Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Sailplanes for Prepared

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Did a slightly less magical thing once in a glider too, but it's a funny story...

Years ago in the UK farmers used to be able to burn off stubble after harvesting their crops, which they are now no longer allowed to do. That is a shame for glider pilots because such fires used to be great for kicking off themals. However, knowing this to be the case, I once spotted the smoke from a big blaze in the distance and flew over to it in my glider, then cheekily thermalled over a house which was on fire. It was an old derelict empty one out in the middle of nowhere, so there was nobody in danger although it might conceivably have set fire to some nearby crops, which is probably why I saw a fire engine eventually appear in the distance over near the town of Rugby, then gradually come down a bunch of country lanes to eventually get to this house, to put the fire out all whilst I was shouting at them to let it keep on burning because it was kicking off some really good lift. 😁

You can do that in P3D with FireFighterX by Lorby that generates thermals over fires.

1 minute ago, glider1 said:

You can do that in P3D with FireFighterX by Lorby that generates thermals over fires.

Yup, I know, I've tried it. In fact it was one of the first things I did try when I bought Firefighter lol

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

12 hours ago, jetsmell said:

Are there any sailplanes compatible with PREPARED v4?

I am using all of the Aerosoft gliders in P3D 4.3 without problems although they aren't officially supported. They are the only ones that work really well in VR.

EDIT: Just do a bit of research beforehand if you want to buy unsupported gliders there are a few things to know. For example the ASK21 radio needs a tweak to work.

Edited by glider1

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, I know, I've tried it. In fact it was one of the first things I did try when I bought Firefighter lol

Love creating a small bonfire in FirefighterX next to the field when spending the night out bush camping in the A2A 182. Looks great in VR.

The Waco CG4 glider, which you get with the Just Flight Douglas DC-3 (for FSX) works in P3D V4, as does the accompanying DC-3. But since the Waco CG4 weighs nearly 4,000 lbs when empty, and could carry a Willys Jeep, taking its weight up nearer its MTOW of 7,500 lbs, you're not going to be hitting FIA Diamond Heights in it lol, but it is nevertheless a glider which works in the sim.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just did some crazy gliding in xplane. Great tow, also does a winch launch. It was very satisfying.

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS