Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

The Great Orbx Confusion

21 minutes ago, tonywob said:

He's an Aussie? Unless you're implying Australians can't speak English 😂

Well he has claimed to be a dutchman when I once said he was an Aussie....he may well be both we have people from all parts of the world so I guess with people say sex instead of six or who mash tea it could be said english skills are variable.

in his own words in another forum

"Deal with it Bert, you're a big boy. A dutchman calling another dutchman arrogant, that's priceless" 

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

Froogle FUD. Please lock this topic. 🔐

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

3 minutes ago, irrics said:

Tony I always enjoy you and your work but honestly don’t you think it would be more correct for the Orbx website to more clearly lay out what you’re saying right here as a good explanation of the “requirements”?

Well, reading the product page for EGHI, I see "For the best experience, ORBX TrueEarth Great Britain South should be purchased and installed prior to using this airport.". But people seem to be taking it as some sort of big conspiracy to force people to spend more money and mislead them, and it isn't. Of course ORBX would like customers to spend more money and buy both (they're a business after all), but they're not forcing people to do so.

9 minutes ago, Bigt said:

I think everyone understands that they will look better when used with other ORBX products but that has nothing to do with the wording used. Are you saying Froogle (whom I seldom agree with) does not have a valid point in this case?

Yes, but like I said, he is being very overdramatic and making far more of it than it is. 

12 minutes ago, irrics said:

I don’t feel the need to get into all the personal stuff about this and that… I really enjoy Froogle‘s videos so I take him at his word here and I think what he laid out speaks for itself honestly. 

This is off-topic and I'm not specifically talking about ORBX or even Froogle here, but there are many "Youtube Experts" out there who review or make statements that are just completely wrong and people will believe them. I know this from personal experience with people who have reviewed stuff I've done in the past and have given false information and false technical advice, often making up statements and facts on the spot. For a company this can hurt sales, for an individual doing freeware, it's an annoyance. There are some Youtubers who are very good and meticulous and will research things correctly first and put a lot of effort, there are others who just don't care. 

You are quoting a website entry which has been changed after (and because if) the Froogle webcast.  Shady?

If a company states as it did that something is required and I then purchase the software without having the prerequisite what kind of support would I expect to get.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 3

Harry Woodrow

For EGHI and EGCB, nothing would break or be missing by not having the region installed. In this case, any support request would be valid and I doubt it would be turned away. But if the support request was that the airport is a different colour than say the Ortho4XP tile then I suspect in that case the request wouldn't be honoured. Hence the "For best experience" part.

It’s really odd. 

I’m on my phone right now and on mobile it strangely doesn’t actually say the part about it being recommended, but it does still say the part about the requirement of the England region.

EDIT:  my fault  I wasn’t on the xplane version page  This is tough on Mobile… LOL

So on the other versions of that airport the England region is actually a requirement?

As I said at the very top of this post, the page I was on for the non-XP version did not say the part about it being recommended but did say that england was required

Honestly I’m not trying to be argumentative I’m just trying to look at this objectively.  Misleading text that just happens to mislead you into buying more products shouldn’t be there on a site for a company with good ethics. 

I just feel like they should change that required text under pre-requisite’s and perhaps add a page that clarifies all this for customers.

That seems really fair in terms of an expectation on the consumer side.

Edited by irrics

6 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Froogle making a whirlwind out of nothing I suspect for hits to his channel.

Yeah, Froogle knows this "revelation" from long long time ago (years) ... most using Orbx products are aware "it's required if you want it to blend well and not have elevation issues etc.", but there is nothing stopping a user from just installing the airport without the Region (just try it, nothing blocking the installer if the region isn't found) ... I would find it hard to believe that anyone using Orbx products for the last decade or so wouldn't be aware of this "revelation". 

This is really Froogle's interpretation of "required" ... for 99% of us who want blending and correct elevations and for the Airport to work well with it's surroundings, then yes it is required.  Orbx never said "required in order to be able to install" ... heck FTX central doesn't stop one from installing the airport without the region installed, doesn't even issue a warning. This is entirely Froogle's interpretation or expectation of what "required" meant.  You can't assume from what is NOT said/written ... advertising will leverage that concept to the nth degree ... it's standard business practice.  

Maybe Froogle should take the time to point out the Orbx freeware  (42 products and counting)?  Maybe Froogle could point out the "Free" upgrades for FSX to P3D and it's versions?

