Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

Correct Go Around Procedure

5 hours ago, trisho0 said:

So, this is something we can adjust in the FMC right?

I'm not sure if the NGX has that modelled and I'm not near my FS PC right now so can't check. If it's modelled, though, that'd be an amazing level of detail (which is the case anyway).

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

9 hours ago, MarkJHarris said:

When a 737 is delivered new, the FMC has a fuel factor applied in one of the PERF pages to adjust it's economy and fuel burn performance. Invariably, it's 0.0.

I don't see that from FMC or maybe it has different name on it. I have seen Perf/Econ in other PMDG planes but not in NGX.

Patricio Valdes

I currently don't have access to the NGX. Just the real birds....

• Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 11/21/2018 at 9:22 PM, MarkJHarris said:

Just the real birds....

Too bad, they probably aren't even study-level and lack overall realism... Not worth my money!

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 11/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, threegreen said:

Too bad, they probably aren't even study-level and lack overall realism... Not worth my money!

love it. My birds are made in Witchita BTW. Then shipped to Renton where they get all the bits put on, then flown to Boeing Field where they get painted.  Definitely not as much fun as Study Level Simulators. Unless you like 2 Stag parties and a Hen party plus a dozen screaming kids in your lounge while you play on your sim....

Edited by MarkJHarris
  • Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

22 hours ago, MarkJHarris said:

love it. My birds are made in Witchita BTW. Then shipped to Renton where they get all the bits put on, then flown to Boeing Field where they get painted.  Definitely not as much fun as Study Level Simulators. Unless you like 2 Stag parties and a Hen party plus a dozen screaming kids in your lounge while you play on your sim....

I was joking about the real birds not being as realistic as sim addons because I'd rather fly a real one than just my sim.

Edited by threegreen

I know! I know.... My last sentence is the bit that is meant to let you know it's not necessarily better flying a real one. Once, maybe, but day to day the low life in the back do make it tiring and less enjoyable. Some passengers are lovely, probably most, but when you get trouble, you really do wish you could be somewhere else....

• Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

On 11/25/2018 at 5:07 PM, MarkJHarris said:

I know! I know.... My last sentence is the bit that is meant to let you know it's not necessarily better flying a real one. Once, maybe, but day to day the low life in the back do make it tiring and less enjoyable. Some passengers are lovely, probably most, but when you get trouble, you really do wish you could be somewhere else....

I'm thinking the joy of flying would outdo the 'joy' of dealing with those in the back though? I'm curious now, is it just complaints or more than that?

Probably more a mid life crisis I'd think. I miss the hand flying and really run my Sim rig just to get the kicks I used to. Now flying DCS mostly, far more fun....

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

5 hours ago, MarkJHarris said:

Probably more a mid life crisis I'd think. I miss the hand flying and really run my Sim rig just to get the kicks I used to. Now flying DCS mostly, far more fun....

Enjoy the sim and I'm sure you'll get back the kicks IRL 🙂

I have a follow up question on manual flying. Let's say you do a visual approach, flight director switches are OFF because you're hand flying.

What if you have to do a G/A in this configuration? You won't get any guidance on pitch from the flight directors so what speed should you maintain up to acceleration altitude? I can't find anything in the FCTM nor FCOM about this particular situation.

So, in my mind it will be set thrust, flaps 15, pitch for 15 deg nose up attitude, but after that? VREF + 15 to 25 like for TNGs?

1 hour ago, johnor999 said:

I have a follow up question on manual flying. Let's say you do a visual approach, flight director switches are OFF because you're hand flying.

What if you have to do a G/A in this configuration? You won't get any guidance on pitch from the flight directors so what speed should you maintain up to acceleration altitude? I can't find anything in the FCTM nor FCOM about this particular situation.

So, in my mind it will be set thrust, flaps 15, pitch for 15 deg nose up attitude, but after that? VREF + 15 to 25 like for TNGs?

You recycle the F/D's. After turning them off turn both on again. This will cancel the active A/P modes on the FMA. You will only have the green F/D indication on the PFD and no guidance since no A/P modes are active. In case you go around, press the TO/GA switches on the throttles even if A/T is turned off and the F/D will give full guidance for the G/A procedure, including pitch/speed.

Also, read the earlier posts in this thread.

Edited by threegreen

2 minutes ago, threegreen said:

You recycle the F/D's. After turning them off turn both on again. This will cancel the active A/P modes on the FMA. You will only have the green F/D indication on the PFD and no guidance since no A/P modes are active. In case you go around, press the TO/GA switches on the throttles even if A/T is turned off and the F/D will give full guidance for the G/A procedure, including pitch/speed.

Also, read the earlier posts in this thread.

Yes but that's not the same as keeping them completely OFF all the way to G/A. If you simply recycle the FD switches, then no problem - just follow FD instructions. But if FD is OFF (which I've seen on a cockpit video), then what? I wasn't able to find anything in the previous posts to answer this.

33 minutes ago, johnor999 said:

Yes but that's not the same as keeping them completely OFF all the way to G/A. If you simply recycle the FD switches, then no problem - just follow FD instructions. But if FD is OFF (which I've seen on a cockpit video), then what? I wasn't able to find anything in the previous posts to answer this.

If you want to do a fully manual go around you set thrust to about 85% N1, pitch around 15 deg, flaps to 15, gear up once a positive rate of climb has been established. Set speed to the clean maneuvering speed (UP bug) and retract flaps on schedule. Fly the M/A procedure.

That should be it, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, threegreen said:

If you want to do a fully manual go around you set thrust to about 85% N1, pitch around 15 deg, flaps to 15, gear up once a positive rate of climb has been established. Set speed to the clean maneuvering speed (UP bug) and retract flaps on schedule. Fly the M/A procedure.

That should be it, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

But you shouldn't accelerate below the acceleration altitude, so what do you do before that? What speed do you pitch for below acceleration altitude? 85% N1 with a pitch around 15 deg on an aircraft with a heavy load might lead to very low airspeeds if you plan on keeping that pitch all the way up to acceleration altitude.