Sign in to follow this  
rcoultas

Chase Plane and PMDG

For any old timers here, remember the days when VHS and Beta were competing technologies for video recording?  VHS finished on top and became the standard for VCR's, but those within the industry knew that Beta was the better technology, but didn't have the money behind it.  The same thing is happening here, where CP has significant positive word of mouth advertising, but it can't produce effects to the degree that EZdok does.  If you want super effects taken from weather engines (FSGRW for me) then EZdok is for you.  If you want ease of use, then CP is for you.  We'll see what Ezdok V3 looks like, and the debate will likely continue on.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, ph-cxz said:

Don’t try to sell your product here. But I don’t know if it is against pmdg forum rules. 

He just has.

I haven't got Ezdok. I can't find a straightforward, easy to follow tutorial on how to set it up, but it's one I've been toying with for ages.

Might wait for Ezdok v3 and then try again.

Bernard Walford

Me personally, I'm not really looking for effects, as much as I'm looking for smooth ez camera transitions without having to chase my Track IR cursor all over the screen. 

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

On 11/1/2018 at 12:41 PM, 30K said:

Get chaseplane. EZdock is the reason for dozens of posts here.

Chaseplane‘s camera shaking probably equals the posts... Unfortunately (in this case) competition increases development, each of them needs to be better than the other and this leads to features that most people probably don’t need but which make problems. The most prominent „problem feature“ might be mentioned cockpit shaking effect that killed the ground handling here and there or made the flight model behave irrationally as it moves the airplane instead of the camera. If both would stick to the camera functionality which the addons are ACTUALLY for, we would probably not have ANY issues at all using them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

camera functionality

Yes, I do know why EZdock is the reason for the posts. 

That's why chase plane is superior to EZdock, as this program does what it's actually supposed to do - move the camera. The ground shake is very nicely done.

• Like 2

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

1 hour ago, 30K said:

s this program does what it's actually supposed to do - move the camera

good to know, thanks!

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:18 AM, krazyk said:

The 'Always online' function is supposedly going to be changed where you don't need to have a persistent online connection in order to use the add-on but we're on v1.0.9 at the moment and I haven't seen anything to suggest this has changed.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, mtrainer said:

I did loose my Internet connection for a few hours one weekend, and I couldn't enjoy flying without CP, so I'll second the idea that allowing it work in a local mode would be ideal.

Mark Trainer

Don't  know  where  you getting  your information  from about  chase  plane  not  working  offline,  since  its  has  been  fixed  for  about  a year or  so  where  it   doesn't  matter  if  your  online or  offline  it  will still work

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well that is good news Peter, it must have been over a year ago then, because I clearly remember feeling bummed out when the Internet was down and CP wasn't coming up  as available.

Mark Trainer

20 minutes ago, mtrainer said:

Well that is good news Peter, it must have been over a year ago then, because I clearly remember feeling bummed out when the Internet was down and CP wasn't coming up  as available.

Mark Trainer

yep so were a lot of  other  users  as well🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I do own chaseplane and its a wonderful addon.. although, call me crazy, but I have stopped using it and now i manually assign camera views thru the aircraft.cfg file.. the main reason is chaseplane causes 5 to 10 fps drop.. i have tested this like a dozen times and urge others to try the same.. just disable chaseplane and fps should go up by at least 5 - 7.. I did report this on their forums as well.. they couldnt notice it.. has anybody else seen this fps drop? 5 fps is life and death in an already old and burdened sim like P3D.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Havnt  noticed  it  all,  sure if  you  move  your  sliders  back you gain more  or  if  you  remove  some  of  your  scenery  you  gain more,  but  heck I gave up  watching  the  fps years  ago

Edited by pete_auau

Peter kelberg

Can't get ChasePlane turbulence effects right, I've never tried EZDok, but Opus used to have it spot on. The issue with ChasePlane is that it swings only vertically (heave), can't seem to make it swing laterally and longitudinally. Anyone by chance solved this?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

18 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Can't get ChasePlane turbulence effects right, I've never tried EZDok, but Opus used to have it spot on. The issue with ChasePlane is that it swings only vertically (heave), can't seem to make it swing laterally and longitudinally. Anyone by chance solved this?

To be honest, the sim community has this odd concept of things you really don't notice that much in the actual plane. If someone can help you get it to your own idea of "right" then that's great, but I'd argue that turbulence effects are largely overblown. Your eyes/brain naturally filter a lot of shake out, and the bounce that the sim adds to the gauges is rather overblown. For this reason, I usually just turn all of it off.

Next time you're in front of a mirror, get close to it and allow your eye to focus on one of the blood vessels on the white of your eye. Now tilt your head to the right some, and notice that your eye actually rotates in the socket as much as it can to remain relatively level to the 'horizon'. This is something a lot of people don't notice, but the mechanics of your eye are pretty complex. Not only does it do that on a mechanical level, your brain is doing a lot of filtering and processing of the data for it to all make sense. That being said, the only time you really notice turbulence visibly is when it's particularly bad. It has to overcome the speed and reaction time of the muscles controlling the eyeball (remarkably fast - ever get that test where they puff air at your eye at the optometrist?) before you really notice things, though if the turbulence lasts, the threshold for this decreases (your eye muscles tire out just like any other muscle, so if you go through heavy turbulence for a while, subsequent encounters could be lighter, but still be more noticeable because your eyes are less able to filter the movement out for you.

Kyle Rodgers

16 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

For this reason, I usually just turn all of it off.

Ditto... I remember when the bumping effects during B744 taxi first landed on us during testing and I think the entire beta team shouted out "turn it down!"  Even now and in spite of the fact that I like it I'm not sure it is realistic.

Turbulence is not a visual experience, it is like driving a car over a bumpy road.  It is something you feel but of course there is no such feedback in a PC simulator so attempts to simulate the experience with visual effects are all you got... but it's not realistic.

As most pilots have I'm sure, I've been bumped around so hard I have a hard time reaching for the frequency knob on the radio but it wasn't because the knob was bouncing.... no, I was the one being tossed about and I had to steady my reach to grab that knob.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

35 minutes ago, downscc said:

As most pilots have I'm sure, I've been bumped around so hard I have a hard time reaching for the frequency knob on the radio but it wasn't because the knob was bouncing.... no, I was the one being tossed about and I had to steady my reach to grab that knob.

I was thinking about this example exactly as I was writing, and as I was thinking about it, I remembered that it was more to do with the momentum of my arm and that interplay, rather than my vision getting shaken around.

I have a picture from way back in the day where I was leaving (edit: back into, based on the frequencies and direction) JYO, which is under a Bravo shelf, and near some low ridgelines. The wind coming off of those will shake you around a bit if it picks up some. In order to actually do anything with the radios, I had to brace my hand on the panel. You can see me trying to hit the swap button, but instead of my index finger, as usual, it was my thumb, as I braced my hand with the rest of my fingers.

*reminisces not to fondly of the times he flew Chickenhawks*
(In all seriousness, while I don't prefer them, I wouldn't trade that old initial flying for anything.)

DSC_8666.jpg

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers