Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

The Great Orbx Confusion

Interesting post by Frooglesim this morning re Orbx site  'requirement' that XP11 Southampton purchasers have Orbx TE Great Britain South 1st.

Orbx website may have changed this now to 'recommended', but the discussion brought out a few things I didn't know. JV suggested airports will work without regions.

T45

Edited by Treetops45

Very shady by Orbx.

Their website has always said certain regions were REQUIRED for certain airports. I don't know how that could be interpreted any other way.
I have very few Orbx airport as I couldn't be bothered to spend nearly $50 on a region just to use an airport I already paid ~$30 for. For example I've always held off buying KBZN because I did not want the Rockies region. It's nice to learn that it is only technically "recommended" and will work without the region; however, it certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I wont be buying any more Orbx products unless they are heavily discounted.

Disappointed in how Orbx handled this as well, not once admitting fault for this, but instead claiming as if it was always known that REQUIRED products were apparently only "recommended."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I remember downloading my first Orbx product it was YMML V2 and while it was downloading I then discovered it required the region also.i was so mad at myself for not reading first.I installed the airport no problem except the abrupt appearance when the airport boundary and default textures clashed...

Maybe someone could answer this question tho. Orbx Southampton for x-plane was described  by froogle as a port over from P3D. The beauty of x-plane is non-perfect runways (slopes & dips etc. ) is a direct port over airport going to have perfectly flat runways we have in P3D, just curious.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

How is this shady? It’s clear as day that Orbx have always designed their airports to sit on top of their regions. I think they have made that clear since they made YMML back in 2008. I don’t think they have ever made an airport for default anything.

i certainly wouldn’t buy one of their airports without their region tech under it, that’s just the way their ecosystem works. All this “debate” is just background noise by people who don’t get how Orbx sells their stuff.

oh and last time I checked you have always been able to buy just their airports by themselves  from their website. They just won’t look as good without their regions. Seems clear to me.

edit: here is a post from the Orbx forums from five years ago where Jarrad Marshall recommends a region to go with a new airport and the reasons why it won’t look good without it https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58093-time-for-a-holiday-introducing-broome-international-airport-ybrm/?do=findComment&comment=524591

And another one regarding Jackson hole, back in 2013:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/59356-bowerman-airport-questions/?do=findComment&comment=538821

I expect there are probably hundreds of such similar answers on their forums over the past ten years. Again, nothing “shady” about this and in fact they make it quite clear when asked.

edit: another one from Tim Harris seven years ago, explaining the exact same thing quite clearly https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30725-explained-missing-cairns-autogen-scenery/?do=findComment&comment=264329

Edited by fta2017
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I have all of Orbx products (all for P3D and XP11) and, needless to say, they are all awesome. I enjoy them very much.

I have no complaints if they want to structure their sales a certain way.  They know what is best for the airports that they put so much time, talent and effort to design.

Why would they want to sell an airport and have people complaining that it looks like a big patch in their scenery.

It's not anything that is misrepresented at all on their part. 

If someone doesn't want to buy the complete scenery package, then they will have a patch of beautiful scenery at the airport location, and they will know why.  No big deal.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

There's no doubt why the 99% or ORBX's customers have their airports located on top of his regions, as this is the way they are designed. I'm really feel indifferent about saying/reading if they "required" or "recommended".

Anyway, good point by Frooglesim.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I don't think its shady....  it's been that way for FSX and P3D.  XP people might not understand that.  However, sometimes their global airports require FTX global but if you already own a region they work just fine.  Basically you need something with their libraries.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It has always been my understanding that ORBX airports would work without the regions or global installed but the airport boundaries may stand out without them. You do still need to install the ORBX libraries though. I assumed ORBX said the regions or global were required so people wouldn't complain on the forums about the visible airport boundaries with the default scenery.

I used the freeware airport scenery for a long time before I bought anything from ORBX. It was the freeware airports that got me to buy the payware scenery so I guess the marketing worked.

Ted

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I just hope that before this topic is possibly closed (or even deleted), that the emotions are kept to a level where complete truth and facts are still complete truth and facts.

This is a time to not think selfishly, but think of others too. Big picture thinking is extremely important here because Orbx is such a huge part of this community.

☮️

14 minutes ago, pracines said:

Big picture thinking is extremely important here because Orbx is such a huge part of this community.

Mmm, so does that put them above criticism?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

The issue seems to be getting "bigger". Now it's on the news at FS Elite.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Like clockwork..... news sites love to embellish and create drama.  For the froogle guy to make a video with the title screaming "the great orbx confusion" is beyond ridiculous.  LOL.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

As Ted clearly explained above, this is such a non-issue that it is laughable that there even is any debate about it. Remember, Frooglesim was the guy who kept saying that DTG was going to sue LM over its P3d marketing approach.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

Mmm, so does that put them above criticism?

Thanks for asking. Its important to take all of what I said in context.

No company or person is "above" truth. Also we know that no company in flight simulation is "safe and secure".

I have my opinion on the matter; I know it will be deleted. But even more important than my opinion, is that as a community, we don't get hostile to each other, that's why I wrote why complete facts and truth need to stay at the forefront of the conversation. If we remain unselfish as well, this can be good for the bigger picture.

My hope is that we all learn a good lesson from this.   

• Upvote 1

Whatever happened........

ORBX is now on sale, Magic Pumpkin Sale. up to 50% discount.