Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Is adverse yaw well modeled in P3D?

Just now, FDEdev said:

Huh?

Your name, FDEdev.

So you're not a developer?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What on earth has FDE development to do with being a CFI?  Since is way OT I suggest you PM me if you want to discuss this any further. 

If you're not a developer & not a CFI, then what are you?

What makes you qualified to make general statements about the safety record of CFIs?  I'm just wondering why you feel the need to degrade CFIs just to make a point?

You don't need to degrade other members, just to make your point. If you want to increase your post count, this is a good time to do it.

Just now, FDEdev said:

What on earth has FDE development to do with being a CFI?  Since is way OT I suggest you PM me if you want to discuss this any further. 

NO PM required. This is no big deal to me. What is a big deal to me a Pilot safety.

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I'm just wondering why you feel the need to degrade CFIs just to make a point?

Looks like you didn't even read my reply to Bobsk8.  I was only pointing out that because someone is a CFI this doesn't automatically imply that he is correct and/or knows everything.

3 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Looks like you didn't even read my reply to Bobsk8.  I was only pointing out that because someone is a CFI this doesn't automatically imply that he is correct and/or knows everything.

CFI don't know everything. That's why they believe in the old adage that a good pilot is always learning.

When you make a statement about CFIs and their safety record, you are implying that you know more than the CFI. I take safety seriously. On the other hand this is a flight sim forum, so I'll end this conversation.

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

On the other hand this is a flight sim forum, so I'll end this conversation.

roj

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

and you have proof? Is it in the hundreds or thousands? Non-sense!

I do not have any fancy credentials or statistics to show off.  So I would have to say this is my opinion based from years of real world experience.  My point is that just because u are a licensed pilot does not make u an expert.  There are way to many guys out there with to much money flying beyond there ability.  To think otherwise is naïve. 

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

51 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I do not have any fancy credentials or statistics to show off.   

Just take a look here:  https://aviation-safety.net/

It's frightening how many GA planes are crashing almost every day, and especially on weekends.

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Just take a look here:  https://aviation-safety.net/

It's frightening how many GA planes are crashing almost every day, and especially on weekends.

Most of these accidents are caused by pilots that don't take recurrent training and think that the rules of aviation don't apply to them. Flying into IMC conditions, poor understanding of aerodynamics,  feeling like they can fly the plane backwards, and failure to maintain control of the aircraft they are attempting to pilot are the leading causes. Occasionally I have had the misfortune to fly with one of these idiots, and after one flight, never repeated that mistake. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Most of these accidents are caused by pilots that don't take recurrent training and think that the rules of aviation don't apply to them. Flying into IMC conditions, poor understanding of aerodynamics,  feeling like they can fly the plane backwards, and failure to maintain control of the aircraft they are attempting to pilot are the leading causes. Occasionally I have had the misfortune to fly with one of these idiots, and after one flight, never repeated that mistake. 

My Dad always pounded into my head to watch out for the "seasonal" pilots with a lot of money and little common sense.  They thought having the latest and greatest equipment would make up for the weak piloting skills and lack of air time.  We always joked around how easy it was to spot these guys just by what car they drove to the airport. 

Matt Wilson

44 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

How many of these cases did you research before you came to that conclusion?  The first 2 that I looked at appear at first glance to be engine trouble on takeoff...one of the most difficult situations faced by pilots of all experience levels.  

The 4000 hour ATP that continued VFR into IMC despite reporting to ATC  the attitude indicator as unreliable definitely raises an eyebrow. But it’s really easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. 

Chris

37 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

How many of these cases did you research before you came to that conclusion?  The first 2 that I looked at appear at first glance to be engine trouble on takeoff...one of the most difficult situations faced by pilots of all experience levels.  

The 4000 hour ATP that continued VFR into IMC despite reporting to ATC  the attitude indicator as unreliable definitely raises an eyebrow. But it’s really easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. 

Without wishing to be a Monday morning quarterback, in fairness I do think it is fairly well-established statistically that VFR in to IMC (press-on-itis) and loss of control in-flight (for a multitude of reasons) are very high up the list of reasons why GA aircraft crash, as are fuel-related problems (and again, a large proportion of those often end up being pilot-induced, either through fuel system mismanagement or poor decision-making leading to fuel exhaustion).

Now, that should not characterise all PPL holders, by any means, but it is sadly true that there are very few truly unavoidable aviation accidents (whether we are talking about commercial aviation or GA) and there are many examples of pilots of all experience levels (and flying everything from microlights to Boeing 737s) flying otherwise serviceable aircraft, or aircraft with very minor faults not affecting the overall controllability of the aircraft, in to the ground.

Of course, the reality is that pilots are humans and, as Alexander Pope once said, to err is human... pilots like any other human beings will always make mistakes and poor decisions. The key, however, is the ability to recognise when a chain of events is starting to build and taking action to break that link. The most important thing to remember of course is that no pilot involved in any accident sets out to crash and thinking 'that could never happen to me' is invariably a very good way to ensure it does... 

There is an excellent book called "The Killing Zone" by Paul A. Craig, an instructor and accident investigator, which analyses the GA accident rate and the huge spike in the fatal accident rate amongst pilots with between about 50 and about 350 flying hours -- well worth a read, if you haven't already, for anybody with an interest in the causes of aviation accidents or who flies, or is interested in learning to fly, an aeroplane!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Without wishing to be a Monday morning quarterback, in fairness I do think it is fairly well-established statistically that VFR in to IMC (press-on-itis) and loss of control in-flight (for a multitude of reasons) are very high up the list of reasons why GA aircraft crash, as are fuel-related problems (and again, a large proportion of those often end up being pilot-induced, either through fuel system mismanagement or poor decision-making leading to fuel exhaustion).

Now, that should not characterise all PPL holders, by any means, but it is sadly true that there are very few truly unavoidable aviation accidents (whether we are talking about commercial aviation or GA) and there are many examples of pilots of all experience levels (and flying everything from microlights to Boeing 737s) flying otherwise serviceable aircraft, or aircraft with very minor faults not affecting the overall controllability of the aircraft, in to the ground.

Of course, the reality is that pilots are humans and, as Alexander Pope once said, to err is human... pilots like any other human beings will always make mistakes and poor decisions. The key, however, is the ability to recognise when a chain of events is starting to build and taking action to break that link. The most important thing to remember of course is that no pilot involved in any accident sets out to crash and thinking 'that could never happen to me' is invariably a very good way to ensure it does... 

There is an excellent book called "The Killing Zone" by Paul A. Craig, an instructor and accident investigator, which analyses the GA accident rate and the huge spike in the fatal accident rate amongst pilots with between about 50 and about 350 flying hours -- well worth a read, if you haven't already, for anybody with an interest in the causes of aviation accidents or who flies, or is interested in learning to fly, an aeroplane!

Well said. I know this has gone way off topic. My concern is that we as pilots be cautious of an attitude that writes off the people involved in these accidents as simply idiots with no business flying. While some may, in fact, be idiots with no business flying, it is dangerous attitude that lends itself to overconfidence in one's own superior judgment or skill.

• Like 1

Chris

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

We always joked around how easy it was to spot these guys just by what car they drove to the airport. 

Ok, can you advise me what car not to buy please? :biggrin:

S.