Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Can someone explain foreign credit-card purchases to me

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello all http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/042.gifI only recently got myself my first ever credit card. I live in the UK and used it on Amazon.co.uk to get some stuff.But now I want to get FSPanel Studio and it is on an American site and it is charging in dollars.I am unsure of what hidden costs (if any) are incurred when you buy from UK->USA? The price is $24.99, will I have to pay something on top of that?Silly questions I know but I am a total and utter rookie at this credit-card transaction thing...well international ones at least!Thanks for any advice :)

Guest jahamilton

Don't worry. As far as the $ amount is concerned this willshow up in Sterling on your U.K. bill, most credit cardcompanies give you very "fair" exchange rates.Shipping costs would be extra of course but I suppose thatyou'll do a direct download.Cheers, JAH - Los Angeles.

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks jahamilton! Thats good to know :)

In fact all creditcard companies worth their name will charge you the official exchange rate as valid at time of purchase at the world money market (so in your case probably the London exchange), NOT the amount your bank would charge you to buy dollars.There's also no "exchange fee" involved.

Guest DemolitionMan

As well as what's been said up until now, you can see what you'll be charged in pounds with this handy tool: http:///www.XE.com It's a currency converter, and you can see at a glance what you'll be paying in pounds.Whenever I buy anything online with my credit card, I always look to see what the amount will be in Euros. And it's always within a few cents of this when I get the bill. Hope this helps, and have fun with FSPanel studio, it's a great program!BestGrahame (EDHL)

Guest Staggerwing

Just wanted to add, in case someone can use the info using a search later...My U.S. bank (like many or most?) will charge me $15 USD just to cash an international check so your concerns about additional charges that do not apply to credit cards CAN apply to checks. Unless of course the check is drawn on a bank that's also in the States.

Guest ThrottleUp

--------------------------------------------------There's also no "exchange fee" involved.--------------------------------------------------Oh good...I was kinda wondering about that!--------------------------------------------------Hope this helps, and have fun with FSPanel studio, it's a great program!--------------------------------------------------Thanx DemolitionMan! Yea I cant wait to get hold of it!Im tired of modifying/creating panels the hard way-messing with the panel.cfg and constantly reloading the sim to see the result! (Yes...I was doing that lol). XE.com is a cool site, I put it in my fav places.Staggerwing - thats interesting about the charge on checks, learn something everyday!Thank you all very much for the friendly advice :) FSPanel Studio....come to ThrottleUp http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1183.gif

oh yes, checks carry massive charges.Here you pay a charge to cash it PLUS currency conversion charges if it's made out in a different currency.Few years ago I got a check for something like 50 pounds, cost me 25 Euro to cash.

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------------how about a screen shot devin? Of your panel n all..-----------------------------------------------------Hee hee...its nothing original at all! I just used the HSI from the default King Air and an altimeter from one of the add-on panels (forgot which one though)!Im working on what Im calling a "Swiss Army Knife" panel on which I want to jam *everything* (except the GPS which will remain a pop-up). Its gonna be a simple affair and will be FS4-style...http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/pictures/meigs-fs4a.gif...just a simple rectangular bitmap with everything lined up! No more pressing SHIFT+number key looking for the radio stack popup etc.Im fed up of adding lines to the panel.cfg of the planes I fly to place feautres in them. This one will have them all at one go!It wont be realistic at all but I have a small screen so it will be good to have that space of the outer world back!