Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

The Great Orbx Confusion

Bought "Manchester - Barton" when it was released and it fits seamlessly with XP default and I suppose their new release "Southampton" will do the same.  It's become human nature to suspect any outfit taking your money for what they're selling.  Life itself is a conspiracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Like clockwork..... news sites love to embellish and create drama.  For the froogle guy to make a video with the title screaming "the great orbx confusion" is beyond ridiculous.  LOL.

I love Froogle because he is our consumer protection advocate.  

Whether someones wants to buy the full scenery that is "required/recommended or whatever", at least they can buy with open eyes and awareness because Froogle has held the vendor to the truth. 

I'll still buy everything that Orbx makes.

Thank you Froogle!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hello all,

Froogle, from the FroogleSim YouTube channel, made a video about some confusion regarding the purchase of Orbx products. It seems that when Orbx said that you required some region or another product they actually said that said product was recommended, not required. See the video on Froogle's channel for more details.

The Orbx Confusion

Edited by Rodrigo Barbosa

This is too funny. ORBX has been selling stuff like this for years, and if you don't understand why it's better to have one of their regions under their airports, you really only have yourself to blame.

It didn't take a notice from them or a rocket science course for me to figure that out right at the start.

• Like 1

I think the point is the wording that they use.  It shouldn't be listed as a prerequisite, but maybe as a optional add-on to get the best experience.  Quite honestly it's why I avoided a few of their regional airports as I did not want to have to buy a 'region' with them, which is what the product pages said (for FSX/P3D).

A simple response with a 'that is actually correct, here is why we did it, and we've corrected it' would have deflated this before it became a big thing.  Either way I know now I can buy a regional airport and not need the underlying region.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

They never did say wit looks better with the region installed.  What they did say was it is required.

re·quired
/rəˈkwī(ə)rd/
adjective

1. officially compulsory, or otherwise considered essential; indispensable.
    "eight editions were published, each required reading for trainees"
    • in keeping with one's wishes; desired.
      "the corset, the garment that ensured the required female shap

Froogle was right in this case.  It is good to know that they will work though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

Did everyone get a chance to watch the video?

The way John reacted to this in comments was not the most professional.

Whether another product is required or not for a given airport and no matter if it always has been or it’s a new thing, the wording is misleading on the website.  

Writing copy like that should address brand new people to the ecosystem as well as people that have been around forever and may know the rules of the road

It’s a fair criticism that should be addressed by Orbx and likely tweaked on their site to be more accurate. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

To those saying they are confused by how others didn't understand that certain regions were  NOT "required", you must explain to me how you came to these conclusions. The site explicitly stated things were "per-requesites" or some in some cases the wording was "required". How is your command of the English language so great that you took this to mean the opposite and how do you not see this as rather shady by ORBX? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Maybe not shady.  We do know English is not John's native language.  I would put it as misleading and probably accidental but there was no need to criticize Froogle for relying on their advertising.

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

Froogle making a whirlwind out of nothing I suspect for hits to his channel. Yes, the airports do kind of work without the regions, but they can look odd and understandably anybody who just buys the airport without the region might be surprised to learn this. 

When I did Barton, I made it so that it would blend nicely with the upcoming central region (which I'm doing at the same time), but it absolutely does work without it. EGHI is the same, it's developed to look nice with TrueEarth, but it will run without and on your own Ortho4XP scenery or whichever. The things you're likely to see when not using with the regions are colour differences between the ground textures/trees etc. I think however that this is less of a problem on X-Plane than it is on the P3D version, possibly because we're used to it 😁. Try sticking something like UK2000 airports now into TrueEarth to see how striking colour differences can be, and you can probably then understand ORBX's stance on this. Of course it should come as no surprise that they complement each other and one helps sell the other

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Like clockwork..... news sites love to embellish and create drama.  For the froogle guy to make a video with the title screaming "the great orbx confusion" is beyond ridiculous.  LOL.

Yes, and it has the exact effect Froogle and other sites want, for people to be talking about them, visiting their sites and getting hits/attention. It's a pity Froogle stopped making decent simming videos some time ago (and jush rehashes news), but clearly put some effort into this response to try to prove his point.

9 minutes ago, harrry said:

We do know English is not John's native language. 

He's an Aussie? Unless you're implying Australians can't speak English 😂

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tony I always enjoy you and your work but honestly don’t you think it would be more correct for the Orbx website to more clearly lay out what you’re saying right here as a good explanation of the “requirements”?

More clarity and transparency on their website about what to expect in either situation is the way to clear this up and be a good business.

I don’t feel the need to get into all the personal stuff about this and that… I really enjoy Froogle‘s videos so I take him at his word here and I think what he laid out speaks for itself honestly. 

I find it to be a bit of a stretch to say that he’s doing this for clicks… But that’s just my opinion. 

Cheers

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Yes, and it has the exact effect Froogle and other sites want, for people to be talking about them, visiting their sites and getting hits/attention. It's a pity Froogle stopped making decent simming videos some time ago (and jush rehashes news), but clearly put some effort into this response to try to prove his point. 

I think everyone understands that they will look better when used with other ORBX products but that has nothing to do with the wording used. Are you saying Froogle (whom I seldom agree with) does not have a valid point in this case?

• Upvote 1