Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Sailplanes for Prepared

Are there any sailplanes compatible with PREPARED v4?

I've been away from FSX/P3D for a long time.

Incredible that Wolfgang is still in "business". Kudos!

- TONY -

14 minutes ago, sparkie66 said:

Cheater 😂

Nah, you can put the thermal visualisation on 'natural' and you'll get birds circling in thermals, which is in no way cheating because looking out for this phenomenon is something you do for real in a glider. Done it loads of times.

In fact, if you ever have a bird join you in circling a thermal, it is quite a flattering compliment to your ability to fly.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just now, Chock said:

In fact, if you ever have a bird join you in circling a thermal, it is quite a flattering compliment to your ability to fly.

Wholeheartedly agree.

No matter how much technology and awesomeness we have in our aircrafts, we won't surpass them in the gift of flight. Ever.

• Like 1

Santiago de Larminat

For anyone really into gliding and gliding sims, it's worth knowing that Condor 2 has been out for a couple of months now, and it has a ton of free sceneries for it too. Here's a picture of me at the real Camphill airfield in Derbyshire, taking the rudder lock off my aircraft as I'm about to go on a practice aerobatic flight and below that, a picture of the free photorealistic terrain of that same area in Condor 2. As you can see, it looks pretty much exactly like the real place:

uiwwJg2.jpg

BnQJN8V.png

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Nah, you can put the thermal visualisation on 'natural' and you'll get birds circling in thermals, which is in no way cheating because looking out for this phenomenon is something you do for real in a glider. Done it loads of times.

Hi Alan, when I used to hang glide, maaaaany years ago, I was once thermalling at about 4000' over the Black Mountains in Wales, when a Kite jojned me. As it circled with me, it looked across and our eyes connected, we were that close, it was absolutely awesome, and an experience I will always cherish. As a matter of interest, is it possible to purchase superior aircraft in Condor 2 from third party devs and maybe superior scenery? I know it's a serious gliding sim and the focus is on modelling etc, but it's still nice to increase the immersion factor. Also, what is the meteorological engine like compare to Cumulus x in FSX, I'm guessing pretty accurate?

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

6 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

As a matter of interest, is it possible to purchase superior aircraft in Condor 2 from third party devs?

Hi Howard,

No, that is not possible. All payware addons gliders go through the Condor developers, especially because Condor is basically a soaring competition simulator.

- TONY -

1 minute ago, Simicro said:

Hi Howard,

No, that is not possible. All payware addons gliders go through the Condor developers, especially because Condor is basically a soaring competition simulator.

Ah, it's more or less what I thought Tony. Thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Alan, when I used to hang glide, maaaaany years ago, I was once thermalling at about 4000' over the Black Mountains in Wales, when a Kite jojned me. As it circled with me, it looked across and our eyes connected, we were that close, it was absolutely awesome, and an experience I will always cherish.

Have been in thermals with birds many times but your story reminds me of the one time I made eye contact with hawk who appeared to be looking right at me from a distance shorter than my wing. I really got a the sense that it was there out of curiosity. Alas I can nolonger pass the medical to fly solo which takes the pleasure out of it for me. Trust me I know a lot of glider pilots and the whole purpose of gliding is to get as far away from them as possible. The last thing you want is one of them sitting in the back set.😜

Edited by Guest

After giving this some though, I'll second Chock's endorsement of Condor 2. I don't have it and I have only tried it once months back visiting my old Gliding club but its really just the next level of the original Condor of which I have heaps of experience.

I've always been reluctant to suggest Gliding Simulators or gliding simulation to anyone who might someday be or have the ambient to actually become a glider pilots.

Reason being gliding is considerably more dangerous than regular GA and bad habits learned in Simulators are very hard to unlearn in RL. Flying Sail Planes has a lower entry bar than powered flight and less study is required. That's how I managed to get away with it for all those years😁

It is however in some ways far superior and more skilled than powered flying. I could go on about that for a while.

The bottom line is that if you are really interested in souring Condor2 is the way to go. You will learn a far site more about gliding in Condor2 and participating in the online Condor community than you will in any other FS. Plus you get to race online but you won't be doing any winning.😁

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Alan, when I used to hang glide, maaaaany years ago, I was once thermalling at about 4000' over the Black Mountains in Wales, when a Kite jojned me. As it circled with me, it looked across and our eyes connected, we were that close, it was absolutely awesome, and an experience I will always cherish.

Did a similar thing with a seagull once, and oddly enough it too commenced at approximately fifteen hundred feet and finished at about 4,000 feet. The seagull flew over and joined me as I found a good thermal over Leicestershire and I went into a right hand turn to stay in the lift. The bird was so close to me in that thermalling turn, that had it not been for the canopy, I could have reached out and touched it. It was right next to the DV panel on the canopy and had I not been busy staying in the turn, I might have been tempted to open that panel.

Anyone who knows gliding will know that you have to keep playing around with the rudder to stay in the thermal as it bounces you around and the turn itself can sometimes be quite steep of necessity. I can recall, watching my seagull friend merely adjusting its wingtip feathers ever so slightly to stay in that same turn with me, and the thought occurred that we've got a long way to go to match the beautiful way a bird's wings work.

It's a rare experience indeed to be so close to a bird in flight for such a long time, and anyone who has experienced it will readily agree with me that - as corny as it sounds - you feel like you've made a connection when it happens, just the two of you reveling in the joy of flying on the air, no engine, just your skill making it happen. It was and remains one of the most magical experiences I've ever had, and I would not have swapped it for anything.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Did a similar thing with a seagull once

The difference between seagulls and other birds is that glider pilots look out for birds in thermals to find lift and seagulls look out for glider pilots in thermals to find lift. 🤣

Did a slightly less magical thing once in a glider too, but it's a funny story...

Years ago in the UK farmers used to be able to burn off stubble after harvesting their crops, which they are now no longer allowed to do. That is a shame for glider pilots because such fires used to be great for kicking off themals. However, knowing this to be the case, I once spotted the smoke from a big blaze in the distance and flew over to it in my glider, then cheekily thermalled over a house which was on fire. It was an old derelict empty one out in the middle of nowhere, so there was nobody in danger although it might conceivably have set fire to some nearby crops, which is probably why I saw a fire engine eventually appear in the distance over near the town of Rugby, then gradually come down a bunch of country lanes to eventually get to this house, to put the fire out all whilst I was shouting at them to let it keep on burning because it was kicking off some really good lift. 😁

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury