Sign in to follow this  
gstreet

Trackir and PMDG

I am looking into getting trackir 5 and mainly fly PMDG birds so wanted to ask here if anyone has any experience using it with PMDG and if it’s worth it. So any thoughts from those who have used it would be incredibly helpful. 

Thanks

Do you already use a camera addon like chaseplane if so then set up is a lot easier if not I would recommend chaseplane over ezca because of features and being able to search for community made views makes it easier to get started.

3 hours ago, gstreet said:

I am looking into getting trackir 5 and mainly fly PMDG birds so wanted to ask here if anyone has any experience using it with PMDG and if it’s worth it. So any thoughts from those who have used it would be incredibly helpful. 

Thanks

Hi gstreet!

I use TrackIR since a long time with all sort of flight sim like IL2, old and new, LockOn, old and new, FSX and P3D, all V. I flight PMDG DC6, MD11, 777, and yes I like TrackIR very much. I never experience odd behavior with TrackIR flying any type of airplanes, and of course PMDG!

Regards

Pat 

Edited by Pat Mussotte
  • Like 1

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

I've been using TrackIR for around 13 years and have had no problems with it, For me it's a must have.

• Like 3

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Awesome thanks to all for the replies! Guess I’m gonna have to get it now 😆

And it works seamlessly with Chase Plane.  The two together is s must for me.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

In my humble opinion I wouldn't buy track ir again. I rarely used it and never had the enjoyment I was hoping for. Maybe it was my wrong settings, but I always got a sore neck when using it.

Now with the Rift on the other side, I can't imagine doing flightsimming ever again without it. 

So my suggestion for you would be, to invest more and go straight to vr. Of course, when you have the money available.

But when you want, I have a used trackir which I am willing to sell 😉

• Upvote 1

TrackIR, for me, works so well that when i do not have it running it feels less immersive. I have not tried VR, so perhaps that's better, but I'm not sure the technology is good enough. (I keep hearing that there are blurry screens and low framerates using VR)

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

After my second TrackClip Pro broke, I replaced it with a TrackHat clip, which is much sturdier, and works with the TrackIR sensor and software.  TrackHat can also be purchased as a complete setup but I don't have any experience with that.  I have to close the blinds of the window that's behind me because sunlight (direct or reflected) can overwhelm the TrackIR sensor and cause my viewpoint to change to random directions.  But I almost never fly without it. It really improved the immersion for me.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

I tried very hard to use TrackIR, several years ago, for me it was good in VFR conditions flying small airplanes, not with the PMDG planes in 3D cockpits, gave me a headache.

Now with VR, for take-offs, and landings, works for me.  VR, is not perfect yet, but it will get better. No problem with slow frame rates here.

Jerry Friz

6 hours ago, Pat Mussotte said:

Hi gstreet!

I use TrackIR since a long time with all sort of flight sim like IL2, old and new, LockOn, old and new, FSX and P3D, all V. I flight PMDG DC6, MD11, 777, and yes I like TrackIR very much. I never experience odd behavior with TrackIR flying any type of airplanes, and of course PMDG!

Regards

Pat 

What Pat said!  I’ve used track ir for a very long time, and absolutely no complaints!

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

Thank you guys for all the comments. I don’t have the cajones to explain an oculus rift purchase to the wife so I will start with trackir and later down the road when everyone uses vr maybe it will be more affordable. 

TrackIR + chaseplane = winning combo for me. I've been using them for years (even TrackIR + EZDOK before).
Always worked like a charm with any aircraft.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

In quality and usability VR is a game compared to TrackIR. With TIR you simply do with your head what camera addons desperately try to do with set up views. You‘ll have to train it a bit, get used to it, set it up to your liking. But then it‘s absolutely easy to use. If you have a mouse button or two left you can set it to recenter the view or to hit the „view break“ so you can easily set things in the cockpit. As said above you‘ll have to train it a bit, it‘s very different from using the hat switch. But if you have problems you can always ask the community for help.