Sign in to follow this  
Fun

750 as com1 650 as com2

As the title says, how do I achieve that. I had the 750 first for awhile then purchased the 650. Had some trouble getting them to work together but have that all worked out now. The 650 acts as com 1 which is on the bottom of the stack. I want the 750 as com1, 650 as com2.

Thanks,

David 

Hi, this is very simple:

First, make sure to review the User's Manual for how to setup the devices.

Once done, please makes sure to use 'search' on the forum, with more than 1500 messages I'm sure this has been discussed already.

If not, let's assume a _2 device defaults to COM2/NAV2 while a _1 device defaults to COM1/NAV1.

And even so, the settings panel has the setting you are looking for, just make sure to scroll the list of options!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

First, I did look thru the forums for an answer. Second, I have messed with the settings panel and have read the install pdf.  It isn't very clear to me on how to do that. I may be missing something, I have really tried to figure this out. Will look again at the setting to see if I may have missed something.

With no disrespect intended, my observation is that there is an assumption that flight simmers can figure this stuff out on our own. There is a lot of us out here that some of this stuff comes hard for us. Your comment  " If not, let's assume a _2 device defaults to COM2/NAV2 while a _1 device defaults to COM1/NAV1." I have no idea what that means! I wish I did. I have really tried to figure this out. I'm sorry but it's beyond me. Some of the info is hard to understand for someone like myself who isn't a computer guru. Believe me I wish I was. Now put me in front of a race car and ask me a question or fix it and I'm the man. Computers, not so much.

Thank again for you help.

I really do like your product.

David

Well with more digging and experimenting I was able to figure it out! There is a lot of info that you give with this system that I have no idea how to use it or how to customize. It works as I want at the moment. A great product!! 

Edited by Fun
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fun said:

Well with more digging and experimenting I was able to figure it out! There is a lot of info that you give with this system that I have no idea how to use it or how to customize. It works as I want at the moment. A great product!! 

David,
Welcome. I am another user like you, not a support person.  Happy to see you made progress.  Please understand that if you were a real world aircraft owner who for just the first time had a Garmin GTN 750 (or 650) installed in your aircraft you would be facing a similar uphill struggle.  It's a fact that these simulator GPS models actually have more settings than their real world counterparts.  That's because an install technician in real life determines how to connect and configure.

Part of the chore of configuring the Reality XP GTN gauges is that they may interface somewhat differently from one simulator aircraft to another.  That is because the producers of the sim aircraft do not always write to the same standards.  Having said that, with some aircraft models it may take some trial and error to determine the settings that are most effective for that particular aircraft.  Be patient, read, and test...  It will pay off with a very good experience.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@Fun I'm sorry if I've left you this impression, it was not at all the intention. As you have now realized, the first step is to familiarize yourself with the settings panel as this is the key to your question, and it is best explained in the User's Manual.

Once you get this, my assumption about the forum might have been overzealous but really I mean it: there are so many messages there 99% of support questions are already answered.

Having said this, the _1 / _2 reference is a 'treasure hunt' hint. Once you open the User's Manual you'll see references throughout ending in _1 or _2, which should be enough to piece the puzzle together, like you've managed in the end!

Please, I value you comments and would certainly most appreciate any suggestions about how to enhance first "out-of-the-box" experience in the User's Manual. Maybe describing in more details what you've been through, what you've read, what you've understood, what you've realized were correct assumptions or not, and what led you to answers could help us a lot too.

We pride ourselves in delivering not only complete implementations of the Garmin devices, but as importantly, working implementations of the Garmin devices and you can see our forums suffer activity lately only because our products are sound stable (should you've been back in late august when Garmin has released the new GTN trainer v6.50 you'd seen the frantic activity all of a sudden!).

Enhancing our customer experience is as important as the gauges themselves. To this matter, we try harder in also offering an effective in-sim live GUI Panel Assistant, in-sim live Device Settings Panels, and I guess there is room to better our manuals!

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

if you were a real world aircraft owner who for just the first time had a Garmin GTN 750 (or 650) installed in your aircraft you would be facing a similar uphill struggle.

I can vouch for that. Lots of reading after the initial installation, then as each update comes out - more reading, questions asked from avionics installers, more reading to understand how to operate new functions. Lots to learn and keep learning.

David Porrett

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind encouragement. I do know this is very involved in learning how to install and operate. Look forward to many hours of fun and frustration! 😂

14 hours ago, Fun said:

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind encouragement. I do know this is very involved in learning how to install and operate. Look forward to many hours of fun and frustration! 😂

We are here to help. That is what Avsim is so much about.  Ask questions to clarify what you read, both in the user manual and in topics here.  Take things slow, one aircraft at a time, one step at a time. Again, much can be different from aircraft to aircraft, and you may likely find members here who have experience with them, one by one.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere