Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

If you were buying a new monitor now, what would you get?

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a new monitor, so I would like to ask you for some inputs.

Purpose: it is my main home PC, which I use for flight sim, other games (casual), watching movies, some occasional graphics work (not professional) and other typical tasks.

My PC:

• Intel i7-8700K (will be overclocked)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
  • AsRock Z370 Extreme4 MOBO
  • Corsair H115i liquid CPU cooler
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D case
  • SSD 256 GB for system and some software, SSD 1 TB for flight sim, HDD 1TB for the rest

Setup: I would like to have the new monitor as my main and keep my current one as secondary (in flight sim, it could be for map display, web browsing while in flight etc.). I currently have a 23" 1080p Philips monitor.

My options:

My budget is, let's say $500.

Apart from size and resolution, what monitor would you recommend for my purposes? IPS or VA?

Thanks, Tomas 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Tomas,

We're on similar tracks - this just arrived last night - looks impressive in the box...

I decided I didn't want the 4K on the monitor but I did want Gsync to work with my NVidia GTX 1070 Ti...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TTXLW5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott, thanks.

Can P3D benefit from G-Sync? I've got the 1080 Ti, but the monitor that you sent me is way above my budget. I don't know, I just feel that I will benefit more from 4K than G-Sync 🙂

Tomas

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

19 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Hi Scott, thanks.

Can P3D benefit from G-Sync? I've got the 1080 Ti, but the monitor that you sent me is way above my budget. I don't know, I just feel that I will benefit more from 4K than G-Sync 🙂

Tomas

Hi Tomas,

Not entirely sure - theoretically - G-Sync is supposed to sync the monitor Refresh Rate with the FPS - this reduces or eliminates those dreaded micro stutters - granted it's a pricey option... Free-Sync only works with AMD video cards - so I don't think you will see any benefit from this with your NVidia card... If you're not in a rush - the monitor is part of a complete new system build for me - I can give you a review of my setup once I get it going - probably a couple weeks (I'm only home on weekends to work on it)... It's replacing a 20" 4:3 monitor that I've used for many years - so - for me - this upgrade should be substantial - already noted the monitor is HUGE compared to what I'm used to...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

8 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Tomas,

Not entirely sure - theoretically - G-Sync is supposed to sync the monitor Refresh Rate with the FPS - this reduces or eliminates those dreaded micro stutters - granted it's a pricey option... Free-Sync only works with AMD video cards - so I don't think you will see any benefit from this with your NVidia card... If you're not in a rush - the monitor is part of a complete new system build for me - I can give you a review of my setup once I get it going - probably a couple weeks (I'm only home on weekends to work on it)... It's replacing a 20" 4:3 monitor that I've used for many years - so - for me - this upgrade should be substantial - already noted the monitor is HUGE compared to what I'm used to...

Regards,
Scott

I would be mostly concerned that 1440p will not look the best on a 32" screen.

Tomáš Pokorný

1 minute ago, Thomasso said:

I would be mostly concerned that 1440p will not look the best on a 32" screen.

Hi Tomas,

Understood - in all the reviews I've read - mostly extremely positive - I didn't see that issue mentioned by anyone... I didn't want the 4K resolution bogging the system down - so that was part of my decision making process - I'm on a 7700K CPU so I'm a generation behind you...

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

ROG PG279Q   .....I'm not looking at a monitor, I'm looking through a window.

And, if your system is dialed in ....you won't need vysnc or Gsync (you'll appreciate the extra performance headroom on approach into LAX)  ....I use the 144+ (i'm at 150Hz) refresh rate instead with fps locked.

Oh, and IPS will come in handy during the winter months, if flying in a pmdg level cockpit (night time flying is fun).

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

ROG PG279Q   .....I'm not looking at a monitor, I'm looking through a window.

And, if your system is dialed in ....you won't need vysnc or Gsync (you'll appreciate the extra performance headroom on approach into LAX)  ....I use the 144+ (i'm at 150Hz) refresh rate instead with fps locked.

Oh, and IPS will come in handy during the winter months, if flying in a pmdg level cockpit (night time flying is fun).

Where can I get that for $500?

Tomáš Pokorný

13 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Where can I get that for $500?

You’re gonna have think outside of the box ....

1 minute ago, FunknNasty said:

You’re gonna have think outside of the box ....

I don't understand, I clearly stated that my budget was $500 and here you are, sending me a $700 one. Could as well send me a $2000 one, which I'm sure is better than the one you recommended.

• Upvote 1

Tomáš Pokorný

13 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

I don't understand, I clearly stated that my budget was $500 and here you are, sending me a $700 one. Could as well send me a $2000 one, which I'm sure is better than the one you recommended.

Deleted ...sorry, man.

Edited by FunknNasty

Tomas,

I'm also looking at monitors and have decided on this BenQ one. https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/designer/pd3200u.html

Now I know it's above your budget but you have a quality system which deserves a quality monitor that will outlast two or three PC upgrades.

The BenQ can do 3840*2160 @ 30Hz which is ideal for P3D. Check if that LG can do the same. Look at the tech sheet.

As for the other resolutions you listed I have already tried P3D on a 27" 2560*1440 and it wasn't significantly sharper than my 32" TV at 1920*1080. That higher res is only 30% greater than Full HD. I've seen P3D on a 28" Samsung UHD monitor and it was really sharp. But you need to consider scaling on such a small display. Text will be tiny although Windows 10 scaling helps.

But the 1080Ti is more than capable of running 3840*2160 so you should consider a UHD display. Just be aware that to get 30Hz you have to run in full-screen mode which negates secondary monitors from showing an image. I'm 90% sure that is correct.

It's reviewed here and looks a good buy. Only an VA panel so if you can find some extra money then the IPS panel on the BenQ will be better.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Thomasso said:

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a new monitor, so I would like to ask you for some inputs.

Purpose: it is my main home PC, which I use for flight sim, other games (casual), watching movies, some occasional graphics work (not professional) and other typical tasks.

My PC:

• Intel i7-8700K (will be overclocked)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
  • AsRock Z370 Extreme4 MOBO
  • Corsair H115i liquid CPU cooler
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D case
  • SSD 256 GB for system and some software, SSD 1 TB for flight sim, HDD 1TB for the rest

Setup: I would like to have the new monitor as my main and keep my current one as secondary (in flight sim, it could be for map display, web browsing while in flight etc.). I currently have a 23" 1080p Philips monitor.

My options:

My budget is, let's say $500.

Apart from size and resolution, what monitor would you recommend for my purposes? IPS or VA?

Thanks, Tomas 🙂

Hi Thomas-go with your favorite. People will debate forever about the best monitor and I noticed today's the last day of this sale!  Can't go wrong with an LG.

• Upvote 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Ray, thank you, but I currently can't go above my budget because I'm doing an overall upgrade of my PC and want to purchase several P3D add-ons as well.. And other things in my life, not a millionaire yet 😉 Just fresh off college with my Master's. And I'm from the Czech Republic, where average monthly salary is roughly $1500, so I don't have the luxury to buy everything instantly. Maybe when I'm buying the next monitor, I will be a millionaire and I won't have to think like this 🙂.  We'll see.

Thanks, I think that I will pull the trigger 🙂 I can't use that sale since I don't live in the US, but we actually have a pretty good deal here too at the moment. I also think that LG is a solid brand. It doesn't have 30 fps, but that extra cost is not worth the price for me right now.

• Upvote 1

Tomáš Pokorný

Tomas, understood. With your Master's degree it's only a matter of time before the Ferrari is sitting on the drive and any monitor you want is sitting on your desk!

The LG will give you a great picture and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather