Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

Correct Go Around Procedure

So... you pitch down as necessary to maintain the airspeed you want?  Why would you need a flight director for that? 

Andrew Crowley

2 hours ago, johnor999 said:

But you shouldn't accelerate below the acceleration altitude, so what do you do before that? What speed do you pitch for below acceleration altitude? 85% N1 with a pitch around 15 deg on an aircraft with a heavy load might lead to very low airspeeds if you plan on keeping that pitch all the way up to acceleration altitude.

I don't think there is a specific speed to aim for. When in G/A config just keep the speed you're at until accel height and then go for clean maneuvering speed. The ~15 deg pitch is what you go for when you're at a normal landing weight. If you're really heavy for some reason, pitch down as necessary to keep speed, like Andrew said.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

It's not difficult. As said, just pitch smoothly up to about 15' and at the same time push the thrust levers up past vertical. Call "Go around- Flap15". At a positive rate call for gear up. Now fly REF+5 speed which is already bugged. If you take a look during the approach, you'll see the 15 marked speed is about this. It's more or less the V2 speed so a little faster but no less and you'll be fine. If you give it about 85% you should find the trim is about where it was for a steady F30 VREF+5 with about 60% set. Funny that... These designers know a trick or two...

In the real world, we do generally ask for Flight Directors to be "recycled". That's the SOP call. 

Don't over control or be aggressive in either power or pitch and all will be nice and relaxed.

• Like 3

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

1 hour ago, MarkJHarris said:

It's not difficult. As said, just pitch smoothly up to about 15' and at the same time push the thrust levers up past vertical. Call "Go around- Flap15". At a positive rate call for gear up. Now fly REF+5 speed which is already bugged. If you take a look during the approach, you'll see the 15 marked speed is about this. It's more or less the V2 speed so a little faster but no less and you'll be fine. If you give it about 85% you should find the trim is about where it was for a steady F30 VREF+5 with about 60% set. Funny that... These designers know a trick or two...

In the real world, we do generally ask for Flight Directors to be "recycled". That's the SOP call. 

Don't over control or be aggressive in either power or pitch and all will be nice and relaxed.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! 😊

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, MarkJHarris said:

What a clear, concise, and smart answer to the original question.

My apology it took three pages to get to it...

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 12/7/2018 at 9:48 AM, johnor999 said:

I have a follow up question on manual flying. Let's say you do a visual approach, flight director switches are OFF because you're hand flying.

What if you have to do a G/A in this configuration? You won't get any guidance on pitch from the flight directors so what speed should you maintain up to acceleration altitude? I can't find anything in the FCTM nor FCOM about this particular situation.

So, in my mind it will be set thrust, flaps 15, pitch for 15 deg nose up attitude, but after that? VREF + 15 to 25 like for TNGs?

Mash the TOGA button and FD's will come up with the FD switches off. Works on the take off too. Also gives you max TOGA thrust if you used a de-rate/assumed temp.

Most of my go-arounds have been manually flown due to the fact that I primarily fly the 400 and the AP disconnects unless doing an autoland on the ILS CATII. I also like to hand fly from intercept in good weather so I manually set thrust and throw the AT back on around 400' at the same time we arm LNAV or HDG for the missed. Half our fleet go into HDG the other half go into GA mode. Slowly replacing the old 400's for 800's with all the same equipment. Can't wait for complete fleet continuity. 

Edited by MeatServo
speeelong and gramerrr

10 hours ago, MeatServo said:

Can't wait for complete fleet continuity. 

The day the -400 leaves is the day you'll get manuals for the MAX. 😉

• Like 1

Matt Cee

On 1/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, Spin737 said:

The day the -400 leaves is the day you'll get manuals for the MAX. 😉

NG's are interm. We have a deal to leaseback to Boeing for the MAX in 5 years.