Sign in to follow this  
wrights35

New to PMDG, but flew the real B-747 400 for UAL

I purchased the PMDG B-747 Basic package for FSX thinking I could buy the FSX software to run it online. Where is it for sale on DVD? I found a 10G dowload at Steam, but does this require you to be online to use it? I would gladly  pay the $26 if it can be used offline. 

I used a really early version of PMDG that ran with FS2000 Professional about ten years ago, but doubt this would work today. Can anyone help me buy an FSX package on DVD or download to get me stared?

PS. As a retired UAL pilot, I  found running PC Simulations of aircraft I flew on the line, a great help in holding off cognitive decline that can start even before retirement. If this happens before retirement, the sims can tell you that it might be a good idea to retire early or spend more time flying sims like PMDG to stay current. Thanks to software like this, I know more about the FMS now, than I did when I actually flew the airplane. I would have killed to have the chance then to practice for flight checks and recurrent training that is available now through this type of technology. 

Tom Wright

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, wrights35 said:

I purchased the PMDG B-747 Basic package for FSX thinking I could buy the FSX software to run it online. Where is it for sale on DVD? I found a 10G dowload at Steam, but does this require you to be online to use it? I would gladly  pay the $26 if it can be used offline. 

You can use FSX Steam offline. If Steam can't establish an internet connection it will give you a popup when you try to start FSX- just select 'start in offline mode' and you should be good to go. Of course, you need an internet connection to buy and install the game, but if you happen to lose your connection the download will pick up from where it left off. 

Having a download version is a lot better than DVDs, which you have to worry about storing, scratching, and loosing. Also, the steam version has a couple of very minor updates from the boxed edition. That's not to mention that it seems like every boxed edition of FSX is selling for an insane price- I guess people who own it are trying to cash in by marketing it as 'vintage' or somehow special because the game hasn't been developed for over 10 years.... 

Edited by avgaskoolaid

Welcome Captain.  Would you consider getting P3D instead and the PMDG bird for that platform?  If you're ever going to spend any real time PC flying, then you'll be glad you made the investment down the line.  FSX had a great run, much like the venerable 744, but you'll be missing out on a lot at the same time.  P3D is the next-gen offshoot of FSX, and while there's tons that can be done on FSX, it will only take you so far.

Regards,

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dal330200 said:

Welcome Captain.  Would you consider getting P3D instead and the PMDG bird for that platform?  If you're ever going to spend any real time PC flying, then you'll be glad you made the investment down the line.  FSX had a great run, much like the venerable 744, but you'll be missing out on a lot at the same time.  P3D is the next-gen offshoot of FSX, and while there's tons that can be done on FSX, it will only take you so far.

Regards,

+1000, and John forgot to mention P3D v4 is now a 64 bit app, which means, no more OOMS

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

49 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

+1000, and John forgot to mention P3D v4 is now a 64 bit app, which means, no more OOMS

I think you better clarify OOM's in case the OP is not too familiar with these situations. (Out of memory situations, where a program uses up all it's allocated memory assigned to it and then terminates). 64bit Sims such as Prepar3D v4 have mainly eliminated this,but older programs such as FSX which is 32bit is still prone to this issue. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

To answer the original question, FSX on DVD is widely available on Ebay.  Also I am certain someone here might send you their old copy.  

John

I have had FSX-Steam for exactly three years with almost no problems or hassles, and run it off-line all the time...

But you should know that either FSX or P3D requires a somewhat upgraded PC to properly run them.  You should check-out some of the PC specs other simmers in this Forum use to see how your system compares.  

I don't think the PMDG 747 for FSX will run on P3D(?).  Plus, it's a lot more bucks for all P3D/PMDG products...

3 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

I don't think the PMDG 747 for FSX will run on P3D(?).  Plus, it's a lot more bucks for all P3D/PMDG products...

The FSX version of PMDG's 747 will not run in P3D.  PMDG sells a version specifically for P3D.  I agree with the others on this thread that you should consider installing P3D (Lockheed Prepar3D v4.3) instead of FSX since P3D is under continual development and is a very significant improvement over it's much older cousin, FSX.  It will cost you more for P3D, but you get a current, and much more mature 64-bit application for your money. 

However, as was mentioned earlier, whether you go with FSX or P3D, you will need a heftier PC to handle the whistles and bells that go along with PMDG's B747.

Enjoy!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hi Tom! The advice of everyone here regarding Prepar3D is certainly correct for a long term smart investment, especially if you have a few bob to spare to get started. Basically you need to buy the simulator and the aircraft again from PMDG. Non-one can help you decide which version of the sim is right for you as such discussions are against forum rules (too many inherent legalities to navigate).

Seeing as you say you already have the PMDG FSX 747 base package you might be interested to know that FSX Steam edition is on sale at $9.99 instead of $24.99 right now (cheap either way!). You can't really go wrong jumping on that price and having a massive well supported sim in the bank (no future development for sure but considerable online support for the sim).

As regards system specs, if its the systems of the plane you seem to be more interested in keeping up to date with than looking out the virtual window at eye candy then FSX will do the job fine for now, just start off turning all the graphics sliders down for scenery so your cockpit is realistic rather than the world outside.

I run FSX Steam all the time and use most of the PMDG products. They run fine on my beast system and they ran fine on previous less beasty systems too albeit with less of the eye candy. Just make sure your PC meets at least the minimum specs and preferably the recommended specs and you are good to go!

Plenty of great info in the forums here for probably all you could want to know for the simulators and PMDG planes, if you can't find something just ask everyone is friendly!

Whatever decision you make you WILL be kept busy , boredom will not be an option !

Edited by sloppysmusic
alliteration!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Tom,

I agree with the others that you would be better off in the long run with P3D. The owner of PMDG also used to be a pilot for UAL. If you tell him your story, perhaps you can charm him into exchanging your PMDG 747 FSX version for a P3D version. With your experience they may even ask you to beta test for them.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4