Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

Uh oh. I just joined the P3D club. ;)

So.... I was a hold out. No particular reason other than I was able to finally enjoy FSX:SE for a while after they fixed up some bugs. I've had my fill, so I decided to see what the next level can do for me. She's downloading now. Oh Lord,  what have I done. lol

I have not even begun to read the posts in here. Is there anything important that I need to know before I get too far in?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

2 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

So.... I was a hold out. No particular reason other than I was able to finally enjoy FSX:SE for a while after they fixed up some bugs. I've had my fill, so I decided to see what the next level can do for me. She's downloading now. Oh Lord,  what have I done. lol

I have not even begun to read the posts in here. Is there anything important that I need to know before I get too far in?

Yes, embrace it.. 

Welcome to the dark side *ahem*  x64 side :wink:

S.

• Upvote 2

Just now, simbol said:

Yes, embrace it.. 

Welcome to the dark side *ahem*  x64 side :wink:

S.

😎

• Upvote 1

André

The most difficult task when installing P3D v4 is pointing the installer to D:\Prepar3D V4.

Read this: Prepar3D v4 Download and Installation Directions.

Once You have a clean install. Make a backup copy of its folders jut to be safe when installing NON P3D v4 addons.

Edited by RamonB
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RamonB said:

The most difficult task when installing P3D v4 is pointing the installer to D:\Prepar3D V4.

LOL... I guess I'll find out shortly. I think I'll figure it out.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

If you would like P3D to look similar to what you are used to, here is a starter set of settings (assuming you have a reasonably fast computer..)

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off
Screen resolution:  1920X1080

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

Lighting
shadow quality:  high
draw distance: low
casting and receiving: Internal vehicle only

Dynamic lighting: off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.05
Saturation 0.97

Dynamic reflections: off

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bert

28 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

Hi...

You will be assimilated - resistance is futile...

:wink:

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

20 minutes ago, RamonB said:

Read this: Prepar3D v4 Download and Installation Directions.

Once You have a clean install. Make a backup copy of its folders jut to be safe when installing NON P3D v4 addons.

Thanks! I read the install document while it was installing. 🤓 I was able to relocate it to G:\P3D\Prepar3D V4\ without issue. I was planning on making a "fresh install backup" as soon as it competes the installation. Is it best to backup everything before 1st startup, or should I start it up and let it do the registration bit and then exit before I do so? 

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you would like P3D to look similar to what you are used to, here is a starter set of settings (assuming you have a reasonably fast computer..)

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off
Screen resolution:  1920X1080

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

Lighting
shadow quality:  high
draw distance: low
casting and receiving: Internal vehicle only

Dynamic lighting: off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.05
Saturation 0.97

Dynamic reflections: off

Thanks, Bert!

5 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

Is it best to backup everything before 1st startup, or should I start it up and let it do the registration bit and then exit before I do so? 

Run it once so it finishes doing whatever it has to do on first run. (It creates some files)

• Like 1

I would suggest that the most important thing 'before you get too far in' is to not fall into the trap of adding everything including the kitchen sink to it, but instead be selective in what you add. Starting with a new base simulator is an excellent opportunity to do that.

• Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

My advice is install addons one at a time, then launch the sim and test.  That way if something goes wrong, troubleshooting will be much easier.

Alan

46 minutes ago, Chock said:

I would suggest that the most important thing 'before you get too far in' is to not fall into the trap of adding everything including the kitchen sink to it, but instead be selective in what you add. Starting with a new base simulator is an excellent opportunity to do that.

+1

48 minutes ago, Chock said:

33 minutes ago, exeodus said:

My advice is install addons one at a time, then launch the sim and test.  That way if something goes wrong, troubleshooting will be much easier.

Thanks guys. That's great advice. It's also pretty much my normal modus operandi.

I just fired it up, did a quick pass through the configuration options. Sorry Bert, I just maxed everything just to see what it would do on my rig (i5-8600K @ 4.9Ghz, 16Gb, GTX1060 6Gb). I'm really mad. Mad I didn't do this earlier. I took off in the Mooney from 15L at BWI and was seeing 115+ FPS. It occasionally dropped to around 65-75, but only for short blips. Overall, she was smooth as silk. Nice! I like the new flight models. It no longer feels like you are taxiing on quicksand. Acceleration feels more "normal". I needed a much longer roll before getting above v1 than I did in FSX, and the plane actually felt like it had some weight to it on landing. Nice and solid. Sometimes landing in FSX felt like you were swatting a feather to the ground.

Here's the list of addons that I already have that I plan on installing.

• GSX 2 - This is compatible
  • Orbx (Global Base, NA LC, Vector, NCA, SCA, PNW, and the freeware airport pack plus a few single freeware airports) - This is compatible. From what I've read, there aren't any issues above and beyond the expected resource usage. Is that correct?
  • Taxi2Gate KMCO - ( Not specifically ported to P3Dv4 yet, but I have seen a few posts around from people saying they had it working. If anyone has any further info on this, I'm all ears.)
  • LatinVFR KBWI - This is compatible
  • Flightbeam KIAD - This is also compatible
  • Rex HD Airports - This is compatible

I currently use AS2016 in FSX and I can upgrade to the P3Dv4 version for $21 right now, so unless there is a better choice of late, I'll go with that.

I'm currently using WoAI for traffic. I haven't checked, but I'm gonna say it probably won't work. I'd take suggestions.

And since LM didn't give us any tubeliners, I guess I'm gonna have to get the PMDG 737NGX, he says kicking at the dirt with his toe. Blast you! Evil LM.

I'm running the fresh install backup right now. I can start screwing it up right after it gets done.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

And since LM didn't give us any tubeliners, I guess I'm gonna have to get the PMDG 737NGX, he says kicking at the dirt with his toe. Blast you! Evil LM.

I'm running the fresh install backup right now. I can start screwing it up right after it gets done.

If you had the FSX iFly 737 NG, you can get the P3D V4 version for half price. There is a coupon for this on its flight1.com product page. The same is true for the iFly 747-400, and there is even a discount available for this if you had the FS9 version!

I know it is annoying to have to buy stuff 'again' for P3D V4, but this is kind of what I was alluding to in suggesting not adding everything to a new P3D install; think carefully about what add-ons you use and which ones are hangar queens and you'll find the ones you do use a lot will justify their price.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The other piece of advice I would give to anyone new to P3D is not to expect too much "straight out of the box". Despite what some people claim, default P3D looks a lot like FSX. It may have significantly more graphical "tricks" up its sleeve, but special effects can't hide the fact that the default terrain and airports are still quite basic to look at. It's the addons that make the difference.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png