Sign in to follow this  
gstreet

Trackir and PMDG

I sold the trackir after 5 months trying.

If you have a setup with more pc's or laptop and tablets it can be anoying because you go from screen to screen to controls and back. This can give a very moving screen.

It will move the same like you do and if you are just like me a energetic person then your cameraview inside the VC will go everywhere.

For me to much because,

the flightsim wqhd in front of me

The navigation/route/calculations/music/airport checker/fuel wqhd on the left

The paperwork on the left next to me

The charts laptop also on the left

The fmc tablet on the right

And a lot of controls on the right next to me...

So changing from unit to unit the VC never stands still and gave me a moving experience😂

Marcel van der biezen

33 minutes ago, oranjeman said:

I sold the trackir after 5 months trying.

If you have a setup with more pc's or laptop and tablets it can be anoying because you go from screen to screen to controls and back. This can give a very moving screen.

It will move the same like you do and if you are just like me a energetic person then your cameraview inside the VC will go everywhere.

For me to much because,

the flightsim wqhd in front of me

The navigation/route/calculations/music/airport checker/fuel wqhd on the left

The paperwork on the left next to me

The charts laptop also on the left

The fmc tablet on the right

And a lot of controls on the right next to me...

So changing from unit to unit the VC never stands still and gave me a moving experience😂

Therefore it has a selectable hotkey to pause the view... I use three screens too, sim on the middle screen, and my mouse 4 button pauses the view... nothing easier than that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well i guess that i didn't found this feature....

Give me a couple of years then i will try again.

I will give ezdok and chaseplane a try for now 😊

• Like 1

Marcel van der biezen

its fine for bush flying but I don't use in big jets , at 30,000feet what is there to see !

Louis Massicotte ----Alberta 

The cockpit!😁

• Like 2

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Louis,

When I used the track switch to pan around I found it extremely hard to fly a manual approch properly. All above in smaller airliners like the 737 it‘s not uncommon to fly a visual circuit (pattern in America) without any autopilot. Sure, you have the runway selected and displayed on the ND but on a visual approach like this there is no FD guidance or magenta line to follow. As the name says you have to look out to aim for the centerline. Now I found it extreme exhausting and almost impossible to hit the turn and at the same time glance at my instruments to not over- or undershoot my speed. With TIR and a little practise I found it incredibly easy to to that. I can‘t speak for Chase Plane or Ezdok (or against it) but I imagine it being a lot more „unnatural“. They are great addons for sure but I don‘t see their benefits for the actual flight. At cruise level, of course, I disable TIR too and use the pan function. And to look at the CDU or to go for a MFD button I enable it, press the button, look down to the MFD and disable it... it feels so natural managing the cockpit. Not as easy as pressing one button once but normally a pilot doesn‘t jump left and right or lies down on the pedastal to look at the OHP either 😄 

but the main advantage for me is really the precise flying. Looking right to the runway, checking your instruments, turning on the landing lights when cleared, looking to the runway, back to the instruments and so on. 

On 10/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, jfriz said:

I tried very hard to use TrackIR, several years ago, for me it was good in VFR conditions flying small airplanes, not with the PMDG planes in 3D cockpits, gave me a headache.

Same here. Even down to the headache, which I think came from muscle tension after trying to hold my head still enough to click things. 

If you're flying something that doesn't have a whole lot of on-screen buttons to click, TrackIR is great. If you have a decent HOTAS setup then you can set a button for pretty much any function you need in a simple plane like a 172, and then you don't need to worry about accurate on-screen clicking, and having the view change with your head movements is really, really cool.

But with PMDG, and having to click about eleventy-thousand things before you even get the engines started, that's a pain in the butt with the TrackIR. You're constantly wiggling your head around, lunging around and looking like a dork just to get close enough to accurately click the switch without accidentally clicking the switch right next to it. Any movement of your head gets reflected on-screen, which means when you try to click one button and you accidentally move your head slightly, suddenly your mouse is hovering over a different button and you click it by mistake.

And it doesn't help that TrackIR is limited by having only one sensor, and if you turn your head in an orientation where that sensor can't see all three of the reflective pads, the view freezes. 

So you're constantly futzing with your hat, and the sensor location, and the sensitivity, trying to find that magic combo where you can look at everything in the cockpit that you need to, without either turning your head beyond the sensor's range or turning up the sensitivity so much that the view jiggles beyond the point of usefulness. 

I also remember it working a lot better when the sensor is close to eye level, which happens when you have a small monitor. If you've upgraded to a large monitor, the sensor's probably gonna be above your head looking down at you, and that just exacerbates the problems, especially when you need to look down at the ACARS FMS in the 747. The view freezes before I have even half of it in sight unless I turn the pitch axis sensitivity way up and then I get to watch the view start vibrating.

I finally, sadly, gave up and went back to manually working the camera with the spacebar/mouse combo.

Edited by eslader