Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Failed to Load Flight Plan

I'm a new 750/650 user.  I use Pro2ATC to plan flights and then they are exported for both X-Plane to use (as an .fms file) and then as a .gfp.  The most recent one (see below) failed to load although the .fms version was fine for the default X-Plane systems:

FPN/RI:F:KTOL:AA:KIND:A:SNKPT2(RW23R):AP:I23R.CLANG

Here is the .fms version:

3 version
1 KTOL 12000 41.58681 -83.80783
11 SNKPT 12000 40.23721 -85.39423
11 BABNE 12000 40.14026 -85.61896
11 CCUUK 11000 40.05906 -85.80867
11 FEMGO 8500 40.02916 -85.87061
11 CLANG 8500 40.01773 -85.90366
11 RACEN 5000 39.88345 -86.09437
11 DRVVR 4000 39.84627 -86.14207
11 CKERD 2600 39.79404 -86.20893
1 KIND 838 39.72831 -86.29288

Even when they do load OK, I note that there is more detail in the .fms version than in the .gfp version which can be seen in the ones above.  Should I be using another program for flight planning?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Hi,

In case this helps, I've just added a link to the existing flight planning tools discussion. You may follow through from here:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Great - I'll take a look.  Thanks!

Rick Abshier

By the way, just using Avsim Forum search with the following string ".gfp" gives:

For in-depth knowledge I'd recommend this discussion as well (found with search):

Search is your friend!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Looks like it is a known issue with P2ATC- thanks!

Rick Abshier

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Great - I'll take a look.  Thanks!

Here is a better link. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/540006-imported-flight-plan-from-pilot2atc-always-fails/ 
If you scroll to the last post you will find a link to the Garmin document with the full specs for a .gfp file. 

IMPORTANT: the Garmin document provides segment based examples.  ex. a section will spec out what is used for departure segments. Another spec's out what you use in an arrival segment.  Yet another details enroute specs.  Only toward the end of the document do they assemble examples of complete flight plans.  Also, if you are not using a published Departure or published Arrival the file spec changes.  ex. you do not use the DA or AA codes....  Very fussy...  And it is the Garmin file spec and Garmin Trainer at play here, not the RXP gauge.

I have made attempts with an Excel spreadsheet and Excel's concatenate function to build some .gfp files but have had mixed results when attempting Departures and Arrivals in the plans.  I found it is much easier to spec out a very general flight plan with only departure and arrival airports plus entry waypoint, airway(s), and exit waypoint.  The departures and arrivals are just to easy to call up in the gauge after importing the general flight plan.  I have found too many mismatches between the gauge database and the database in use in the external flight planner, such as LittleNavMap or Pro2ATC.  

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Good info - thanks!

Rick Abshier

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

If you scroll to the last post you will find a link to the Garmin document with the full specs for a .gfp file. 

This document also installs with the RXP GTN. Please refer to the User's Manual p9 footnote!