Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

ILS heading for KATL runway 28/10.

I have purchased Imaginsim KATL for FSX and also for P3DV4.3. If I look at the charts for runways 28/10 they are listed as 275 for RW28 and 95 for RW10. When I check the info for those runways in either sim using Imaginsim it lists them as 273 and 93. Which is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

The headings change over time in real life due to changes in magnetic variation. Over time, data you see on more current charts will diverge from whatever you have in the sim.

Thanks for the reply. So, you  are saying I should use the heading that is in the sim? I did that yesterday and I never captured the ILS on approach using 273 for rw 28. Maybe just a fluke.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

6 hours ago, Vineguy said:

So, you  are saying I should use the heading that is in the sim? I did that yesterday and I never captured the ILS on approach using 273 for rw 28. 

Yes. you should use the sim heading/track. The inbound track you set on the HSI is basically only for your reference and the intercept.

The ILS will be captured (and the AP follows) the correct inbound track regardless of the set track. If it didn't yesterday, a wrong heading/track isn't the problem.

If the sim heading/track is incorrect and doesn't match the chart values, it's possible that the ILS frequency has changed as well. Suggest to compare the frequencies as well.

Edited by FDEdev

Also, make sure your NAV 1 radio is tuned to the ILS frequency in FSX. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Tried it again with the same results. Nav radio is tuned to 111.75 course heading set to 273.

I've got the following number for the default database for KATL

26L 273° 108.7

26R 273° 110.1

27L 273° 108.5

27R 274° 111.3 

The sim has the wrong heading. It should be 275 not 273 and for runway 10 it should be 95 not 093.

The charts are correct, the sim is wrong.

Well, the sim doesn't care about the charts!  Furthermore the inbound course is irrelevant. Did you notice that the frequencies are different?

Btw, the sim isn't 'wrong'. It's database is simply as old as FSX. 

Edited by FDEdev

Just for giggles, I thought I'd look at the stock layout for P3D4 (I no longer use Imaginesim Airports). The stock airport (when viewed with ADE) does not have the 5th runway (10/28). I'll assume that the discrepancy is somewhere in the ImagineSim AFCAD file.

Looking at the AirNav website (from charts dated 18Sep14), the heading of the runway (at that time) was 95/275 with ILS frequencies of 111.55 and 111.75 respectively.

As FDEdev has pointed out, mag variation changes over time...he is also correct that FSX and P3D use a very dated nav database (which can be updated):  http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

I never fly into/out of KATL in P3D (did way too much of that in my professional life!). I was surprised that the 5th runway was not represented in the latest version of P3D.

Anyway, I would probably look to an error with your 3rd party software for the 5th runway. Truthfully, a couple of degrees isn't going to make a big difference on a correctly tuned ILS approach.

Rob

There is a file in the library that includes runway 10/28 and the proper information that works. I also was surprised that P3D didn't include them.

4 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

I also was surprised that P3D didn't include them.

There are more than 24700 airports/airfields in FSX/P3D. P3D exists since 2010 and in its initial version there wasn't a big difference compared to FSX.

You can't expect LM to recheck almost 25000 airports every few years and correct them if necessary.