrades to either HDG SEL or ROL at some point during the acceleration / clean up.  Dunno, maybe it's something buggy on my system. 

Edited by Stearmandriver

Andrew Crowley

I think there‘s an „LNAV on go around“ option interchangable with wings level...

ugh... not the dreaded "Speed Off!" Some in our Company do this, and it winds me up no end. 

Basically Speed Off, to the best of my knowledge, the selecting off of the Autothrottle on the MCP by pressing the speed button, is an "unintended consequence" of the design of the MCP. There's no official Boeing procedure for it, it's not taught by Boeing and discouraged. It came into being in my company because they didn't really have anything to do with Boeing for their old very second hand fleet of -300s. It's only really since the NGs arrived that it's starting to die out. 

I don't like it because it's not consistent. There's nothing in the FCOM, and nothing to say different aircraft software and block points won't behave differently.

I wouldn't use it for that reason. I cannot trust it to do anything other than what is just hearsay from others. 

Yes, selecting autopilot back in does open the speed window. Leaving it till capture or cleaned up is fine. My company used to do dual channel approaches as standard too. Now it's migrated to single channel, and recently we've moved to Captain flown Autolands.

The Tutorial Video is definitely a RyanAir guy. " Match speeds" is the giveaway... I don't know why he didn't arm EXIT on the hold page rather than updating the FMC route later on either? No brainer to me...

Edited by MarkJHarris

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

19 minutes ago, MarkJHarris said:

The Tutorial Video is definitely a RyanAir guy. " Match speeds" is the giveaway... I don't know why he didn't arm EXIT on the hold page rather than updating the FMC route later on either? No brainer to me...

In his tutorial, he mentioned that he’d forgotten to arm EXIT, and had to update FMC to get sensible information.  

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

... Or you could just wait to reconnect the autopilot until cleaned up and stable, like Joe says.  The 737 is actually a pretty easy plane to fly. What's the rush to get the automation connected, screw with MCP buttons, fight the FMC speed programming etc.? I think Joe's right; easier to just fly the darn thing until you're cleaned up in level change and literally all you have to do is press one CMD button. 

Andrew Crowley