7 minutes ago, irrics said:

I honestly find it a bit of a stretch that he’s doing this for clicks

Then why does his video start with advertisements and has advertisements part the way thru the video?  If he wasn't doing this for clicks, then he wouldn't monetize the video with ads.  I have nothing against Froogle or anyone trying to make a buck on YouTube especially since producing a video takes money, work, time, etc.  But if one chooses to allow advertisements in their video, then clicks are important to them.

Cheers, Rob. 

12 minutes ago, harrry said:

You are quoting a website entry which has been changed after (and because if) the Froogle webcast.  Shady?

Well I'm trying to offer both sides here and of course it makes it awkward since I'm involved with the region in question, but I'm also a consumer as well and have bought ORBX products in the past fully aware of why they list them as requirements. I know it wasn't intentional, nobody at ORBX specifically went out of their way to mislead anybody and be shady, and I'm really amazed it has blown up into the next big news item of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know about the ad thing Rob.

Isnt that-just his normal sponsor intro?

Perhaps he should’ve done a separate intro for this video…

That’s a fair criticism.

I just mean more high-level, I find it hard to believe he’s talking about this issue simply to draw attention to his channel, particularly this type of attention.  I’ve never gotten the impression he’s that type of character after all these years of watching his videos. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonywob said:

know it wasn't intentional, nobody at ORBX specifically went out of their way to mislead anybody and be shady,

That’s really good to hear and I think they should just change that pre-requisite text and add some clarity here perhaps with a separate webpage that addresses this specifically as you so eloquently have here on the site tonight

Anyhow I’m off to the sack… Good to chat with a few of you. 

Hope orbx tidys the site up to avoid any issue on this in the future. 

Cheers all

11 minutes ago, irrics said:

Isnt that-just his normal sponsor intro?

There is more than just one "intro" advertisement (watch the entire video) ... but again I don't really care that he has sponsors or advertisements as I have no issue with someone wanting to get some monetary rewards for their effort ... it certainly has some of the title drama for click bait, but I agree that his current level of views/subscribers isn't going to make him rich any time soon.

But making a big deal out of the word "required" and how he interpreted that from a web page that's advertising product ... I mean geeez, I could point you to a couple Million Web pages that do that ... XP11 finally gets a big name content provider with great support and quality products and Froogle wants to pick apart the word "required" ... why?

Cheers, Rob.

36 minutes ago, irrics said:

So on the other versions of that airport the England region is actually a requirement?

As I said at the very top of this post, the page I was on for the non-XP version did not say the part about it being recommended but did say that england was required

It's just semantics. The P3D airports do install and work without the regions, but they probably won't look as good as the developer of that airport intended and may have problems, weird elevation issues etc. Personally, if I had developed a P3D ORBX airport, I'd just bite the bullet and say "The region is required", especially if that's what I had developed it to work on.

32 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

This is entirely Froogle's interpretation or expectation of what "required" meant.  You can't assume from what is NOT said/written ... advertising will leverage that concept to the nth degree ... it's standard business practice.  

Sorry, but definitely no. Go over to Oxford dictionary and look "required" up. It is NOT Froogle's interpretation, the text how it is written in the product pages on ORBX clearly say's that for the use of the product, another product is mandatory (just another way to describe a required addition). The argumentation here is somehow rather ridiculous, sorry to say, but certainly not consistent. Just read throught the product pages, there you will also find sentences like:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or above is required by FTX Central v3"

With your understanding of "required", this would equally mean FTXC runs without NET Framework 4.5. Does it? No.

Even more, it is written:

"To download and install this product you will need FTX Central v3"

Not "require", "Need". Again Oxford: "Require (something) because it is essential or very important rather than just desirable." Funny, no? Oxford uses the word "require" to describe what "need" means.

So, no, I disagree. If you write the sentence on your product page that ORBX does:

"You require at least one of the following products to use.."

clearly states without any room for interpretation that the following product(s) is/are MANDATORY.

And no, this is not "standard business practice". Just think a second about other comparable examples and you will realize that there you as well would go nuts.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hmmm... Maybe it's just the fact that i've been using ORBX for years now and have a very clear understanding of what their products do, that I was able to understand that you can obviously install an airport on any scenery, but it will obviously blend better with ORBX stuff.

I mean seriously, do we not have this logical thinking ability?

If ORBX had actually used the term Required, then that is wrong, however who's to say it wasn't a mistake because I have never seen the word required before. Recommended? Yes. Not Required.